Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Other Guitar Discussion
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Other Guitar Discussion Want to discuss PRS, Gibson or other non-Strat-type guitars? Then this is your place.

Old January 1st, 2012, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Fender Marauder

The guitar is made of "Koto" wood. What is Koto? It's not a fancy word for "veneer" is it? How do these guitars sound? The triple coil pickup is intriguing, as is the P-90 style pickup at the neck. And the price is right. Has anybody bought one of these?

bugo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2012, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gentlemen...

Send a message via Skype™ to Polarbear
I really really want one.

Sounds amazing.

"If you're going through hell, keep going."
Polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2012, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
But I digress

WOOD | Read Wood & Wood Products Articles - Koto

Link is info on koto wood. Common names include koto and African chestnut.

From the video it sounds like it's a good tonewood.
"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course... the computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to end". --Douglas Adams
madmat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 4th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I played one at length at GC today. My buddy is buying one. He loved it, I only thought it was "ok". They play decent but not great - neck feels very much like most of the Chinese Squiers, looks to be made ok - tuners and hardware not the best, decent sound but gets a huge hum/buzz from the p-90. Maybe there was a grounding issue on this particular one we tried, and Im sure a good set-up was needed too. Overall not a bad guitar but honestly not for me. I tried a Jaguar from the Modern Player series that I thought sounded and played much better - looks cool too. Still, I probably wouldnt buy one as Im not crazy about the 24 inch scale but this one had more "mojo" than the marauder for sure. In the end my buddy decided to order a blue Marauder from Sweetwater (the one at GC was black). Overall Im "luke warm" on the Modern Player series - I rather keep saving my loot and when the times right spring for a Am Jazzmaster or something.

heres a link to the MP Jag I liked :Modern Player Series

Old February 4th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbiz View Post
I played one at length at GC today. My buddy is buying one. He loved it, I only thought it was "ok". They play decent but not great - neck feels very much like most of the Chinese Squiers, looks to be made ok - tuners and hardware not the best, decent sound but gets a huge hum/buzz from the p-90. Maybe there was a grounding issue on this particular one we tried, and Im sure a good set-up was needed too.
+1 on the Squier reference. I own the Thinline Deluxe with P-90's and really love it. I haven't seen the Marauder yet but that bridge pup intrigues me as well.

I think the craftsmanship is great and the P-90's rock. P-90's are generally buzzier than regular single coils but sometimes a height adjustment can make it better.

Since I play single coils almost exclusively, I bought a Boss NS-1 noise gate and solved that problem. That pedal is great. I highly recommend it to any Strat/Tele player.

Old February 4th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Mine should be here in a week or so. 2/8 was the pushed back date I received from Sweetwater. Played GREAT but GC only had it in black. Played so much better than the $2k Gibsons I tried (seriously).
smoss469 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by randypttt View Post
+
Since I play single coils almost exclusively, I bought a Boss NS-1 noise gate and solved that problem. That pedal is great. I highly recommend it to any Strat/Tele player.
Absolutely! This will be my next purchase!

Old February 4th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by randypttt View Post
+1 on the Squier reference. I own the Thinline Deluxe with P-90's and really love it. I haven't seen the Marauder yet but that bridge pup intrigues me as well.
I played one of those recently. I only played it through a clean amp so I can't say how they sound distorted, but it sounded good clean. It played pretty well too. I ended up liking it more after I played it then I did before I played it (except for the Marauder.) I am also lukewarm on the MP series. I didn't want to like this guitar because I am a traditionalist when it becomes to Teles (even though I have my eyes on a Custom with 2 humbuckers) but after playing it I have a positive view of this guitar.

Quote:
I use Digitech RP5 multieffects processor pedals. They have built in noisegates and are very effective at stopping single coil hum. The only bad thing is that notes and chords aren't able to naturally fade - they end abruptly. A standalone unit would probably be preferable, so the silencer can be turned on between songs and off during songs. The RP5 makes it impossible to turn the silencer on and off with one touch of a pedal.

