Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > DIY Channel > DIY Strat Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

DIY Strat Forum Building your own S-Type Guitar? This is your place to discuss the whole process. NON-COMMERCIAL ONLY

Old August 6th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member!

Best way to get a strat body for cheap ?

As I explained in my recently-posted introduction, I'm new to strats but certainly not to guitars and guitar-modding and I'd like to build me a modded strat.

I want to keep the classic 3 pickups configuration and general guitar craft and replace the pickups with vintage "gold foil" ones (DeArmonds or Teiscos...). 'Cause I like that tone.

My first step is to get my hands on a strat, or at least a strat body and neck. Since gold foils PU's are quite expensive these days, I'd like to get the guitar for cheap but I'm reluctant to go "sweatshop-plywood-cheap", iykwim.

But keep it under 100$ if that's possible... (is it ?)

Do you see any options available ?

2nd hand MIK Squier ? Hamer ? Sammick ?

Some other brand I wouldn't know about ?

inbearsuits is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

If I were you, I'd look for a used Squier SE. I'm not sure if you're looking for a particular color or not, but they come in White, Black, and 3 tone Sunburst. The body is full sized and made of solid agathis. The rosewood necks that come stock are hit and miss, but there are some good ones out there. You can find a used SE here in the states from $25-$75 easy.....

Seeing as you're in France, i'm not really sure whats going to be available to you though.

Old August 6th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Meet mickmsmith:
http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/misc...wine-body.html

You can always do a flea-bay search:
stratocaster body | eBay

Lot of cheap-ish bodies there. If you are going to be adding things like vintage bridge, pickguard, etc., depending on which body you get you might find you have to redrill holes.

And you'd still need a neck. It might be easiest to get a cheap Squier or even Fender Standard and mod the heck out of it.
NEStrataholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 6th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Watch CL or ebay for body or fixer upper guitar, with a body you like.

Sometimes you can get MIMs pretty cheap, and the neck and hardware is worth something.

All depends on the type of body you want.

Edit: Ha! I didn't notice your location, but yeah, +1, on use your local tools to find folks selling stuff.

rcolesooner's Channel
rcole_sooner is online now   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

This could be a good platform for modding - 75 euros now:
eBay | Guitare électrique Squier Fender Stratocaster

Would you need a swimming pool route to accommodate gold-foil pickups? Might want to look for one upfront to avoid extensive routing (unless you are comfortable doing that).

Also, do you want a full thickness body? If so, that would eliminate a bunch of Squier models. I think '90s era Affinities have the swimming pool route and are full thickness.

Here are some Coodercasters:
"Cooder-caster" Strat project underway - Telecaster Guitar Forum
NEStrataholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member!

I think getting a cheap Squier and stripping it is the way to go... My location IS a problem, even though globalized commerce helps ;) Second hand Squiers are all over the place in France but somehow it's rare to find someone willing to sell for less than 120 euros. Go figure...

I'll check out Squier SE's.

Any other ideas ? Non Fender-endorsed brands that might be interesting ?

I've found a Samick (non Valley Arts) for 50 euros, but I've heard they can really be hit or miss... On the other hand I've a Samick-made Epi that's ok, not great but very playable.

Or a Hondo h-77 for 100 euros ?

Old August 6th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEStrataholic View Post
This could be a good platform for modding - 75 euros now:
eBay | Guitare électrique Squier Fender Stratocaster

Would you need a swimming pool route to accommodate gold-foil pickups? Might want to look for one upfront to avoid extensive routing (unless you are comfortable doing that).

Also, do you want a full thickness body? If so, that would eliminate a bunch of Squier models. I think '90s era Affinities have the swimming pool route and are full thickness.

Here are some Coodercasters:
"Cooder-caster" Strat project underway - Telecaster Guitar Forum
This one *looks* pretty good, at least it doesn't have a big CBS-style headstock. I'll try and contact the guy.

I'm not afraid to route if I have to but I'd figured the swimming pool routing would be easier to handle.

Old August 6th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I use GFS bodies but the mail costs to Europe and duty make them more expensive .I like Paulwonia bodies ,light and resonant
musicalmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

you can buy a wood pice in france, and get a professional make the neck pocket-
then you do the rest of the guitar your self-
yes is cost y sending a body international 61$ i payed for transport-
+ tax + Gebyr?
better find som nuth wood-
the guy in the pro guitar repair-
will make your neck pocket for not to much
bramaputra is offline   Reply With Quote