Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Pickup Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Pickup Forum Strat-talk.com's guitar pickup forum

Old February 11th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Brandon Wound Pickups, Opinions?

I just ordered a set of pickups from Jared, he owns the company. They are hand wound and lots of people seem to dig them. Has anyone used them? When I get them I will put up a review.

Flip Downey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Has no one checked out these pickups?

Old February 14th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I'll give a bump since I've seen them on ebay and he'll customize for each order.Haven't heard any.
StratoTerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 14th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Well I'll tell you guys, I ordered a set from him and boy I love them. I am an LP kinda guy and got a mexi strat with stock pups and liked the tone, then I put these in and holy sh#t they turned it into a monster. I told him what I dig and he said he knew exactly what he'd wind up. I didn't like the bridge pup on any strat I've played and told him this and the pup in the bridge now is warmer and fat sounding. Of course it still has a bite to it and a growl but now a thin shrill sound at all. I'll try to put some clips up when I get a chance, I don't own any recording gear of my own, the other band members bought me out of it, but I'll get some up soon.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I just put a set of his 62 spec Strat pickups in a maple neck MIJ Strat I have a few weeks ago. It takes me a while to get used to something and make a final decision but so far I really like them. I've only used them once playing out live (which is the ultimate test for me) but I preferred them over the CS 69 pickups in my CP60s Strat, I had both guitars with me that night and switched back and forth on several songs. The CS69s to me had more of a "Glassy" sound, while Brandon's 62 set has a warmer, richer tone. Never having played a real 62 or any other Vintage Strat I have nothing to compare this to, but I do like them. I have some very modest recording gear, I might try to record a comparison sometime.
BlacknBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member!

His Humbuckers are good. The first custom Strat I built has a pair of them in 7.6K and 8.2K winds, 42 ga. enamel wire, using AlNiCo V magnets. It's my go-to guitar for gigs.
Eastbville is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBlue View Post
I just put a set of his 62 spec Strat pickups in a maple neck MIJ Strat I have a few weeks ago. It takes me a while to get used to something and make a final decision but so far I really like them. I've only used them once playing out live (which is the ultimate test for me) but I preferred them over the CS 69 pickups in my CP60s Strat, I had both guitars with me that night and switched back and forth on several songs. The CS69s to me had more of a "Glassy" sound, while Brandon's 62 set has a warmer, richer tone. Never having played a real 62 or any other Vintage Strat I have nothing to compare this to, but I do like them. I have some very modest recording gear, I might try to record a comparison sometime.
I had an actual '62 Strat p/up , it was warmer and richer than a '69 CS (one of my favs) hollower too. I used it as a neck. Glad the B.W.s worked out.
StratoTerr is offline   Reply With Quote