Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > DIY Channel > DIY Amp Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

DIY Amp Forum Building your own amplifier? Talk about here. NON-COMMERCIAL ONLY

Old December 23rd, 2011, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I have an noob amp DIY question. What's it take to build an amp cab? I know a speaker(s) and simple stuff. But is there a special jack that's used? How do you wire one up? I can build the body of the cab and that kind of stuff I'm just curious about the rest. Also where could I get some good grill mesh and something to cover the cab in as well as corner pads?
(I'm looking to put a small wattage head on it so I'm thinking 2 separate cabs with 8"-10" speakers or one whole cab)

blackSG1995 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2011, 11:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

You can hardwire the speaker box itself and put a plug on the end of the cable. Most amps have a 1/4" input jack for speakers.

Truethfully though you really need to start with the amp itself to see what it requires.
Most of the parts can be found on Ebay and for good prices.
jflintmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2011, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

So basically the wires for say one speaker go right to the jack? I would use a mono jack for this right? Just 2 soldering tabs for the hot & ground?

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 24th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

In the spirit of Christmas, I'll remove that post. ...sigh...

rcolesooner's Channel
rcole_sooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Hey, you need to make the box up. Birch ply is usually a good bet for the baffle (the wood at the front for the speaker), you may need a few 6mm t-nuts and a few 6mm bolts for bolting the speaker onto the baffle, that's what I use and they are a better job than just screws. The covering stuff is called tolex usually and its an acquired art to stick the stuff on, I recommend some glue that isn't solvent based. Solvent based stuff can react with the tolex. You will also need a handle, corner protectors and some rubber feet. I don't know where you are in the world but I am in Europe and I use a site called Tube-Town.

Here are some links that might give you an idea, you may want to find an American site but I use these guys all the time and they are 100%, never had a problem. Also Google tolex tutorial and there are some really good guides out there.

http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/ind...rillcloth.html

http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/ind...ing-parts.html

And as for the Jack, yes its just red wire is signal and black is ground, a mono Jack will do the job.

Hope this helps you out a bit

Oh and if you're doing this I would get as many things as possible from the one place, ends up saving a lot on postage and you get everything at once so you can get down to work.

Just be aware that if you are making more than a one speaker cab your ohm rating will be different if your speakers are in series or parallel.
jazzycian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackSG1995 View Post
I have an noob amp DIY question. What's it take to build an amp cab? I know a speaker(s) and simple stuff. But is there a special jack that's used? How do you wire one up? I can build the body of the cab and that kind of stuff I'm just curious about the rest. Also where could I get some good grill mesh and something to cover the cab in as well as corner pads?
(I'm looking to put a small wattage head on it so I'm thinking 2 separate cabs with 8"-10" speakers or one whole cab)
Could you keep us posted on your progress ?
Materials n such
thomquietwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomquietwolf

Could you keep us posted on your progress ?
Materials n such
Yea I'm looking around still. I'll post something up when I decide. I know I'm probley going to use Jensen speakers. Probley 2 side by side (vox/fender style) wired in parallel. I found a good site for the material you wrap the cab in and grill mesh. It's a little pricy but I'm still looking around.

http://www.usspeaker.com/amp%20coverings-1.htm

Old December 30th, 2011, 12:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzycian
Hey, you need to make the box up. Birch ply is usually a good bet for the baffle (the wood at the front for the speaker), you may need a few 6mm t-nuts and a few 6mm bolts for bolting the speaker onto the baffle, that's what I use and they are a better job than just screws. The covering stuff is called tolex usually and its an acquired art to stick the stuff on, I recommend some glue that isn't solvent based. Solvent based stuff can react with the tolex. You will also need a handle, corner protectors and some rubber feet. I don't know where you are in the world but I am in Europe and I use a site called Tube-Town.

Here are some links that might give you an idea, you may want to find an American site but I use these guys all the time and they are 100%, never had a problem. Also Google tolex tutorial and there are some really good guides out there.

http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/ind...rillcloth.html

http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/ind...ing-parts.html

And as for the Jack, yes its just red wire is signal and black is ground, a mono Jack will do the job.

Hope this helps you out a bit

Oh and if you're doing this I would get as many things as possible from the one place, ends up saving a lot on postage and you get everything at once so you can get down to work.

Just be aware that if you are making more than a one speaker cab your ohm rating will be different if your speakers are in series or parallel.
Do you know if they ship to the U.S.? Looks like a great place to buy the stuff (not sure how cheap the things are but still)

Old December 30th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I'm building 2 speaker cabs using the AX84 plans. I'm using 3/4-inch birch ply for the carcass, 5/8 birch ply for the front baffle and rear panels, and oak and cherry for the battens. I've got all the wood cut, but I need to get a bunch of T-Nuts for the front and back panels.

I've got about 70 bucks in the 2 sheets of plywood (still have enough left over to build at least 1 more cab) and I already had the oak and cherry for the battens. I figure to drop another 30 bucks for the jacks, jack plate and Tnuts and screws, corners and feet. You could get away with drywall screws for the front and back panels, but I want this thing to last. Tolex is 12 bucks a yard, 34 bucks a yard if you want real Fender stuff. I got all the hardware and tolex (along with a Jensen 12-inch speaker) at www.tubesandmore.com.

Now I know why cabs are not cheap.
Commodore 64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I made a couple of cabinets a few years back. For the main frame of the cab's I went to my local cabinet shop. They make drawers with fingerjoints all the time so this frame was easy for them, and cheap like $80 for the pair, 3/4" mystery "white wood" but they worked fine, the rest was easy, no tolex though I just stained and varnished them.
revor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Just a quick thought, would the cab produce better sound if you used solid wood? Something that isn't plywood. Just a thought

Old December 30th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackSG1995 View Post
Just a quick thought, would the cab produce better sound if you used solid wood? Something that isn't plywood. Just a thought
Maybe yes, maybe no, poor quality solid wood is no better than good quality plywood. Solid pine is hard to find & pricey when you do find it in wider boards needed for most cabs. What you want to avoid is cheap construction grade ply; voids in the inner plies can be disastrous.

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time & annoys the pig.
scotzoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2011, 06:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
LeftyStrategist

Do a nice natural finished wood cab, you'll never regret it, looks like furniture.

Old December 31st, 2011, 06:46 AM   #14 (permalink)

Many lumber stores sell 16" wide x 8 foot long, solid pine butcher block style pre-cut shelving planks that might serve well for speaker boxes. I haven't tried it myself as plywood would do fine for me, but it might be worth looking into?
Just an idea...
jflintmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Baltic birch plywood works very well also. It's a very high quality plywood, with a greater number of layers than standard plywood. It doesn't have any voids either.

Sent from my iPad using Strat Forum
thecableguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, it's great if you can find it.

Old January 17th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yeah, I like when they say, "get void free plywood". My local lumber stores, just look at me with a blank stare.

rcolesooner's Channel
rcole_sooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Same here. The closest place I can get it is an hour away.

Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Ask for Marine plywood. It is void free and uniform ply.
The Shedder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shedder
Ask for Marine plywood. It is void free and uniform ply.
That would probably be the highest quality plywood you can get. Is it much more than Baltic birch?
thecableguy is offline   Reply With Quote