Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Pickup Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Pickup Forum Strat-talk.com's guitar pickup forum

Old February 18th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Master Tone/Vol +Blend or Neck Switch?

Hey everyone!

I'm having a dilemma with a choice that needs to be made asap;

I'm building a #0001 replica out of my Deluxe Roadhouse and I'm conflicted with which wiring schematic to apply. My options are:

1 Master Volume, 1 Master tone, and a Blender that adds neck to bridge and vice versa.
I feel like this is probably more versatile overall but I'm hesitant to apply a master tone as well as having "too much" of an option. I may prefer more restriction in the name of ease of use.

The other option is simply apply a Push/pull volume pot that allows the neck pup to be added to the 5-way switch setting. I would also change the tone knobs to give one to the neck and one to the bridge. I feel like this would be easier for me to rig up and use more effectively.

Lastly, this applies somewhat to the goal of this guitar: I think an add-neck switch would be more appropriate to the Gilmour side of this guitar's heritage. I'm aware that #0001 probably didn't use anything but vintage wiring but Gilmour has used the neck add.

What is a man to do?!

Old February 18th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhouse 0001 View Post
1 Master Volume, 1 Master tone, and a Blender that adds neck to bridge and vice versa
I have this setup on my Bluesman Vintage '62 Sedan[Strat] and I really like it. It allows you to beef up your tone at any given time.
TSims1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSims1 View Post
I have this setup on my Bluesman Vintage '62 Sedan[Strat] and I really like it. It allows you to beef up your tone at any given time.
Gets my vote too.The N and B sound better to me than N and M which I find muddy.I like to use a switch pot to put the 5 way setting in series w the B as well.3 more tones , 5 more solder connections.
StratoTerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I have a blend for neck/bridge and I love it.I think I may do that mod to any and all Strats that come my way in the future but I think I'll swop out the 250k pot for a 500k to open it up more
Andrew M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

If you use a Super Switch, you can choose any kind of L,C, or R load per switch position that you want. For instance, you could bypass the tone knobs for the combined pickup tones, and just keep the 250k pots for the individual pickups, or whatever other parallel configuration you want. It's actually very easy to do.
Aquaflan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I like the push/pull pot tone knob option. It works well for me and was an easy wiring job. Love, that Neck/Bridge tone!
mutato is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I like to use a push/push pot in the lower tone position so it's out of the way and is easy to use when you want. I don't like the blend option as it is to time consuming to keep dialing it in where you want it for a particular song. It does give the different amount of neck to bridge but just to much to mess with if you are playing. Push/push or push/pull keeps it simple and easy to use and you always know what you are getting without trying to dial it in.
D.Allen is offline   Reply With Quote