Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > The Effect effect
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

The Effect effect Pedals and other Effects

Old February 1st, 2010, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member!

Does Eric Clapton Use any guitar effect pedals?

I was just wondering if eric clapton used any distortion pedals or other effects.

clapton-fan-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Are you talking about now, or at any point in his career? He used a Leslie cabinet to great effect on The Beatles' "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," for example, as well as a Vox wah on "White Room" and "Tales of Brave Ulysses" while in Cream. Back in the day he would just crank his amp (an 18 watt Marshall while in the Bluesbreakers, for instance) for distortion. He wasn't known for using a fuzz pedal much, to my knowledge.

But that was a long time ago. I don't have any idea what his setup is currently.

Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I read a while back he now only uses a wah occasionally and the Leslie cabinet. No overdrive or distortion pedals.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Doesn't he have a midboost in all his starts? That could almost be considered an "on-board" effect...
ruger9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2010, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Saw Mr. Clapton and Mr. Winwood this summer in Dallas. I was next to the stage, close enough to get spat upon.... He had a Kelley Tube Screamer TS9, used it mostly as a preamp. Level on 9, tone varied between 3 and 7 for different songs, Drive maybe at 1 or 2 at the most, and a crybaby wah but didn't seem to touch it much. Other than that he played thru that Cornell Custom 80 amp. Sounded just great...! From everything I've seen and read, he's not so much into effects. I have seen him use distortion on heavy Hendrix or SRV tunes, but that's about it... seems to stick with the same gear his hero's from Chicago used...amp, guitar, and fingers.

Ruger above asked about the mid boost. Fender sells the EC artist strat with the MRB. But, I seem to have read somewhere that he did not use that for long and took it out of his stage guitars.
Razorc195 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorc195 View Post
Saw Mr. Clapton and Mr. Winwood this summer in Dallas. I was next to the stage, close enough to get spat upon.... He had a Kelley Tube Screamer TS9, used it mostly as a preamp. Level on 9, tone varied between 3 and 7 for different songs, Drive maybe at 1 or 2 at the most, and a crybaby wah but didn't seem to touch it much. Other than that he played thru that Cornell Custom 80 amp. Sounded just great...! From everything I've seen and read, he's not so much into effects. I have seen him use distortion on heavy Hendrix or SRV tunes, but that's about it... seems to stick with the same gear his hero's from Chicago used...amp, guitar, and fingers.

Ruger above asked about the mid boost. Fender sells the EC artist strat with the MRB. But, I seem to have read somewhere that he did not use that for long and took it out of his stage guitars.
Well shut me up. I could swear I saw him reaching for the mid boost thingy on the vids I have.
amstratnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I know what your talking about. I've seen him rolling the bridge tone pot sometimes between solos and rythm parts too, and thought the same thing.... since I have one of the Clapton strats and then I read that article about him not having it installed any more... I mean its ok, but I seem to live with it not being on my other guitars. Kinda a novility really, and you have to deal with the battery and all... since its an active board in the guitar. I'll see if I can find that article and post the link.

Old February 4th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

have not found the article yet, but here is a link to a website that may be interesting.....

How to Get Eric Clapton's Woman Tone

Old February 4th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

How do you like the Clapton strat? I played one at GC and it wasn't set up. Thats hard to believe a premium guitar wouldn't be set up. I don't know if I could get used to the v shape of the neck.

Also I wonder....The guitar in the vids I have appear to be charcoal ish and as far as I know none of the Calpton guitars are avaialble with that color. Do you think he just grabbed an american standard or is it a customn color?

Old February 4th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

He does have several of my uncles "Hoochee mama" pedals, browntone electronics, and he is not the only one........
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

he's got a rack of effects behind the stage that'd fill an Antanov... ;-)
1977 Marshall 1959 100W non-master volume head & Marshall 100W AVT combo
phildobbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Here's the fan club FAQ. Specifically, here's the effects list on that site. I can't vouch for how accurate these lists are....

