Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > DIY Channel > DIY Strat Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

DIY Strat Forum Building your own S-Type Guitar? This is your place to discuss the whole process. NON-COMMERCIAL ONLY

Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member!

Red wine stain ash/Maple neck build. Advice required!

Hi guys,

Just wondering if you could give a newbie some advice. I'm fairly experienced with the general nuts and bolts of guitar building, but I want some recommendations on bits for the strat I'm attempting to build.

So I've bought the body below, which I love.

I was hoping for some neck recommendations. I definitely want maple. The guy who owns the eBay shop recommended an American standard neck, but I was thinking about going for something a little better. Do you think an Eric Johnson custom neck would be a good match? Something like the ones pictured below? I've played an EJ custom before and I liked it. I'm going for playability, low action/tension. Tone is obviously important. A total no no, or a brilliant idea?

Any other recommendations would be welcome.

Like I said I do have experience in guitar building, but I need some strat specific advice.

Thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
Red wine stain ash/Maple neck build. Advice required!-neck.jpg  Red wine stain ash/Maple neck build. Advice required!-wine-body.jpg  

andrew_t_keegan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Nice color. An EJ neck could be quite expensive? I use (for 20+ yrs) Warmoth. They can build a neck anyway you want. My favorite neck I ordered much too large and sanded with my hand in playing position. Finished with tru-oil (super easy) and it rocks. They will apply finish if you wish. They are well aware of most neck shapes and sizes. I have another I asked for Am Std size and it is EXACTLY like my Am Std. They made me another with the biggest (bass) frets I've ever seen. Super people to deal with.
guitarman60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Send a message via Yahoo to colaiza1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_t_keegan View Post
Hi guys,

Just wondering if you could give a newbie some advice. I'm fairly experienced with the general nuts and bolts of guitar building, but I want some recommendations on bits for the strat I'm attempting to build.

So I've bought the body below, which I love.

I was hoping for some neck recommendations. I definitely want maple. The guy who owns the eBay shop recommended an American standard neck, but I was thinking about going for something a little better. Do you think an Eric Johnson custom neck would be a good match? Something like the ones pictured below? I've played an EJ custom before and I liked it. I'm going for playability, low action/tension. Tone is obviously important. A total no no, or a brilliant idea?

Any other recommendations would be welcome.

Like I said I do have experience in guitar building, but I need some strat specific advice.

Thanks guys
I would look at Warmoth.
colaiza1965 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member!

Hey guitarman,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I know I'm being that really annoying guy, but this is the first strat I've ever owned, and probably the only one, so I'd like it to be all American Fender. I know that's really pretentious, seeing as there are some cracking parts available and some which are probably superior to to Fender parts, but I kind of want the whole Fender thing. I've found the one below which I quite like the look of too. Anyone let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Here's some specs:
Official American Deluxe Fender Stratocaster Neck & Locking "F" Tuners- American Deluxe Fender Stratocaster- Tinted Maple, Black Pearloid Inlays- Modern "C" Shape- Compound Radius 9.5"-14" (22 Medium Jumbo Frets- 25.5" Scale Length- 1.685" Width at Nut- LSR Roller Nut- Genuine Fender.

Thanks again guitarman
Attached Thumbnails
Red wine stain ash/Maple neck build. Advice required!-neck2pics.jpg  

Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member!

That's two who've said that now. Probably be foolish not to consider it.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Be aware though of the hidden costs of being in the UK. I ordered a Musikraft neck earlier this year and the shipping and Customs & Excise duty alone came to nearly £150. I already knew I was going to be hit hard so it didn't come as a shock but it needs to be factored in.
xoso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member!

Ah, yes. I am aware of the issues, haha. Well the shipping (thank god) was included in the price. I'm dreading the import duty though. Thanks for all the advice. What do you think of my choice of neck?