Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Pickup Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Pickup Forum Strat-talk.com's guitar pickup forum

Old May 7th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

57/62 Pickups

Anyone have any experience with Fender's 57/62 pickups? Recommendations? Better suggestions?

Lobotomy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

57/62s generally get a bad rap on the forums. Some people like myself (think they're great) while many hate them and say they're way too thin sounding.

I have a set in my HR62 with a RWRP middle - and they sound amazing. Anything but thin. They give me the best SRV tone out of the entire bunch I have.

Generally CS60s are some of the most well liked Fender pickups available. After listening to many tone demos of the CS60s I have found that my 57/62s sound very similar. However, I have been told that once you get into the heavier overdrive/distortion the 57/62 will lose their focus, whereas the CS60s remain tight. But again, I play my CS60s with pretty heavy overdrive sometimes and they sound great to me.
Epinez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Thanks Epinez. Good info.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Depends on what sound you want. Want a 50's Strat sound? Pick up the 57/62's! The bridge pickup can be thin, but if you adjust the height correctly, it sounds beautiful. One thing I did find, I really didn't care for them with thin strings. I only had a set of 9's laying around and wanted some new strings.... They sounded weak and thin, but with 10's and better they sound great. The 11's I put on the other day are super tasty!

I find my 57/62's very musical and dynamic with a wide dynamic range and very good touch response. I do not like them with heavy distortion, however good overdrive or a nice germanium fuzz sound very tasty indeed! They are more twangy than a lot of Strat pickups and do not have super quack like my Tex-Mex's. They have a very nice vintage tone. You can get Buddy Holly, Surf and Jazzy tones out of them easily.

I have compared them directly to CS69's, Roadworn Tex-Mex's, MIM stock pickups, GFS Vintage winds and stock Highway 1's.

I found the RW Tex-Mex's and CS69's hold their own against them. They are different, but nice. I found the T-M's and CS69's to have more of a 60's vintage tone. The 57/62's are definitely more 50's voiced. I am not a huge fan of the GFS pickups that I played and I am not a fan of the stock MIM pickups at all. I am not a huge fan of Highway 1 pickups either, I find them too modern of a voice for me.

I did play an AVRI57 with these pickups (I think that's the guitar, whatever it was, it came with these pickups) and the bridge pickup sounded awful. It was terribly thin and ice-picky. My bridge pickup is very full! It is bright and twangy, and sounds really good as a rhythm pickup. I think it has to do with proper setup and height adjustment.

Old May 7th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

I've got 2 MIA Strats with the AV 57/62 pups but neither is actually an AV model.

These are both the "Cubic Zirc" model FMIC did in 2006, using a tarted up AS Strat with abalone markers, special gemstone, etc.

Once I got the bridge and tuners squared away, I switched the 2d tone control from the middle and bridge to the bridge pickup only and added a base plate to the bridge pickup as well. Since I play primarily clean I get a very satisfactory result, indeed. NO plans at all to pull these pups.

I have a CS '60 and those pups are not noise canceling, plus I chose not to mess with the wiring so, to me, that guitar is the pure vintage tones model and the AV 57/62 pupped Strats do the versatile stuff instead.

I very much dislike the hyper overwound A3 non baseplated pickups in the Highway One TELE (particularly the upgrade) but to my great surprise, I found that on a Highway One Strat (yes an upgrade) once the guitar neck was replaced with something really beefy and the bridge assembly was replaced by a Chimemaster and the bridge pickup was baseplated and the tone control switched to the bridge not the middle, these stock H1 Strat pickups are not bad at all.

I've come to the reluctant conclusion that too many people blame the pickup when other basics of the guitar are not put right first.
Boris Bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Good to hear these opinions......I picked up a set almost a year ago and still haven't installed them!! I had read mostly positive things about them. Now I have to decide which guitar they will go into!!
thaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Thanks--this is helpful. I found a site yesterday that had samples from both CS '60s and CS '69s and I listed to them all afternoon while I worked. I think I prefered the distortion of the '69s to the cleaner tones of the '60s. I couldn't find any samples of the 57/62s.

With my stock MIJ pickups, I'm having a hard time finding a good tone for rythm. The highs are ringing and clear, but the mid-range is muddy and the lows slightly less so. The best I'm able to get is a ringing tone that sounds almost like a Hammond organ. Which is kind of cool, but not very versatile. I don't know how much of this is because of my SS amp, a mid-'80s Peavey 130 Special.

Old May 8th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomy Boy View Post
Thanks--this is helpful. I found a site yesterday that had samples from both CS '60s and CS '69s and I listed to them all afternoon while I worked. I think I prefered the distortion of the '69s to the cleaner tones of the '60s. I couldn't find any samples of the 57/62s.

With my stock MIJ pickups, I'm having a hard time finding a good tone for rythm. The highs are ringing and clear, but the mid-range is muddy and the lows slightly less so. The best I'm able to get is a ringing tone that sounds almost like a Hammond organ. Which is kind of cool, but not very versatile. I don't know how much of this is because of my SS amp, a mid-'80s Peavey 130 Special.
I know the site you mention! He tries out a LOT of pickups. If its the comparison samples I'm thinking of - I think the CS69s clearly outshine the CS60s there. I think they fill that Hendrix tone role better than the CS60s. However, if the samples were a little cleaner the CS60s might sound better. If you do decide to go with CS60s you'll have to find a parted out set - because they're not currently sold separately (Although Mike Eldred from the Fender CS said they might offer them as a package in the future). I believe the guy that hosts that particular website of sound samples has a set of CS60s for sale as well.
Epinez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

My AVRI 57 has 57/62s - one thing I will say is that the middle pickup sounds fantastic. I never used to use it much on its own on other Strats, but I'm finding I'm playing with this one a lot. It absolutely nails that late 50s "That'll Be The Day" solo tone, plus it sounds great for Peter Buck-style open chord arpeggio jangling.
CandyAppleHead is offline   Reply With Quote