Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum Face not all "S-Type" guitars are from FMIC. Talk about yours here

Old August 18th, 2011, 05:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member!

Hohner Strat - Made In Japan - Any Info ?

Hi folks,
Bought a salmon pink Hohner Strat copy from a charity shop this morning. It has a maple neck, white scratchplate and 5 position switch. Its in good condition, and has "Made In Japan" on the neck plate. It has a good feel, solid and a good weight. It just says "Hohner" on the headstock.
I bought it mainly because of the 3 magic words, "Made In Japan", and hope I've got a bargain, however I can't find anything much on the web about these, and would be hoping to re-string, set up and re-sell.
Does anyone know anything about these ?
Thanks in advance.

Chuck Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2011, 07:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Way Awesomer

my grand dad has a couple of acoustics from this company, they are pushing 40 years old and are still in great condition.. so i can say that their acoustic products last the test of time.

as for the company, ive seen that name on a lot of mouth harps too..
looking through the website, it claims they have been in production for 150 years, they make a lot of harmonicas, accordians, acoustics, the website boasts quality, but then again what website wouldnt boast quality, its there for marketing..
With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.
carver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Hohner have made guitars for a long time varying from budget to very expensive. Have you tried HarmonyCentral for reviews? I noiced some on there for a Hohner Strat 'Special' which were all very positive. Trouble is, if you are going to sell it and no one knows if they are good what price are you going to get. If it plays well why not keep and mod it.
RussV is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 19th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member!

Hard to justify keeping it as I have one or two guitars - including a vintage strat - and my wife says I don't play the ones I have often enough. I only paid 35 quid for it so would be hopeful of a wee profit.

Old August 19th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I'm pretty sure Prince plays a Hohner tele. And like said earlier, they might be the industry standard on harps.
jwhit007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

They had a range of copies out in the early/mid 80's for sure I saw quite a few Strats and Tele's retailed for about 150 quid back then, looked a bit better possibly than the beat up old Maya I had at the time, and were quite accurate copies with a proper Fender shaped headstock and everything.

Prince did indeed play a Hohner "Prinz" Tele-like model, it was a rather higher priced premium model of theirs and had some finer woods in it than the standard, I remember playing one once.

That's a real bargain ... why don't I find things like that languishing in charity shops !

Pictures please !! ... I love this old stuff I used to see hanging round guitar shops and wonder what happened to it all, Hohner, Maya, Fresher, Columbus, Harmony, Kay, Satellite, Antoria etc etc
totnesdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I only thought Honer made harmonicas........so Im wrong
GuitarAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I friend of mine has a 335 copy
tomstrat1968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

hohnerguitars.de.tl

all you need to know about Hohnerguitars, its in German but a english version is coming soon.........I promise:-)

Greetings from Germany
HohnerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2011, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member!

God bless Gerd !

HohnerFan you are a star ! Are you in fact Gerd, who has given me the info I needed from the website quoted above after I sent an email ?
For anyone interested here is the good news, and some pics.
This is the email response from Gerd, from the website above :-
"You are the proud owner of a Hohner HG-425S from 1977, maybe one or two years later.
I found the guitar in a catalog scan from 1977, its only the sunburst version there but I think yours were build at 1977 too.
A really nice guitar with real good specifications, I have never seen a Hohner from before 1980!
And the second, I never know that the older Hohner were build in Japan, the Hohner Professional Guitars were build by Cort in Korea."
I have asked Gerd for the spec.

In the meantime here are the pics (as long as I've loaded them correctly).
Attached Thumbnails
Hohner Strat - Made In Japan - Any Info ?-img_1242.jpg  Hohner Strat - Made In Japan - Any Info ?-img_1244.jpg  Hohner Strat - Made In Japan - Any Info ?-img_1246.jpg  

Hohner Strat - Made In Japan - Any Info ?-img_1247.jpg  

Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Frisbee View Post
HohnerFan you are a star ! Are you in fact Gerd, who has given me the info I needed from the website quoted above after I sent an email ?
Thank you and yes I am

Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member!

Maybe you could help me too Gerd. I managed to do the exact same thing a few years ago. I found an old Hohner in a charity shop and picked it up and fell in love with it. It was in pretty bad state so the £50 the asked for actually sounded like quite a lot at first, before I picked it up. It plays like a dream and sounds awesome and is my main strat nowadays. I would love to know how old it is. Here are some pictures, maybe Gerd or someone else could help me. Thanks.

Claes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Hi

I think your Hohner is from 1985, the first two digits on the serialnumber on the headstock:-)
.....is it possible to make some pics from under the pickguard, that would help a lot.

Greetings!

Old May 8th, 2012, 05:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
New Member!

Sure, next time I change the strings I will take some pics under the pickguard. I don't think I have ever taken the pickguard off. So the number indicates that it's from 1985, well that would make sense since the number starts with 85. I thought it might be older since it has a massive Seventies headstock but maybe the Hohners always had that. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HohnerFan View Post
Hi

I think your Hohner is from 1985, the first two digits on the serialnumber on the headstock:-)
.....is it possible to make some pics from under the pickguard, that would help a lot.

Greetings!
Claes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
New Member!

Hi I have a Hohner strat pink one I wonder if you could tell me anything about it and is it one of the lower or better models and its age? I think its 70's but I could be wrong is it the same thing which Prince played but a strat verison?

would be great to hear from you guys George
hohnerlover12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member!

Here is the ebay link listing I just brought it PINK HOHNER-STRATOCASTER STYLE ELECTRIC GUITAR STRAT | eBay
hohnerlover12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2013, 06:13 AM   #17 (permalink)
New Member!

Markhams is a pawnbroker

Got a surprise when I saw that label as I've been in Colchester a long time. What's more I know someone who has or had a Hohner Strat in mauve colour - I was looking at this thread, to learn a bit more about the Hohners.
steeplejack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2013, 06:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
New Member!

Looks like a bargain.

How's it going, pleased?
steeplejack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Hohner used really GOOD wood for those guitars...even had Tele's with all maple bodies. They were solid well made an generally good players. You stole it.

Keep it - you won't regret it!

mark
oldmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
New Member!

i have the same guitar as this, i think, and it is exactely as you described but creme with a tortoise pick guard. it plays so well but i am stuck in the same area as you as i cant find ANYTHING out about this guitar. i got it for free from freecycle and i am never selling it!
MAGIK_WEDGE is offline   Reply With Quote