Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum Face not all "S-Type" guitars are from FMIC. Talk about yours here

Old November 29th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Hondo II strats

Hi,

Had a Hondo II strat copy for a long time. The pickups and knobs were all black and the pickguard was white so I painted the body white too, with the rosewood fretboard it looks good, like ritchie blackmore's strat. Anybody know anything about these, I havent found much about them.

rudarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

I had a Hondo II precision bass copy back around '81. I think it came stock with a Dimarzio split pup.

I look through my old guitar mags from time to time. There are Hondo ads in them. If I notice a strat ad I'll send you an image of it. I'm guessing yours is a late 70's model.

Check out the wiki info

Hondo (guitar company) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I have a black Hondo H76 Strat copy in the attic, you've tempted me to get it down & put it back together. If I recall, the body weighs a ton, and is made of some kind of ply. Decent pickups though I think.
lemacque is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 30th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Yes they are heavy, it surprised me. THe pickups sound okay, they have black covers on them, cant see the magnets. I would like to know more about them though, just cant really find anything. Ive read the wikipedia artcile before, thats the farthest ive got though

Old November 30th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Heres some pictures of it during and after the painting process, theyre only cell phone pics, sorry.
Attached Images

Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

No one else? The search continues I guess...

Old February 8th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I have one of these i think. Does it have a serial # sticker on the neck plate? If so what does it say? Mine has a cheap vintage tele style bridge with an ashtray cover. The pickups sound awesome for single coils.
kramerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I have a Hondo 2 but it's a LP copy. My Hondo is a great playing and sounding guitar for what it's worth.
gliderider22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2010, 01:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member!

I've got a Hondo 760 Strat copy, white w/black hardware & pickguard. plays amazingly, lovely neck. Can't find any info on them though, maybe they only made one?!
hanusanusmusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I had an orange one many years ago. I believe I paid $75.00 for it (this was 1983).

Old May 9th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliderider22 View Post
I have a Hondo 2 but it's a LP copy. My Hondo is a great playing and sounding guitar for what it's worth.
Do you by chance have any pics of it? I had one of these years ago and loved it. Besides the fact that it had a bolt-on neck I actually thought it was a very good copy, all the contours were right and everything. Mine was a wine red color and it was patterned after the Les Paul Custom with all the extra inlays and binding. The stock pickups it had were horrible--I bought mine used and the previous owner had installed a Dimarzio Al DiMeola model in the bridge position, but the neck p/u was stock and I had to replace it. Upon removing the cover from it out of curiosity I found just a single bobbin and coil in a humbucker housing. I wish I still had that guitar, but after I turned 18 and left home for the military my mother sold it out from under me. I never even got the money for it from her. She did the same thing with an old Civil War musket I used to have too...

Yngwie Malmsteen "Duck" replica by Locke Custom Guitars
Stratplayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I have a Candy Apple Red one. I bought it in 1980 or 81.
I've changed just about everything you can on it over the years.
The original tuners were about the worst i've ever seen.
The neck actually quite nice, it ended up being my first attempt at scalloping a neck.
I was just looking at the neck the other day thinking it wouldn't be bad to put the neck on a new project.
I put a Carvin bolt on neck on the body in the early 90's
I agree the plywood body is a bit heavy but with all the upgrades over the years it's a fine playing and sounding guitar.

I have quite a cool wiring in this guitar.
It has a Dimarzio X2N in the bridge, an early 80's USA Fender standard bridge pu in the mid, and a 80's blue Lace Sensor in the neck.
It has 5 mini switches, 3 for pickups on/off, a phase and dual sound switches for the X2N.
2 vol, and a master tone knob. One vol for neck and bridge and the other for the mid pickup.(Fender pots)

I can dial in a lot of different tones on this guitar. It's a hot little set up.
At one time it was my work horse, lots of gigs, jams, and practices on her.

I have the guitar at my lady friends house along with my line 6 flextone II
for those times she wants to be woo'd if you know what I mean... LOL

Did I say damp panties?
Nice sounding guitar it is.
jimmiraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Pretty crappy guitar

I have one from the early 80's - haven't played it since then either - got too many other quality guitars now.

I've still got it as it was my first electric guitar which I used in my first school band and I obviously never got drunk enough to sell it. It does weight a lot and did always sound very top heavy on the tone.

The intonation on the B-string was and still is completely untunable, I tried last month to redo and I got the same result I always got with this cheap not very good guitar. Some thing is not right with this guitar.

Perhaps I've kept it to one day burn it on stage while doing a Hendrix number
AussieBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 01:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

I had a dark color Hondo II Strat copy for a while...it was actually a decent guitar on the level of a MIM Strat. I gigged with it for a couple years, too.
davidKOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 04:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

hi picked up a couple of guitars ex high school music band i think... hondo 11 twin humbuckers strat type serial no. hd 910ab so i guess thats a 1991 having more trouble trying to age the kimbara strat (very nice looking) 70s looks like greco strat i think serial no.1068492 is this 1968 ?? tuners are crap so will get wilkinsons and needs pups would a loaded pick guard be better if so which make ? this will be my project guitar so have a budget and still a novice
youngalistai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member!

Is it work spending $20 on?

Hi there!

So I am going to bid $1 + $19 s/h on a Hondo II strat knockoff so I can have a guitar to beat the tar out of overseas while on a Merchant vessel... is it woth that much? I want it to at least sound in tune so when I get back home and play my other guitars I don't sound like butt.
Gearssnipe is offline   Reply With Quote