Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Amp Input - Normal or Bright
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Amp Input - Normal or Bright Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Open back or closed back cab?

I looking to get an extension cab for my Fender Super Camp XD. I have been reading a lot of information about the two. Does it come down to personal preference or is there more to it...?

Thanks, LD

Laylas Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Personally, I'd go with an open back cab if lower watts and a closed back if higher.
Gibson67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mine is open. I have the VCXD. 5 watts
jflintmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 24th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylas Daddy View Post
I looking to get an extension cab for my Fender Super Camp XD. I have been reading a lot of information about the two. Does it come down to personal preference or is there more to it...?

Thanks, LD
I believe there is more to it than just preference. I'd recommend A/B-ing the cabs you are interested in. I'm sure they will sound different.

Old August 24th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

My understanding is that a closed back may have more bass, and, unsuprisingly, an open back will sound, ahem, more open.
I have heard my amp through a closed 2 x 12 and in an open back 2 x 12 combo cab, and there was a suprising difference. My taste was for the open back, but I prefer a more 'rootsy' sound. (same drive units).
Celeste would be a good person to ask.

Old August 24th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

It is personal preference, but I have found that it depends on the bass response of the amp. For example, a bass-heavy amp sounds better though an open back cab whereas a closed back cab can retain or add bass to an amp.

Old August 24th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

There's a lot of variables, I was just trying to give a simple answer. Speaker options, size of box, ported, front loaded vs rear loaded etc...

Yeah, I agree with Joshua, see what you like and go from there.

Old August 24th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson67 View Post
I was just trying to give a simple answer.
Simple? That's for other forums.

Old August 24th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Oh damn, got busted! I better get back to the Marshall forum...

Old August 24th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Yes, so many variables!

I think the safe bet is to get a closed back cab.
Try it out closed, then unscrew the back and tilt it out little by little, supporting the back panel with a chair.
This way, if you prefer the sound with an open back, you can get an idea of the slot size.
I found the slot, or back opening makes a difference, some open back cabs have too much of an opening for me.
Once you guesstimatated the slot opening size from tilting it open, take the closed back panel and, cut the covering down the middle of the proposed slot.
With a heat gun and some care, peel the covering back both directions, cut the slot- 2 cuts, one on each side, then you can wrap the covering back around the edges.
Here are two photos.
First shows one I slotted.
Second shows another old cab, I like to use some speaker cloth on the slot, to help keep dust out,and looks pretty good. It is a work in progress, I intend to recover this old cab.

Benny Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

^ Great idea, Thanks!!!
Laylas Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylas Daddy View Post

Thanks, LD
LD, here is my solution and BTW i prefer it open backed for now
Attached Thumbnails
Open back or closed back cab?-img_6192.jpg  Open back or closed back cab?-img_6193.jpg  
tommytele is online now   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

A lot depends on what you play and what you expect to get out of it. If you play in drop tunings or a baritone, then a ported cab designed around the speaker of your choice is the way to go. If you play in standard tuning, but bass is really important to you, then a closed back is the way to go.

Now for the gray area. Open backs interact with a room more then closed. That can be a good thing or it could be bad. When it is good, it can be wonderful, but when it is bad it can be all mud. the guitarist is less likely to notice it because he is most likely in the "Nearfield" where reflected sound is dominated by direct sound. If you are expected to fill the room with sound from your equipment, and how you sound to the audience, then open back can be a problem sometimes, where closed back is more consistent. If you are mic'ed into a PA, it is not your problem. If you are just a home picker, again likely you are in the nearfield and it does not matter.

My default cab is closed back, but I tell customers to feel free removing the back and see how it works for them. If they come back saying they really want it open, then I cut the back into three pieces and make a "convertable" out of it. They can leave the center 40% out while still having protection for the speakers
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Did you have your Super Champ alter for a extention cabinet? My Super Champ did not have an extention out.
stubewan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Don't forget about whether the speakers are designed for open or closed back as well. Most guitar speakers are OK with infinite baffle but not all.

Old September 18th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I prefer closed back, but I've been messing around with my Class 5's stock speaker the last couple days. I figured I would try it, in the 11 months I've had it, I haven't ever used the speaker, just my 4x12 all this time. So far I like it, the bass isn't as tight, but it does sound really nice.
Stratoholic is online now   Reply With Quote