Old February 4th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbiz View Post
I played one at length at GC today. My buddy is buying one. He loved it, I only thought it was "ok". They play decent but not great - neck feels very much like most of the Chinese Squiers, looks to be made ok - tuners and hardware not the best, decent sound but gets a huge hum/buzz from the p-90. Maybe there was a grounding issue on this particular one we tried, and Im sure a good set-up was needed too. Overall not a bad guitar but honestly not for me. I tried a Jaguar from the Modern Player series that I thought sounded and played much better - looks cool too. Still, I probably wouldnt buy one as Im not crazy about the 24 inch scale but this one had more "mojo" than the marauder for sure. In the end my buddy decided to order a blue Marauder from Sweetwater (the one at GC was black). Overall Im "luke warm" on the Modern Player series - I rather keep saving my loot and when the times right spring for a Am Jazzmaster or something.

heres a link to the MP Jag I liked :Modern Player Series
The local mom and pop guitar store has that guitar. I haven't played it because I'm very much a traditionalist when it comes to Jaguars. If it doesn't have 2 single coils, a Jag tremolo, and the complex controls of the original Jag then it's not a Jaguar to me. But I might overcome my prejudice and try it out next time I'm in there. I have my eye on a J Mascis Jazzmaster, so that would scratch any offset itch that I have, along with the Marauder.

Old February 4th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoss469 View Post
Mine should be here in a week or so. 2/8 was the pushed back date I received from Sweetwater. Played GREAT but GC only had it in black. Played so much better than the $2k Gibsons I tried (seriously).
I pick mine up this Friday, 2/10. I'll be doing a NGD post, so I expect the same from you. I'll give a review once I've had it a while and I'm sure I'll be posting about it here, the Tele board, and the Fender board with questions and observations about it in the meantime.

Old February 4th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I played a Marauder through my rig at the music store. The bridge pickup sounds a bit hotter in the regular humbucker position than in the triplebucker position. The triplebucker position is smoother and more mellow than the humbucker position. Nothing jumped out at me about the single bridge coil position, the Jazzmaster neck pickup position, or the combined position but I'll comment about their sound in the future. I went ahead and put $200 toward the Marauder and I pick it up on Friday. I'm pretty excited.

Old February 7th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugo View Post
I pick mine up this Friday, 2/10. I'll be doing a NGD post, so I expect the same from you. I'll give a review once I've had it a while and I'm sure I'll be posting about it here, the Tele board, and the Fender board with questions and observations about it in the meantime.
Got the dreaded call from Sweetwater today. They said Fender quoted them a new delivery date of March before they'll have more in. I'm tempted to cancel my order and either save the $ for later, or get something else.
smoss469 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Got the dreaded call from Sweetwater today. They said Fender quoted them a new delivery date of March before they'll have more in. I'm tempted to cancel my order and either save the $ for later, or get something else.
Are there any Fender dealers in your area? I didn't expect to find a Marauder in a guitar shop around here but there it was. You could call around and ask. The local Guitar Center flat out told me they weren't carrying them because they didn't think they would sell. If they had gotten one, it would have sold. And more would likely be sold down the line.

Old February 8th, 2012, 04:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
I saw they were delayed on one of the main musical equipment websites (Guitar Center or Musician's Friend, I can't remember which.) I hope there isn't a production problem with the first batch that is being corrected. I hope somebody does get one of the second batches to see if the word "Marauder" is added to the headstock.

Old February 8th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
I played a $2000 Gibson myself and wasn't impressed. The fit and finish of the knobs was poor. The Marauder has perfect fit and finish and the knobs feel of an especially high quality.

Old February 8th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Looks like a great guitar!!!
Laylas Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I saw a black verson of this guitar with a pearloid PG at a GC recently, very striking looking guitar. I didnt play it but they're a pretty good design, imo. Love that guy's demo playing, really nice.
Stringbender11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Here are some pictures of my new Marauder:

Old February 11th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I've been seriously gassing for a new Strat, but I saw that same demo the other day and now I'm very, very, very intrigued.
blueskystrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugo View Post
Here are some pictures of my new Marauder:

Preeeeeeetty! I've been looking around for some "real world" pics of this guitar, and it looks just as beautiful as I imagined. Great shots, congrats!
blueskystrat is offline   Reply With Quote