Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum Face not all "S-Type" guitars are from FMIC. Talk about yours here

Old February 16th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Hamer Daytona's

These were only made from 1993 to 1996 approx. If you ever run across a used one give it a try. Sperzel tuners, 14" fretboard radius, medium jumbo frets, Duncan alnico2 pickups, Wilkinson bridge, made in the USA, and a nitro finish are just some of the features of these fine guitars. Nice used examples are still around and a great value.

Friedrich Nietzsche
Jackie Treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Their Bolt=Ons from that period are easily equal to fenders CS if not BETTER. Also might want to check out hamers T-62 or T-51 if you come across one. The 51 is a Telecaster and the T-62 is a modified Strat with a onboard EQ, and highly figured neck.
Strat-Man-Do is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat-Man-Do View Post
Their Bolt=Ons from that period are easily equal to fenders CS if not BETTER. Also might want to check out hamers T-62 or T-51 if you come across one. The 51 is a Telecaster and the T-62 is a modified Strat with a onboard EQ, and highly figured neck.
+1

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 31st, 2009, 05:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Hamer's for some reason have never really gained the popularity I believe they deserve Jackie? But I suppose for those like you and I, thats a Good Thing. It helps keeping their price down.

Actually I have been anxiously waiting to see what Fender is going to do with Hamer. You know Fender bought them out? They still have their Custom Shop in Hartford CT. And as of yet their has not been any change I could see? I believe as long as Joel is still running things at hamer that they are in good hands. he's done a fantastic job keeping those guitars down to a minimum. Part of the reason all the big Guitar Shops won't carry them. Hamer refuse's to compete with production schedules. They are still building the guitars by hand and their weekly numbers at final assembly are staggeringly LOW. But their quality control is so good that Hamer is the only guitar I'll buy off the internet sight unseen. I won't buy a Fender of Gibson on line.

I do think their have been some management mistakes especially with Terry McInturff. Hamer should have never let him go and dropped his design. The Hamer Mirage II has always been one of my favorite Hamers and that was Terrys design. But I like the fender scale with humbuckers.

The other mistake I believe was dropping the Bolt-Ons? But I suppose with trying to keep the small Custom Shop image intact, its just not possible to be manufacturing all those designs?

Old March 31st, 2009, 08:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I've known a couple guys with Hamers. One had a T51 and another had a Daytona. Excellent guitars. Being a tele fanatic I was especially taken with the T51. I'd recommend picking up just about any Hamer you find. I would if I had the disposable income.

Old March 31st, 2009, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

The Hamer's help keep the strat GAS to a minimum. I'm very fortunate to own two nice examples. I once owned a Slammer Mirage II and it was a nice guitar. Bet the USA Mirage is a winner.

Old April 1st, 2009, 11:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I've been playing Hamers since the very early '80s, and have owned many dozens of them over the years. I've also had my fair share of Strats. The "go-to" guitar that never sees the inside of the case is my #1 Daytona. They are simply amazing guitars that can be had for the price of MIJ Strats. It's insane, but that's (fortunately for some of us!) the way the market rolls.

By the way, Hamer does not have a "Custom Shop". They never have. They ARE a custom shop. There have been no real changes to things since FMIC purchased Kaman's musical division (Hamer, Ovation, etc.) in December, 2007. Same people are there, no expansion, and they're letting Jol (DO NOT CALL HIM "JOEL"!! :D ) run things as he was doing before. The only real difference up in New Hartford is that they've added some additional machines and workers to do the Tacoma stuff. Hamer is still putting out high quality, low-production guitars, and at maybe 3 a day (depending on the day), they're really a small shop and have been since the move from Arlington Hts back in '97.

If you're looking for more info on Hamers, want to find some from people who know 'em or just want to drool over some, check out the Hamer Fan Club site : Hamer Fan Club . The only site out there where you'll get accurate historical info. and real information on these guitars.
My "Tronned" '96:

A '94 I sold not too long ago:
cmatthes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Love that '94 - very nice.

Old April 4th, 2009, 01:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Lowered the action a bit on the blue Daytona tonight. Had it jacked up high for string bending and aggressive playing. A lot more comfortable to play this way. Reminds me of when it first came into my stable. Perhaps, I'll take the Van Zandt's out and put the stock Duncan's back in soon.

Old June 1st, 2009, 02:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

The Daytona has been ignored in favor of a Tele lately. Revisited the Hamer tonight and had an enjoyable practice session. Hamer made some great bolt-ons!

Old June 7th, 2009, 05:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Very Nice, I never posted any photos. I'll have to get them up. I live in CT and have been though their shop, very impressive. I'm really hoping they stay put here. Word is that Ovation will be staying here but all has been very quiet about Hamer. Oh well, as said....No News is Good News.

The Daytonas are very nice and their are some very nice examples still around. Though the MINT are up around $1000.-$1200. now. Still very good for what they are and how they are built.

Top two are the Mirage IIs. The Cool Blue [as it was called by HAMER] is a all stock Mirage with SD 59/JB set-up and a three-way. Sounds too-good to mess with. The Koa is a 5-way with a set of humbuckers custom built by Larry DiMarzio. They are actually Four single-coil size humbuckers wound together with individual top and bottom one piece plates made. Also the rails are Nickle instead of Black Oxide which Larry usually use's. But I get all the vintage humbucker tones I want and some very nice single-coil tones.

The bottom two are a T-62 and a Artist Custom. The T-62 I sold to a collector from the Hamer forum. He lives over your way Jackie. But the Strat was just in great condition and was the First Sunburst T-62 built and the 12th overall. It was in collector condition when I sold it and I sold it really due to the very thin neck. Same thing with the Artist Custom, great guitar for that LP Tone with the Seth Lover pick-ups, but again a very thin neck.

The Mirage IIs have a slightly thicker neck maybe just a bit larger than a MIA Strat. Also I still have my Newport Pro which too has a nice size neck. Could only post 4 photo's so I didn't post the Newport. But for those who are in the market for a 335/339 style electric the Newport Pros are an excellent choice and a Hollow body. Carved out Mahogany back and neck with either a Spruce top or a Maple top and Seth Lover pups. You could find them for a great price if you take your time and look. I bought mine for a ridiculous price of $599. from Musicians Friend. MF was dropping Hamer and had the Newports all listed for SALE/ But............they made a mistake and listed them for $599. instead of $1599. So a bunch of us were talking on the Hamer Forum and I happened to catch the mistake. Anyway we all pulled the trigger on the Newports. MF actually only had SIX left and they honord the $599. price to the first six who ordered. So thats how the Orange Newport came into my possesion.

Old June 7th, 2009, 05:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

What the heck?.............Here''s the Newport and a Studio which I sold. If the Studio had the Sustain Block I would have kept it. BTW the older Sustain Block DC Hamer Sunbursts from the late 70's early 80's are very very nice electrics.