Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum Face not all "S-Type" guitars are from FMIC. Talk about yours here

Old August 16th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Do you Like Distressed Strat's?

I just picked one of these up. I have to say the Import Guitars are getting better and better. This is the new LTD/ESP - ST-203 Strat. This Guitar just feels and sounds Great. The Big difference between this and a F Guitar is the Hardware and Plastic on the LTD all looks new - Which is just fine with me. Also the rosewood fretboard is not reliced at all - just the back of the neck shows wear - but not gritty. Another great factor is its cost - About 1 Third of the F Guitar Price. These are defiantly worth checking out. The price of these relices are very affordable - So if you would like to jump over to the Relic side - This guitar might be a great choice. Or I guess you can save up and buy a Nash - their very nice too. Also I noticed I am a Hair late - Romp below also had some nice things to say about these Guitars.
Pic----

Last edited by Gasee; August 17th, 2010 at 07:50 AM.
Gasee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

seems like a really nice guitar....

but buying a guitar simply for the 'relicing', seems awfully silly to me.

who cares about that?
gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2010, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Interesting they have the shaved heel like the Fender Deluxes.

06 Am Std HSS Sienna 05 Ash Tele Sp. Ed. 06 EJ White Blonde 98 Epi Dot 04 50th Ann Dlx 06 JV Oly White 98 JV CAR 98 '57 AVRI White Blonde 08 BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic 05 Epi Tony Iommi 09 Schecter Solo-6 LTD. Ed. 04 Epi LP 56 Goldtop
IvegotGAS is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 17th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Looks kinda weird....relic body and neck, but a brandnew pickguard,knobs,etc. ....
Not my cup of coffee....
gypsyseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Definately a strange combo of old and new. Most of the wear on the body looks good, but I don't understand the wear around the PG. And, yeah, the hardware seems too shiny. The back of the neck looks great, and all satiny and slick.

Overall I like the looks.

rcolesooner's Channel
rcole_sooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Sorry, I just dont get it. I like to add my own charector, and stamp to a guitar, and if I am buying a new guitar , I want it to look new.....
petervv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

The vintage plus models appear to be less distressed, or at least differently.

srvwannab is online now   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I bought one and love it. It is also the ST 203. I did think the bridge pickup was a little thin so I added a Dimarzio HS 3 It broke off the brittle and added a lil more bottom end. It feels great and plays great.
I like it more because I play and teach 5 to 6 hours a day. So, it is not kept in a case, it is moved around alot and I'm sure it will get bumped and bruised. I won't have to worry about it, because it will look like it is supposed to be there.
stubewan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

So it's like buying a Squier version of a Road Worn for $350.00? Don't mean that to sound derogatory, I'm just trying to figure this out. What made you buy it? I'd say the finish is beautiful, just looking for some explanation as to what draws you to these over say a used/new MIM?

It took me a while to look them up, I kept getting links to other companies.

Under the bridge downtown, I gave my life away
ColeRyan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I got enough stress in my life, who needs distressed guitars.
To me it's like some kind of abuse, like taking a child and beating the crap out of them for what? to make them look more experienced?
How do they distress these poor guitars anyway? beatings? electro-shock? water-boarding?
Maybe send them down to Guantanamo Bay for a year or two? This whole thing is making me distressed, which according to some people might be a good thing, might make me more valuable. So what should I do, throw myself under a bus or something. Maybe a vacation to Detroit.
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeRyan View Post
So it's like buying a Squier version of a Road Worn for $350.00? Don't mean that to sound derogatory, I'm just trying to figure this out. What made you buy it? I'd say the finish is beautiful, just looking for some explanation as to what draws you to these over say a used/new MIM?

It took me a while to look them up, I kept getting links to other companies.
I wouldn't know as I've never played one of these, but i'd be willing to be that it's entirely possible that these play better than an mim standard and cost less... and way less than RW. Even if i liked the distressed look paying 800 isn't appealing at all.
srvwannab is online now   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Hey Gasee, right on man!
That's the one you picked out on the day you bought it congratulations!
That's a beautiful guitar!
It's yours man, enjoy every minute of it!
Sincerely...
Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I bought mine because I like the worn look - And I know their has been a thousand discussions about worn vs new - Hey you really like it or you don't - Its that simple - For example - I would never own a Gibson Zoot suit SG guitar (Think their ugly) but I am sure some folks luv em.
But the main reason I bought it is because it just feels and sounds so good. I owned a CS 60'S Daph blue Strat that I paid 1700.00 - Which was a good price. But sold it to pay some bills. But that guitar got me liking the relics.
So - I looked at the Fender road worns - 800.00+ And I looked at the Nash's 14 - 1600.00? And I looked and played the LTD for 349.00 - Complete no brainier for me - Who happens to like the relics.
I am really not trying to start a argument here about Relics compared to clean and new. All I am saying is if you take a fancy to a beat up looking Guitar - Which allot of folks pay big money for. Check these out!

Old August 17th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Oh and thanks Dewey for the kind words.
Gasee

Old August 19th, 2010, 03:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I never played one pre-distressed, so to say, but the natural wear and tear is okay.

My own Strat:
has its natural wear and tear from years of being on the road.
Nigel T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Nice Guitar Nigel! Just wondering if someone offered you a Brand new Fender CS Nonreliced guitar for a even trade? Would you take it?

Old August 19th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Oh and "Grounded"
"To me it's like some kind of abuse, like taking a child and beating the crap out of them for what? to make them look more experienced?"

Come on Really....

Old August 19th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasee View Post
Oh and "Grounded"
"To me it's like some kind of abuse, like taking a child and beating the crap out of them for what? to make them look more experienced?"

Come on Really....
I was trying to practice my stand up comedian shtick.....well I better keep my day job
Rough crowd out there.
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Do a tour of the North of Sweden in the winter and you won“t have to worry about getting
the "distressed look" on the body of the guitar with lots of fine cracks!If you have a maple neck you will get plenty of fine cracks on that too!
limbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I would say as long as you like it Gasee it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of it.

But to be fair you did ask an open ended question and that will open a can of worms.
edandis is offline   Reply With Quote