Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Amp Input - Normal or Bright
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Amp Input - Normal or Bright Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related

Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Peavey Delta Blues vs. Fender DRRI

I've been looking for a new amp to replace my Blues Jr. For a while I've wanted a Fender Deluxe Reverb and it's nearing the time for an upgrade. Today I went by a local music store and saw they had a used Peavey Delta Blues. It was the combo with a 15" speaker and had an external cab that was 4x10. For the cab and combo amp they want $550. It's not in the best of shape, the tweed and grill cloth both have some tears and smudges but it actually looks kinda cool. Road worn but not too much. It sounded great too! a lot louder than a DRRI(30 watts compared to 22 watts). This particular model is older and doesn't have the logo plate on the front. The speakers are all no-name, they're just black on the backs. Now the question for you all is which one should I get? I love them both but I don't know what to get! Used they're about the same price, the Peavey is a little cheaper though. What is the DB like, quality, sound and reliability? Compared to a DRRI? Is the price right for it? Any help would be so greatly appreciated guys
Thanks!

Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesRock41 View Post
I've been looking for a new amp to replace my Blues Jr. For a while I've wanted a Fender Deluxe Reverb and it's nearing the time for an upgrade. Today I went by a local music store and saw they had a used Peavey Delta Blues. It was the combo with a 15" speaker and had an external cab that was 4x10. For the cab and combo amp they want $550. It's not in the best of shape, the tweed and grill cloth both have some tears and smudges but it actually looks kinda cool. Road worn but not too much. It sounded great too! a lot louder than a DRRI(30 watts compared to 22 watts). This particular model is older and doesn't have the logo plate on the front. The speakers are all no-name, they're just black on the backs. Now the question for you all is which one should I get? I love them both but I don't know what to get! Used they're about the same price, the Peavey is a little cheaper though. What is the DB like, quality, sound and reliability? Compared to a DRRI? Is the price right for it? Any help would be so greatly appreciated guys
Thanks!
Oohh... you're getting the 4X10 cab too? I would definitely pick the Peavey, I'm a pretty unabashed fan of the Peavey Classic series. I don't know if the new ones still are, but mine was made in the USA, was built like a tank, and I never had a problem with it. Hauled that amp around everywhere. I kind of had the opposite of that setup - 4X10 Peavey Classic 50 amp, with the 1X15 ext. cab. With that combination of speakers it just sounded so big.

AVRI '62 Strat. MIJ Jazzmaster.
'67 Fender Pro Reverb.'78 Fender Vibro Champ.
'87 AVRI '62 Precision Bass (my baby).
VentilatorBlues is online now   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentilatorBlues

Oohh... you're getting the 4X10 cab too? I would definitely pick the Peavey, I'm a pretty unabashed fan of the Peavey Classic series. I don't know if the new ones still are, but mine was made in the USA, was built like a tank, and I never had a problem with it. Hauled that amp around everywhere. I kind of had the opposite of that setup - 4X10 Peavey Classic 50 amp, with the 1X15 ext. cab. With that combination of speakers it just sounded so big.
Thanks! Yeah this is a slightly older model and is made in the USA! I think I'm going to go back and buy it tomorrow. They said they would do $550 on the whole deal I'm going to offer $450 and see where we can go from there. It does sound huge! Its just ridiculously amazing sounding!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 24th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member!

the DRRI doesnt sound huge

sounds good but not huge

I like 1x15 amps a lot the peavy is no exception.
Willspear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

You are unlikely to loose money on either one used if you decide you don't like it, so that is not really an issue, but you might make money on the Peavey. that is not a setup that you will likely see again, a used DRRI you will see at that price again next week. Get the Peavey, if it is not right for you, sell it and get the DRRI
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
a lot louder than a DRRI(30 watts compared to 22 watts).
I assume you've already heard the DRRI and came to the conclusion that the DB combo is a lot louder?

If you haven't heard the DRRI yet, do yourself a favor and go hear it. Then decide which one's best for your needs.

(In other words just buy the DRRI and never look back )

Old April 24th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I bought the peavey delta blues! I'm happy with my choice. And in response to the post above I have played the DRRI extensively in many occasions and I can safely say that the DB is louder IMO and sounds better for what I want. I couldn't compare them side to side but I played them both so I made the right call. Its such a huge sounding amp! I love it!

Old April 25th, 2012, 06:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Cool man! Congrats - those are AWESOME amps. The DRRI is also cool, but it is a very specific sounding amp and if THAT TONE isn't within the realm of what you do, you'll be far better of with the Delta Blues imo. Good choice.

Old April 25th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

It's louder largely because of the speaker difference as well. A 15" speaker will sound louder than a 12" and if you had the extension cab hooked up there is absolutely no comparing. And they likely aren't no name speakers but the stock Peavey Blue Marvel speakers. They didn't always come with the sticker on them. Good buy man. I'm a big peavey fan. A 2x10 delta blues is on my GAS list.
"As essential as it is to digest your heroes so that you understand technically what they are doing, it’s more important, when the time is necessary, to let it go and be yourself. You have to do that.."-Eric Johnson
Teddy Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

The DRRI has that sparkly Fender clean that no Peavey has ever matched. DRRI also a wonderful reverb (I don't think the Delta Blues has any reverb). Both have a great Tremolo.

The Delta Blues will have raunchier, warmer rock sound. You need to listen to both side by side if possible. Your sound preference is the most important factor.
orcslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2012, 08:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcslayer View Post
The DRRI has that sparkly Fender clean that no Peavey has ever matched. DRRI also a wonderful reverb (I don't think the Delta Blues has any reverb). Both have a great Tremolo.

The Delta Blues will have raunchier, warmer rock sound. You need to listen to both side by side if possible. Your sound preference is the most important factor.
Delta Blues has reverb
"As essential as it is to digest your heroes so that you understand technically what they are doing, it’s more important, when the time is necessary, to let it go and be yourself. You have to do that.."-Eric Johnson
Teddy Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2012, 08:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcslayer

Trust me, the delta blues has spring reverb

Yeah I love the clean sound of the DRRI and it's better than that DB but the DB can get really close. I'll probably buy a DRRI someday too

Old April 25th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Watkins
It's louder largely because of the speaker difference as well. A 15" speaker will sound louder than a 12" and if you had the extension cab hooked up there is absolutely no comparing. And they likely aren't no name speakers but the stock Peavey Blue Marvel speakers. They didn't always come with the sticker on them. Good buy man. I'm a big peavey fan. A 2x10 delta blues is on my GAS list.
Good to know about the speakers! Thanks!