I will say I was having good luck coping a bit of the Madison Square Garden tone with an Transparent Overdrive into my Deluxe Reverb... with my CP50's Strat (57/62 pickups).

I remember playing a lot to the 24 Days CD back in the 90's. He used some chorus and I think he was using the Lace pickups back then. Everybody was over processing the crap outta their sound back then.

I gotta admit, I like the current guitar (Vintage noiseless?) into amp tone much better. I liked the early 70's fuzzy overpowered champ tone too.... or that bright, crunchy, almost country like sound... like Lay Down Sally, Love that tone!

Old February 5th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstratnut View Post
How do you like the Clapton strat? I played one at GC and it wasn't set up. Thats hard to believe a premium guitar wouldn't be set up. I don't know if I could get used to the v shape of the neck.

Also I wonder....The guitar in the vids I have appear to be charcoal ish and as far as I know none of the Calpton guitars are avaialble with that color. Do you think he just grabbed an american standard or is it a customn color?
Yeah, mine came from a GC in Dallas, I like it a lot(its a few yrs old now), its real fast, very low action, stays in tune, (blocked trem), Intonation is true all the way up the neck to the last fret, and has crazy long sustain!!! ... Setup on mine was pretty close when I got it, I did not have to mess with it much to get it the way I like em.... I'm playing it tonight for the first time in awhile... Havent had it out much lately, I'm ashamed to say. Everyone who plays it likes it alot, guess so they usually will ask to play it when I have it out..... Only thing I may do to it is stain the neck to look older. Not real fond of the way the bare, satin, maple looks..... I really like V-necks I have 5 of them, even my Martin has a V-neck. I even put a 50s V on my 62RI (Pictured).....You know what they say, once you go V, you never go back....

Your absolutely right they are Charcoal. You may be able to get a standard line production in the grey. But, I thought that they were only available from the custom shop in the Charcoal...I may be wrong.... Anyway mine is a std black one and I've played the CS model and can't tell the difference, and have had several other people who own the CS version say its not worth the extra coin, that the regular one's are just as good.... What I'd like to have is one painted in the multi paisley colors like his other strat... now that's one cool looking guitar....

I'm here to tell ya, If you want a keeper get one of the artist guitars, Fender does a good job on them. It may be the people working that line may take a little more pride in workmanship, or their the better workers....who knows, but I've never heard one bad word about an Artist guitar from them..... As for the setup, the dealer should make sure the setup on any guitar they sell you is correct at least to the baseline spec. or your abilities before it leaves the store....bottom line, or go elsewhere.... Anyway the artist guitars cost more for a reason. Their worth it!

Last edited by Razorc195; February 5th, 2010 at 01:25 AM.

Old February 5th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Dark grey was definitly an official color back in the day (maybe early 90's) I really wanted one back then in that color. Maybe he's using custom color or he's using an older one??? Or maybe the video is from the 90s?
Outlier73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlier73 View Post
Dark grey was definitly an official color back in the day (maybe early 90's) I really wanted one back then in that color. Maybe he's using custom color or he's using an older one??? Or maybe the video is from the 90s?

No the vids I'm talking about ae from Crossroads 2007 and the PBS special with Steve ...Uh drawing a blank here. You know traffic guy.

Old February 5th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Winwood...

Old February 7th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

i could swear i hear a fuzz face on "deserted cities of the heart" (cream.)
andjar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Custom Shop Cat

Yes he does. I understand your a Clapton fan and there is nothing wrong with that. However, I would suggest purchasing some books from Amazon about Eric Clapton. I think you will find more answers about this artist then most of us could provide you. Good Luck
sevycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevycat View Post
Yes he does. I understand your a Clapton fan and there is nothing wrong with that. However, I would suggest purchasing some books from Amazon about Eric Clapton. I think you will find more answers about this artist then most of us could provide you. Good Luck
Yeah but groundless speculation is fun.

Old February 7th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
He does have several of my uncles "Hoochee mama" pedals, browntone electronics, and he is not the only one........
your sig is giving me...........bad thoughts
1962dguitargeek is offline   Reply With Quote