Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum Face not all "S-Type" guitars are from FMIC. Talk about yours here

Old May 1st, 2012, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Harmony Stratocaster

I got a Harmony Strat off CL and was wondering if anyone knows anything about them? Estimated Value? Plays decent and has a nice worn neck.

Hartbaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2012, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Post pics for sure!
airmanbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2012, 10:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartbaby View Post
I got a Harmony Strat off CL and was wondering if anyone knows anything about them? Estimated Value? Plays decent and has a nice worn neck.
Off brands tend to sell for less than similar model Squiers in similar condition.

But if it plays well then you should just keep it and not worry about flipping it.
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

$100 bucks is probably the high end of what it's worth. I had a blonde one back in the day with a maple neck and was my first stratocaster. And the main reason I still play play one.
The price at the time was $150 brand new . And that was in 1988
Stratattack72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Here's two pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Harmony Stratocaster-image-576958161.jpg  Harmony Stratocaster-image-3032746505.jpg  
Hartbaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have one in sunburst, in pieces right now. The neck is really comfortable.
nickmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Brings back very fond memories for me as it was one my first good guitars. It sounded good and felt good. I knew nothing about modding and all that back then , but I would imagine they would make a great platform to do that ! Awesome guitar you have there !
Enjoy it !

Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I believe Harmony was a Sears brand, at one time anyway....my first in the 80's electric was a blue sunburst double cutaway with p90 style pups that my parents ordered from the catalogue...lol.
CapeRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Futurologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeRR View Post
I believe Harmony was a Sears brand, at one time anyway....my first in the 80's electric was a blue sunburst double cutaway with p90 style pups that my parents ordered from the catalogue...lol.
Yes it was, along with Silvertone.

b.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member!

That was my first guitar! I got it for Christmas in 1988. I loved it - I'd definitely pick one up if it popped up on CL - it'd be cool to give one like it to my son when he gets a little older.
meatwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

They play very well for what they are, and up-grading is very possible. The head stock, has enough wood on it to be able to cut it into a Strat or Tele shape, but you didn't hear that from me!
...........poppa
MrPoppa2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Send a message via AIM to Twang Banger
No offense intended, but dang that is an ugly headstock. I guess I am so used to the Fender headstock, nothing else looks "right" - even G&L's headstocks look goofy to me!

Leo nailed the design right the first time!

Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRowland View Post
No offense intended, but dang that is an ugly headstock. I guess I am so used to the Fender headstock, nothing else looks "right" - even G&L's headstocks look goofy to me!

Leo nailed the design right the first time!
Play a G&L. Afterwards the headstock will be a thing of beauty in your eyes.

J5
jammers5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I've nothing against the Harmony brand. They are probably right fine guitars but for some reason that headstock always makes me think of that Toucan on the Fruit Loops commercials.

pchilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammers5 View Post
Play a G&L. Afterwards the headstock will be a thing of beauty in your eyes.

J5
you got that right
jonahboo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:02 AM   #16 (permalink)

I have never seen the Harmony Strat.
I loved those old hollow body Harmony guitars. They called them beginner's instruments but they would set-up and play as well as any pro model. I loved those gold foil pickups too. I still do...
jflintmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Harmony Rocket would be my guitar of choice and Sears Silvertone tube amp from that era. Look them up on you tube they really made some decent cheap stuff back in the day !

Old May 4th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Here's a picture of some of my guitars, and it includes my 1992 Harmony Strat copy. It's the sunburst guitar. It's made of plywood and plays pretty well, although it could use a pro setup.

bugo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2014, 09:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugo View Post
Here's a picture of some of my guitars, and it includes my 1992 Harmony Strat copy. It's the sunburst guitar. It's made of plywood and plays pretty well, although it could use a pro setup.

I know- old thread, hoping you still may see this post.
I'm writing because I have a chance to buy one of these, (same era Harmony Strat) the issue I have is since it's a friend of a friend kinda thing, and won't be be able to check it out before hand, and rather awkward to call my friend and say "ask him if it's a piece of junk".
Condition is my main concern, because as I learned from your post they're made of plywood.
My question is: when you say plywood, are we talking build-a-shed-in-the-back-yard plywood, or like the nice laminated birch type material quality amp cabs are bulit from?
I know it wouldn't be birch, just comparing quality of materials.
Because if it is shed wood, I'd be super concerned about wattage, delam, etc.
Your thoughts, or any wisdom on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Jimcord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2014, 05:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

I got mine off CL for $50. A Harmony Strat copy normally wouldn't be worth $15 to me as far as materials go, but this one had some upgrades that justified the purchase IMHO. The gentlemen I bought it from said he was a Peavey certified Luthier. I was able to verify that to be the truth after doing a quick internet search on him as soon as I returned home with the guitar. He installed a pre-wired 3 ply white pearl pickguard with Alnico pups from GFS. I think those are worth about $50 on their own the last time I checked. It still had the plastic on it till I got it home. They aren't the GFS pups, but still really nice. He also did a complete set up. He even filed the frets to perfection. Another reason I bought it was because the first electric guitar I ever owned was a Harmony very much like this one, but it was stock and it was red. Most of us probably started out on junk like this, so it was kind of sentimental coming across one again. Especially one that has been treated well enough to be worth a damn. The only thing I don't really like about it is the new pickguard doesn't seem to sit close enough to the bridge. Just looks funky with so much space, but he assured me everything was in the best position for the parts to be their best. Anyways, here she is....

Clark Kent is offline   Reply With Quote