Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Club Forums > Guitar Owners Clubs
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Guitar Owners Clubs Start your own guitar club -- or join one here.

Old February 8th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Deluxe Powerhouse Strat owners club

Ive been getting some questions lately about Powerhouse Strat mods, and I always notice when somebody occasionally mentions a DPhS in a thread...so why not a Powerhouse owners club where we can pull our knowledge of mods, I know I had to search far and wide. So I will be glad to share what Ive learned about mine.

Heres a thread about my DPhS "Black-Zilla"

And heres a pic of mine:

So if you own one, post some pics and lets hear about some mods!

Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
----------------------

Oribit just got a neck from one maybe he will join! :-)

Nice guitar I gave one to my Daughter years ago! hers is Black with maple 1 piece but came with a perloid guard and a push button switch. Am I thinking of the same model?
fenson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
----------------------

Now that I think back , hers doesn't have the push button . Thats on the deluxe players ..right ?
It Stock i don't know that she even plays it these days I should find out.
Look at the nice work your thread has created , your putting a man and his daughter in touch agian. Must be 2 weeks since I talked to her . Where does the time go!!!!
fenson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 8th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Yeah they came with pearliod pg...but mine didnt come with a push button.

Heres a pic from MF

They made a graffiti yellow that is just awesome looking...Im hoping somebody will post a pic of theirs!

Old February 8th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Wanna join!

Here's mine,

You "eagle eyes" might pick up that I switched the neck to a 50's V-neck which I really love.

I'm constantly amazed at the variety of tones I get from this. But sometimes I miss the Knopfler 2 and 4 tones a bit. Would adding a TBX tone help bring that back? Or switching to Texas Specials?
jpmist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenson View Post
Oribit just got a neck from one maybe he will join! :-)
I could half join maybe... Powercaster, or Partsohouse or something...
I'll post a pic when it's together
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2011, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmist View Post
You "eagle eyes" might pick up that I switched the neck to a 50's V-neck which I really love.
Didnt notice it at all at first, but now that you mention it, looks nice...even with the pearliod, I like it alot!

Quote:
I'm constantly amazed at the variety of tones I get from this. But sometimes I miss the Knopfler 2 and 4 tones a bit. Would adding a TBX tone help bring that back? Or switching to Texas Specials?
What pickups do you currently have in there? The stock American Specials?
Try lowering the middle pickup a lil and using more reverb/delay to regain that quack.
But if you want more treble, like youd said in your PM, then a TBX would be a good choice. Wanna know what one sounds like in your guitar? Listen to Buddy Guy play the solo in "Damn Right Ive Got The Blues".
I kinda like to think of the TBX as EClapton/BGuy knob...low numbers 1-5 are Clapton territory and the other side of the indent 5-10 is Buddy Guy territory.

If I were to get any aftermarket pickups...itd be like those in the video above, but thats just me.
[edit]...but Id also stuff the American Standards and the dummy into another guitar.
And if you are looking to sell the American Standards and the dummy coil...send me a PM before you do, no matter who you are, I want em!

Old February 8th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Heres a link to a Clapton diagram showing how to wire in the TBX...its easy.

http://support.fender.com/service_di...7602A_SISD.pdf
Scroll down to page 2

Old February 8th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

SPROCKET: What pickups do you currently have in there? The stock American Specials?

I bought this used about 6 months ago, I think I'm safe in saying they're whatever was stock for the year 2000 (MZO1XXX...) Here's where I'm fuzzy on pickup origin. It's a Mex strat, but the pickups poles are flat, not staggered and sharpe edged, not beveled. Are the pickups unique to the Powerhouse. The specs I find list them as "Ultra-Quiet Single Coil Strat Pickups"

Try lowering the middle pickup a lil and using more reverb/delay to regain that quack.

Good suggestion, I haven't adjusted them. They appear to be equidistant between the strings and pickguard. I don't know enough about exactly how the pickup height affect tone. On my others I've tended to lower them quite a bit.

But if you want more treble, like youd said in your PM, then a TBX would be a good choice. Wanna know what one sounds like in your guitar? Listen to Buddy Guy play the solo in "Damn Right Ive Got The Blues".

Nice video! Surprised he played that on the neck pickup! I'll definitely give the TBX a go.

And if you are looking to sell the American Standards and the dummy coil...send me a PM before you do, no matter who you are, I want em!

Will keep that in mind, will see how the TBX goes and let you know. Probably not likely as I have a dedicated Knopfler strat, just wondered if anybody tried the Tex Specials in the P-House. . .

Thanks for the Clapton wiring link, so is the circuit board in the P-House the exact same one as the Clapton strat? Scary to think I can double the overdrive by snipping the two resisters, I'm more than happy with the Powerhouse 12 dB boost as is.

Thanks!

