Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Pickup Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Pickup Forum Strat-talk.com's guitar pickup forum

Old November 14th, 2011, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

lace sensor golds vs vintage noiseless pickups

I love the lace golds,just wondering if anyone could do a constructive comparison of these two pickup options.

mdred85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 02:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Vintage Noiseless pickups are stacked humbuckers, whereas lace sensors are true noiseless single coils. VNs are going to sound thicker in the midrange, and have more bottom end. The lace golds are going to sound more like classic strat pickups, but quiet. Not to say that they sound exactly classic, but they sound quintesentially stratty, sort of like a noiseless version of the AM std. pickups.
Some complain that VNs sound too muddy, but that's just because they are probably being used with 250k pots which, especially for a pickup like the VNs, is going to cut down the high end output and make the mids and lows sound more prominent.
Both are good pickups. The VNs are in the clapton strat if you want to hear them.
BHighkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 02:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I'd go with the Lace golds. I've got 3 Lace silvers in my strat, and so far they seem pretty good in all positions.
Dave McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 15th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHighkin View Post
Vintage Noiseless pickups are stacked humbuckers, whereas lace sensors are true noiseless single coils. VNs are going to sound thicker in the midrange, and have more bottom end. The lace golds are going to sound more like classic strat pickups, but quiet. Not to say that they sound exactly classic, but they sound quintesentially stratty, sort of like a noiseless version of the AM std. pickups.
Some complain that VNs sound too muddy, but that's just because they are probably being used with 250k pots which, especially for a pickup like the VNs, is going to cut down the high end output and make the mids and lows sound more prominent.
Both are good pickups. The VNs are in the clapton strat if you want to hear them.
Right they sound normal w their own pots and by-pass cap that comes w a set. Its impossible to get either of these fine p/ups to sound exactly like a normal single, but both come close. The Noiseless does have that AlNiCo sparkle thats missing w the Lace.

Last edited by StratoTerr; November 15th, 2011 at 01:12 PM.
StratoTerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHighkin View Post
This is what I came in here to post....the second half, anyway.

It depends on the tone you want. The Clapton, in my experience, is a very "midrangey" guitar (even with the boost all the way down). Its easy to get a fat but articulate sound out of it, especially with the middle pickup. I like that. Also the VNs are DEAD silent. Its also easy to make them sound like a humbucker with the right overdrive and EQ settings, but they always keep that "strat" edge. In practice I rarely use the mid boost feature.
crapthatsloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I've had both and still use Lace Golds, but neither really sound like the Alnico V's in my Am Std. The Lace have extra body and a roundness that I like in comparison, whereas the VN set I had were lifeless and thin sounding, though I did wire them up with the pots and caps they came with.
fenderkev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapthatsloud

This is what I came in here to post....the second half, anyway.

It depends on the tone you want. The Clapton, in my experience, is a very "midrangey" guitar (even with the boost all the way down). Its easy to get a fat but articulate sound out of it, especially with the middle pickup. I like that. Also the VNs are DEAD silent. Its also easy to make them sound like a humbucker with the right overdrive and EQ settings, but they always keep that "strat" edge. In practice I rarely use the mid boost feature.
Mind you, it's also dependant upon the age of the Clapton Strat you use - the pre-2000 (I think) models came stock with Gold Lace Sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderkev
I've had both and still use Lace Golds, but neither really sound like the Alnico V's in my Am Std. The Lace have extra body and a roundness that I like in comparison, whereas the VN set I had were lifeless and thin sounding, though I did wire them up with the pots and caps they came with.
This has been my experience, too. I've not owned a VN-equipped guitar, but I have played a modern Clapton Sig side-by-side with my Lace Sensor and mid-boost modded MIM. The EC Strat just didn't sound as "full" as my MIM - and this was through the same amp, with the same settings. I've also played the older, Lace Sensor-equipped EC Sigs and much preferred the tone of those to the modern ones. But as with anything tone-related, "good" tone vs. "bad" tone is a very subjective and personal thing.

Old November 16th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

So what is the ideal setup for the VN's?
I installed a set in my Marvin Squier, and never got the tone I was hoping for. I used a 500k for vol, and 250k for tones. I didnt pot the bridge pup.
I also used a .022uf cap and a treble bleed mod.

What is the best setup?
I have no booster installed either!
The Shedder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shedder View Post
So what is the ideal setup for the VN's?
I installed a set in my Marvin Squier, and never got the tone I was hoping for. I used a 500k for vol, and 250k for tones. I didnt pot the bridge pup.
I also used a .022uf cap and a treble bleed mod.

What is the best setup?
I have no booster installed either!
Go to the Fender site and look up the wiring for the Clapton Strat or your local store if they have a set and will let you look at the instrucctions.There's a 1 meg for the tone I think and the volume pot is in parallel w a resistor that put it in the 300Ks. And there's a treble by pass cap for upper treble so it doesn't get attenuated.
StratoTerr is offline   Reply With Quote