Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Other Guitar Discussion
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Other Guitar Discussion Want to discuss PRS, Gibson or other non-Strat-type guitars? Then this is your place.

Old October 4th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

PRS Mira S2 VS Gibson SG Standard

I'm set on one of these 2 guitars. They both play fantastic, sound great, and look the part. I'm sure I am going to go back and forth on this decision for awhile.

What are your thoughts on the Mira? Seems like a solid competitor to the Gibson SG/Studio line. Mahogany body/neck, coil split, locking tuners. Built in USA. Same price as SG (but no hard case).

NCStratDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Play both. I typically like Gibsons better, but recently picked up a PRS that is really changing my perspective...

Old October 4th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

The PRS is a wonderful well made lovely guitar, nice design, you name it.

I'd take the SG any day, it's a sentimental favorite with me. I find PRS guitars to be gorgeous but they do not connect with my soul.
I also like the 4 control set-up better on a 2 Humbucker guitar.
davidKOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 4th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I'm from Maryland. The answer is obvious to me..
itzed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I hadn't heard of the PRS Miras before, but if I was looking for another guitar this review would sell me one in an instant. I'm impressed.

GaryCorby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Miras have been around for a while - the original ones came out in 2007 (I think); they have 24-fret necks. Frankly here in the USA you can find a used "regular" Mira with a PRS hard case for less than the price of these new S-2 series - for a long time the MAP price of a new Mira was around $1,550 with the bird inlays, then it went up a bit and was $1,550 with dots. They used to have a Mira-X that was a 22-fret, cheaper model that came out about 2009 that had a MAP of more like $1,250; it seems like these S-2 models are more of a replacement for the old "X" models (they had a Starla-X as well).

They have really increased the price of the "regular" Miras to futher differentiate them from these new S-2 models - a new "regular" 24-fret Mira has a MAP price here of $1,900.
John C is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I just did a quick check around and found that the same thing is selling in Australia for $3000 to $4000. Sigh.
GaryCorby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryCorby View Post
I just did a quick check around and found that the same thing is selling in Australia for $3000 to $4000. Sigh.
That has to be the "regular" Mira, not the S2. The regular one goes for almost $2K in the USA.

Old October 7th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C View Post
That has to be the "regular" Mira, not the S2. The regular one goes for almost $2K in the USA.
Crazy. Mira and Starla have not been movers and shakers. I was surprised they didn't do more S2 models based in the Cu24 but with a wider pickup variety.
firebrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I'm a SG diehard, get the SG.
RockerXDX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Tough call. Both great guitars. A friend of mine has a Mira, and it almost plays itself. Really well made. For me it would come down to two things: 1) neck shape/thickness and 2) how neck heavy that particular SG is. Good luck!
BlueCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I love all mahogany guitars!

My first guitar was a '61 SG Jr. After more than 30 years, I'm back to nothing but mahogany. The only problem with SG's, is the way they hang from a guitar strap. I now own a Gibson Les Paul Jr. ('59 re-issue), PRS Starla and Standard 22.
chicago slim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I haven't been following PRS all that closely lately - certainly not like I follow Fender.

Evidently when these S2 models came out in July PRS did stop taking orders for the original Mira and Starla models. They are still making them to fulfill any remaining orders (I don't know how long PRS currently takes from order to completing the guitar and shipping it out) but pretty soon there won't be any more $2K-ish Miras and Starlas, only these S2 models. I thought these were just additions to the line (they used to have cheaper models called the Mira-X and Starla-X), but going forward the S2 versions will be all that is available.

Old October 9th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I would buy the Mira. I don't much like SG's, I find there is neck dive and the Gibson headstock is always an accident waiting to happen.

I've played the S2 Mira and it's a wonderful guitar. Much better than anything Gibson put out at that price point. Sure the SG is an iconic guitar, but unfortunately, Gibson's these days are not up to scratch. The Mira will be a far better guitar for fit and finish, versatility (due to the coil tap) and IMO the Mira looks better.
Mandrax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2013, 08:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I've never tried out the Mira, but I've tried out tons of SGs, and I think they are amazing. Great classic rock/metal sound.
moonpie469 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I like the look of those miras, but I bought a SG standard (2013) this year and they are absolutely phenomenal.

I tried 6 when I bought mine. Each were awesome, but I wanted a white one.

Plus this year they have the small pickguard and 57 Classics,

I would not swap mine for anything. Literally.
Fendre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

Depends on what you want to do. If you are a bluesy/vintage guy get the SG. If you like more modern music get the Mira.

PRS guitars are some of my faves, but honestly, they don't do it for me when it comes to blues and classic rock.

Old October 10th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
votary o Garcia

FYI, looks like the OP was banned, don't know if he'll get these replies or not.
curtain_with is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Just because the SG is used in classic rock doesn't mean it can't take harder music. I found that it sounds great for hard rock and heavy metal. Also, I really don't like the shape of the Mira, if I was going for a PRS, I would go with a PRS custom 24.
moonpie469 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpie469 View Post
Just because the SG is used in classic rock doesn't mean it can't take harder music. I found that it sounds great for hard rock and heavy metal. Also, I really don't like the shape of the Mira, if I was going for a PRS, I would go with a PRS custom 24.
The 57 classics are also great for cleans too. The current sg standards are IMO the best available for a long while, they basically took all the features of the 61 reissue. It's amazing how awesome they are for the money!
Fendre is offline   Reply With Quote