Old February 9th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Nice video! Surprised he played that on the neck pickup! I'll definitely give the TBX a go.
Which reminds me...yeah, you can pretty much dial in bridge pup tone on even the neck pickup with just the TBX and no switch flippin.
But you see what Im saying about his tone?
You can do the low down Clapton thing on just a 250k pot, but you cant dial in those kinda trebles without the TBX.

Quote:
Thanks for the Clapton wiring link, so is the circuit board in the P-House the exact same one as the Clapton strat? Scary to think I can double the overdrive by snipping the two resisters, I'm more than happy with the Powerhouse 12 dB boost as is.
I was happy too, but then realized 12 db will always be there after the mod...just gives you more range and other tone choices(think: high gain+low volume). If you are going to do the TBX, you might as well buy another 250k pot for the drive...youll have your soldering iron already hot...and if you think 25bd is too much(yeah right!) then you can always swap it back(never!).
And yes same CB as the Clapton...same part number and everything.

Heres the Powerhouse diagram for comparison sake.

Old February 9th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

And for anybody whos curious, these are the resistors hes talking about

Removed

After

Old February 17th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Got my Powerhouse neck.... it's really a nice piece of wood, isn't it ? The frets are nice and big, but not too big, the vintage tuners are just what I like, the top adjuster, C shape... even the logo is nice.

Here it is on my USA ash body
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit View Post
... even the logo is nice.
Itd really be nice if they would have centered the "Deluxe Series"...but I guess that would look too much like "Original Contour Body" from a distance

Old February 18th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Check me please? Thanks. . .

Have the TBX tone pot now and am ready to wire it in. Taking a close look now that I have the innards in front of me, just want to make sure I wire this right.

Bottom middle has yellow wire from circuit board and white wire from dummy pickup. Bottom left has middle connection from .82K resister. Top left connects to .022 capacitor. Top middle has the continuation of the resistor wire from bottom tab. Top of pot has the other end of the resistor, the other end of the capacitor and a ground wire to both the volume and the other tone tab.

Correct?

TIA: John

Old February 18th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I cant get the pdf I linked above to open from this computer to confirm.
Just look at the Clapton diagram to confirm.

[edit]Is this any help?

PS...clip those resistors!

Old February 19th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Yes! Perfect!

I had wondered about how the dummy coil would affect things as well as the resistor that came with the TBX, I see now that you left the resistor out. Great pics.

Many thanks, Sprocket, owe you one.

Old February 19th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
I had wondered about how the dummy coil would affect things as well as the resistor that came with the TBX, I see now that you left the resistor out. Great pics.
No no, it is installed, look closer

See the lead on the center top lug? Coming from the bottom right lug?
And just to the right of that lug you can see the resistor...the other lead is soldered to the side of the pot.

I believe I just confirmed your drawing.

Old February 19th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Works great!

Opps, now I see it, thanks.

Well I left that resistor out and disconnected the other two. Ah well, what am I missing without it? Gonna leave it out for now because I couldn't be happier with the change so far.

After 30 minutes or so playing it, I can get such an amazing range of tones, more than before. As I'd hoped, I can get Knopfler II and IV tones with the extra treble boost and can pretty much nail any Clapton blues or overdriven tone I've tried so far.

What I really like is that the controls make so much more sense to me. I can adjust the clean/overdrive balance with the Volume as well as the bottom Tone knob and because of the TBX pot, no matter what volume I have I can maintain treble on any of the pickups, particularly the neck. Wish all Strats were wired this way, on my Std Strats I'd settled on 8, 10 & 10 on all 5 switch positions. Yawn.

Thanks again for the suggestion. Way cool. Will have a cover of Clapton's "Autumn Leaves" (with a really nice blues lead break) posting in the next few weeks to YouTube. Will give a heads up to hear what you think of the sound.

Old February 21st, 2011, 10:17 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Opps, now I see it, thanks.

Well I left that resistor out and disconnected the other two. Ah well, what am I missing without it? Gonna leave it out for now because I couldn't be happier with the change so far.
Im curious...what happens when you turn the TBX from 5-0?
10-5 youre getting the Clapton tones right? This should be very similar to a standard tone pot...I dont know what to expect without that resistor, so tell me, what happens when you turn the dial towards zero?

Old February 21st, 2011, 01:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Powerhouse Owners Club? Count me in!
My first post here.
So I got my Powerhouse MZ7 ser# last night as a matter of fact, always admired the Caramel Metalic. The one I got is pristine, maybe like a 2 week old guitar. paid $400 which I think is a good buy.

My thoughts so far...
quieter (requires higher amp volume) than my American Special or my MIM HSS when the boost is off. Very nice neck. Nice boost tones. Not a fan of the pearloid pg, seems cheezy squire like? But I will get used to it or swap it out.
Question so if I clip the resistors and add the TBX dual pot, that will get me close to Buddy Guy/Clapton and still get a knopfler sound?
Thanks in advance.
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote