Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Pickup Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Pickup Forum Strat-talk.com's guitar pickup forum

Old March 9th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Just Installed Graph Tech Ghost Piezo Saddles

Installed these about a week and a half ago and have been loving my newly available acoustic tones every since.

Here's what they look like... wires are not uber-stealth, but safer this way.

Want to hear what they sound like?
Click on my sig and there are a variety of test clips. The clip entitled "2008-03-08 DJS" was done yesterday using only the piezo mode and a tiny bit of reverb, recorded using Audacity.

I would recommend the Ghost pickups to anyone!

2008 Fender American Sp. Mahogany Strat HSS
2008 Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2X12
Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I really like that sound.
Poseidon9447 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I am unfamiliar with the product but the sound is so nice. I have tried acoustic pedals but they dont have that sound. I was looking on MF, do you need to get both the Ghost Saddle Pickup and the Acousti-Phonic Modular Preamp and switch to get it to work? they dont specify. wonder why its not sold as a package.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 9th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I put some of those in an American made Oly white strat with Lollar pickups and a Strat-oh what a-blaster pre-amp. I use concentric (stacked) pots to control the volume of the Lollars (inside control), the Ghost (outside) and a 50K pot to control the amount of pre-amp on the fly. Needless to say, I really like it.
Tchap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon9447 View Post
I am unfamiliar with the product but the sound is so nice. I have tried acoustic pedals but they dont have that sound. I was looking on MF, do you need to get both the Ghost Saddle Pickup and the Acousti-Phonic Modular Preamp and switch to get it to work? they dont specify. wonder why its not sold as a package.
You need to at a minimum get the pickups, in this case, a set of 6 saddles. They say you can run them without an active pre-amp, but they recommend the pre-amp. I can not vouch for how they sound without it. The acoustiphonic pre-amp is another purchase and comes with a stereo jack as well to allow for parsing the signals (magnetic and piezo) to two different amps simultaneously. If you plug a mono cord in, then it mixes the signal, depending on how your switching is setup. A setup like Tchap described sounds nice. I opted to install the mode switch, another additional purchase. Then, I removed the 2nd tone control wires and made that pot into the ghost volume control, so my controls are now magnetic volume, OEM tone, Ghost volume. In the mix mode, you can get infinitely variable volume mix between magnetic and piezo volumes, though that sound clip is the full piezo mode.

For ALL the bells and whisltes, they make another pre-amp,called the hexaphonic pre-amp, that piggy-backs onto the acoustiphonic pre-amp and sends the signal out to a 13-pin connector for MIDI. I opted not to do this as I'm not into MIDI, at least as of yet.

The cost, for me...
Ghost Saddles... $109
Acoustiphonic pre-amp... $70
Mode Switch... $25
Increased versatility... PRICELESS

Tchamp, got a link to the knob setup you're using?

Old March 10th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchap View Post
I put some of those in an American made Oly white strat with Lollar pickups and a Strat-oh what a-blaster pre-amp. I use concentric (stacked) pots to control the volume of the Lollars (inside control), the Ghost (outside) and a 50K pot to control the amount of pre-amp on the fly. Needless to say, I really like it.
So you modded the board to install an accessible 50K pot?

Also, did you route the body? I had a pocket routed (free... a friend in the machine shop at work did it for me), but was wondering if it really could be done without it. I tried shoe-horning everything in 15 different ways, but no love.

Old March 11th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

No, I did not route the body at all. I know my limitations at most given times. I knew that I could change the pickups out no problem,and add a S-O-blaster pre-amp also no problem,with stacked pots so I could have some control over volume and tone throughout the total schematic without altering the overall outward appearance of the guitar too much. The thing that I was a bit concerned about was moving the control of the pre-amp from the actual kit that you would receive from a company like say Alembic, which is a pot that is adjusted by a tiny flat screwdriver, to a potentiometer appropriate in resistance,(I hope that is the term). I decided to make friends with a company that could do not only electrical work but, could also do actual guitar setups.I found a company that could do Guitar Electronics in Phoenix to do the work. As I said before, I really enjoy playing this guitar. Sorry for the lengthy post.
Tchap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

They definitely give you that piezo sound. Quite handy for those times when you need an "acoustic" for the intro or just part of a song without physically switching guitars or having a second guitarist. Thanks for the post.

Old March 11th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I listened to that test clip over 20 times by now, I really like that sound and the song. Is the song an original?

Old March 12th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon9447 View Post
I listened to that test clip over 20 times by now, I really like that sound and the song. Is the song an original?
Yes, it is an original. Thank you very much for the compliment.I play with a classic rock band, but have been thinking of putting together a solo album of sounds similar to this. I put together the rhythm track and improvised over it. It is all in the key of D/Bminor.