Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Amp Input - Normal or Bright
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Input - Normal or Bright Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related

Old July 15th, 2013, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

Anyone got a Mesa Express PLUS???

Ok here is the scoop. I used to have one of the original Express 5:25 combos and I've really been missing that amp lately, both the cleans and the gain. I sold it to get a Mini Rec thinking I needed more gain, but the Mini Rec was a MAJOR disappointment.

Anybody here have the Plus version? I hear the cleans are more similar to the Lonestar now, which would be a huge plus. And, I also have been wanting a more do it all style of amp to replace my Maz 18. I'm tired of one trick pony amps given that I play such a wide array of music.

Old July 15th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

That Express 5:25 can give you what you're lookin' for. I'm still diggin' mine. Since you mentioned "plus" version tho', I had to check that out as I never heard of those..... until now. First thing to catch my eye was the graphic Eq it has compared to the previous version. Judging by what I've read, it's even more versatile than before.
zag1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Actually got to try one at lunch, the 525. Loved it, but I don't think it can replace my Maz. The Maz is just such an excellent amp...think I'll have to pass for now.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 15th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Mesa Boogie Express Plus 5:25 Guitar Amplifier
gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Futurologist

My take on these is basically they too the Express and swapped out the contour knob for a five band slider setup. Which I don't understand because anyone who is inclined to use sliders is going to use an EQ pedal on the front end. I've never heard anyone play MB that wanted to boost the mids instead of scoop, although like martians they may exist somewhere in the universe. Personally I prefer the one knob.

If I'm wrong about this someone set me straight.

b.

Old July 15th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarott View Post
My take on these is basically they too the Express and swapped out the contour knob for a five band slider setup. Which I don't understand because anyone who is inclined to use sliders is going to use an EQ pedal on the front end. I've never heard anyone play MB that wanted to boost the mids instead of scoop, although like martians they may exist somewhere in the universe. Personally I prefer the one knob.

If I'm wrong about this someone set me straight.

b.
My main interest was in that they supposedly included elements of the Lonestar amps in the Plus models with a total revamped clean channel. I've wanted a Lonestar for years, but would want more gain than they have on tap.

I'm about 95% positive I'm keeping my Maz, but one day I'll get a really cool Boogie and pair it with my Maz.

Old July 15th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Custom Shop Cat

Tone King...Sky King! Check this amp out and see if it meets your demands. I own a mesa 5 50 and I have played the 5 50 plus models. I like my old one over the plus model, just saying.
sevycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

If you get a chance check out the TA 30. Very versatile and through my Mesa 2x12 cab plenty loud enough for most anything. :-)
62CIJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Also checking out the Lonestar amps. Honestly, I had an amazing talk with a dealer yesterday and he basically said that the Maz 18's foundational clean works so well with pedals, that he wouldn't trade a Maz for any Mesa amp, and he loves Mesa. He was telling me about the Mesa Flux Drive and that it gives you the liquid Mesa overdrive singing tone and then I could keep the cleans I love with the Maz....

Probably going to get a Flux Drive!

Old July 16th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue
Also checking out the Lonestar amps. Honestly, I had an amazing talk with a dealer yesterday and he basically said that the Maz 18's foundational clean works so well with pedals, that he wouldn't trade a Maz for any Mesa amp, and he loves Mesa. He was telling me about the Mesa Flux Drive and that it gives you the liquid Mesa overdrive singing tone and then I could keep the cleans I love with the Maz....

Probably going to get a Flux Drive!
I don't know about the flux drive, but if you've got an amp that you are happy with, you can get some really great tone using pedals. I recently went through the same situation where I wanted one amp that can cover the entire gamut of my playing styles, and since I knew I'd never sell my Hot Rod Deville, I went on a pedal quest. I've got 3 OD pedals on my board, along with an EP Booster, and I couldn't be happier.I've got a variety of options that I can use with single coils and humbuckers. I've got light gain from my paisley drive, moderate gain from my tube screamer. Medium/high gain from my OCD pedal, and when I stack the OCD and TS, its high gain VH territory. For now, I am lovin my setup. There's nothing I can't do!

Old July 16th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyp View Post
I don't know about the flux drive, but if you've got an amp that you are happy with, you can get some really great tone using pedals. I recently went through the same situation where I wanted one amp that can cover the entire gamut of my playing styles, and since I knew I'd never sell my Hot Rod Deville, I went on a pedal quest. I've got 3 OD pedals on my board, along with an EP Booster, and I couldn't be happier.I've got a variety of options that I can use with single coils and humbuckers. I've got light gain from my paisley drive, moderate gain from my tube screamer. Medium/high gain from my OCD pedal, and when I stack the OCD and TS, its high gain VH territory. For now, I am lovin my setup. There's nothing I can't do!
One thing I've noticed from drive pedals is that most of them are one of two things, they are either A) grainy or B) mid-humped. I've yet to find a smooth syrupy lead pedal that adds real thickness and girth to the tone. So, I started listening to demos of the Lonestar and I swear that has got to be the best lead tone I've heard, and there are people getting that tone on youtube even if they aren't the greatest players so to speak. Hope that doesn't come out wrong lol

Anyways, so I've read the Flux Drive can add that Mesa liquidy thick lead tone to the amp, so I'm going to give it a go. I've always been an Andy Timmons fan and his lead tone is just out of this world.

Old July 21st, 2013, 08:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I've got a 5:50+. Couldn't tell you how it compares to the cleans on other amps but set at 50 watts it compares well with my Twin if that helps. Not exactly the same but just as good in its own way. If you're looking for drive plus lots of headroom you might want to consider going with the higher wattage.

BEACHBUM is offline   Reply With Quote