Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum



Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com


Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Pickup Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Pickup Forum Strat-talk.com's guitar pickup forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 14th, 2011, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker
 
mdred85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: detroit
Posts: 182
lace sensor golds vs vintage noiseless pickups

I love the lace golds,just wondering if anyone could do a constructive comparison of these two pickup options.

mdred85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 02:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster
 
BHighkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Age: 20
Posts: 3,789
Vintage Noiseless pickups are stacked humbuckers, whereas lace sensors are true noiseless single coils. VNs are going to sound thicker in the midrange, and have more bottom end. The lace golds are going to sound more like classic strat pickups, but quiet. Not to say that they sound exactly classic, but they sound quintesentially stratty, sort of like a noiseless version of the AM std. pickups.
Some complain that VNs sound too muddy, but that's just because they are probably being used with 250k pots which, especially for a pickup like the VNs, is going to cut down the high end output and make the mids and lows sound more prominent.
Both are good pickups. The VNs are in the clapton strat if you want to hear them.
BHighkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 02:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 90
I'd go with the Lace golds. I've got 3 Lace silvers in my strat, and so far they seem pretty good in all positions.
Dave McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting
 

Old November 15th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lewes De.
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHighkin View Post
Vintage Noiseless pickups are stacked humbuckers, whereas lace sensors are true noiseless single coils. VNs are going to sound thicker in the midrange, and have more bottom end. The lace golds are going to sound more like classic strat pickups, but quiet. Not to say that they sound exactly classic, but they sound quintesentially stratty, sort of like a noiseless version of the AM std. pickups.
Some complain that VNs sound too muddy, but that's just because they are probably being used with 250k pots which, especially for a pickup like the VNs, is going to cut down the high end output and make the mids and lows sound more prominent.
Both are good pickups. The VNs are in the clapton strat if you want to hear them.
Right they sound normal w their own pots and by-pass cap that comes w a set. Its impossible to get either of these fine p/ups to sound exactly like a normal single, but both come close. The Noiseless does have that AlNiCo sparkle thats missing w the Lace.

Last edited by StratoTerr; November 15th, 2011 at 01:12 PM.
StratoTerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master
 
crapthatsloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Palm Bch FL
Age: 28
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHighkin View Post
Vintage Noiseless pickups are stacked humbuckers, whereas lace sensors are true noiseless single coils. VNs are going to sound thicker in the midrange, and have more bottom end. The lace golds are going to sound more like classic strat pickups, but quiet. Not to say that they sound exactly classic, but they sound quintesentially stratty, sort of like a noiseless version of the AM std. pickups.
Some complain that VNs sound too muddy, but that's just because they are probably being used with 250k pots which, especially for a pickup like the VNs, is going to cut down the high end output and make the mids and lows sound more prominent.
Both are good pickups. The VNs are in the clapton strat if you want to hear them.
This is what I came in here to post....the second half, anyway.

It depends on the tone you want. The Clapton, in my experience, is a very "midrangey" guitar (even with the boost all the way down). Its easy to get a fat but articulate sound out of it, especially with the middle pickup. I like that. Also the VNs are DEAD silent. Its also easy to make them sound like a humbucker with the right overdrive and EQ settings, but they always keep that "strat" edge. In practice I rarely use the mid boost feature.
crapthatsloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster
 
fenderkev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Emerald Isle
Posts: 4,903
I've had both and still use Lace Golds, but neither really sound like the Alnico V's in my Am Std. The Lace have extra body and a roundness that I like in comparison, whereas the VN set I had were lifeless and thin sounding, though I did wire them up with the pots and caps they came with.
fenderkev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster
 
spikypaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Devon, UK
Age: 30
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by crapthatsloud

This is what I came in here to post....the second half, anyway.

It depends on the tone you want. The Clapton, in my experience, is a very "midrangey" guitar (even with the boost all the way down). Its easy to get a fat but articulate sound out of it, especially with the middle pickup. I like that. Also the VNs are DEAD silent. Its also easy to make them sound like a humbucker with the right overdrive and EQ settings, but they always keep that "strat" edge. In practice I rarely use the mid boost feature.
Mind you, it's also dependant upon the age of the Clapton Strat you use - the pre-2000 (I think) models came stock with Gold Lace Sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderkev
I've had both and still use Lace Golds, but neither really sound like the Alnico V's in my Am Std. The Lace have extra body and a roundness that I like in comparison, whereas the VN set I had were lifeless and thin sounding, though I did wire them up with the pots and caps they came with.
This has been my experience, too. I've not owned a VN-equipped guitar, but I have played a modern Clapton Sig side-by-side with my Lace Sensor and mid-boost modded MIM. The EC Strat just didn't sound as "full" as my MIM - and this was through the same amp, with the same settings. I've also played the older, Lace Sensor-equipped EC Sigs and much preferred the tone of those to the modern ones. But as with anything tone-related, "good" tone vs. "bad" tone is a very subjective and personal thing.
__________________
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." Josh Homme
spikypaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster
 
The Shedder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ireland
Age: 36
Posts: 1,990
So what is the ideal setup for the VN's?
I installed a set in my Marvin Squier, and never got the tone I was hoping for. I used a 500k for vol, and 250k for tones. I didnt pot the bridge pup.
I also used a .022uf cap and a treble bleed mod.

What is the best setup?
I have no booster installed either!
__________________
____________________________
Great things I sense in you
[SIGPIC]
The Shedder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lewes De.
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shedder View Post
So what is the ideal setup for the VN's?
I installed a set in my Marvin Squier, and never got the tone I was hoping for. I used a 500k for vol, and 250k for tones. I didnt pot the bridge pup.
I also used a .022uf cap and a treble bleed mod.

What is the best setup?
I have no booster installed either!
Go to the Fender site and look up the wiring for the Clapton Strat or your local store if they have a set and will let you look at the instrucctions.There's a 1 meg for the tone I think and the volume pot is in parallel w a resistor that put it in the 300Ks. And there's a treble by pass cap for upper treble so it doesn't get attenuated.
StratoTerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noiseless pickups: SCN versus Lace sensor gold W-Tig3r Pickup Forum 24 March 11th, 2012 08:17 PM
Lace Sensor Golds vs stock American Standard pickups stratrocker1988 Pickup Forum 8 August 23rd, 2011 11:20 AM
Lace sensor vs vintage noiseless for blues rock tone? Erickstrat Pickup Forum 62 August 23rd, 2011 07:46 AM
Lace Sensor Gold VS Vinatge Noiseless Pickups Clapton22 Pickup Forum 28 April 6th, 2010 08:58 PM
Tell me about Lace Sensor Golds... JKSteger Pickup Forum 13 August 28th, 2009 08:10 PM

» Recent Strat-Talk Discussion
Untitled Document

Untitled Document

Untitled Document

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



 


Design by: vBulletin Skins Zone
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2


The words Fender®, Telecaster®, Stratocaster® and the associated headstock designs are registered trademarks of the Fender Musical Instruments Corporation.
Strat-Talk.com is an independent, member supported forum and is not affiliated with Fender Musical Instruments Corporation.
© 2007 All rights reserved.

Strat-Talk.com is not responsible for the content posted by private individuals on this website. The views expressed herein are solely the opinions of the individuals that produced them and not necessarily the views of the owner of this website.