Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Pickup Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Pickup Forum Strat-talk.com's guitar pickup forum

Old June 21st, 2012, 12:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

What pickups are good for Ash bodies?

Pretty soon, I would like to upgrade my MIM Classic '70s strat. I've been thinking over for a long time about what pickups I want and the sound I'm looking for,I play classic rock and blues(intermediate level, still woodshedding). For a strat with an Ash body, what pickups can give me a Clapton, Hendrix or David Gilmour sounds? I'm considering:

Fender Custom Shop '54s - I've heard/read that these are better suited for Ash body Strats, I like a lot what I've heard of them.

Fender Custom Shop '69s - I was set on buying these for a while but the more I read about and what I've heard of audio/video clips on internet, I'm not really sure anymore if these are the ones I want.

Gold Lace Sensors - I love the late 80-90s era Clapton tones.

Lollar Vintage Tweed - I really like these but they're a little over my budget right now.

Let me know what has worked for you from your experience with the same or similar guitar, thanks!

GuitaristDog87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2012, 01:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat Cat

I like the Lace sensors, I have used them for a few years now. They are low output, very bell like, low noise. There is a member here, D.Allen; send him a PM, he can help you out. I have his Stratcat set, very warm, mid scooped, goes great with a little dirt.

Old June 21st, 2012, 01:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

CS54 - they are in the ash strats era spirit
Homesick345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 21st, 2012, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

The '69s have the "piano" attack present on Jimi's recordings. I like like them for the bridge and not for the neck for that reason. I like to mix p/ups and prefer a bitey hollow p/up for the N.As its said in many threads, its hard to tell from demos what p/ups will sound like in your guitar, thru your set up, w your fingers. Just about any good quality p/up will sound good and usually can be sold on ebay for most of what you paid. If you have a concept of the attack, tone, harmonics etc. you want for each position one of the forum winders could probably help if you email them. Or get more specific recommendations from the thread.
StratoTerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2012, 11:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

If you really want to sound like jimi, I'd recommend D. Allen VooDoo 69's. Amazing set, sounds exactly like I want a strat to sound like. The quack isn't huge, but that is actually really nice a lot of the time.

Old June 21st, 2012, 03:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Body wood don't mean Jack.

>I've heard/read that these are better suited for Ash body Strats<

b s does seem to carry on for some reason, just because someone says it, doesn't mean it's true.

As far as pups, CS 69's are FABULOUS !!

sjtalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2012, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Which sets have less treble in the bridge pup, the '54s or '69s?

Old June 22nd, 2012, 12:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I'm outta here.
Homesick345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2012, 03:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Thank you all for your help. My search is over, I'm going with David Allen FlatTop pickups.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 03:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Strat Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitaristDog87 View Post
Thank you all for your help. My search is over, I'm going with David Allen FlatTop pickups.
excellent choice

Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Before you go with the FlatTops, talk to David about his new 62 Replicas. I have both the FlatTops and 62 Replicas here, with the 62's currently in my ash body MJT strat. We all know how subjective pickups and sound is, but the 62's are a step above the FlatTops IMHO. The 62's nail the original early 60's sound much better than the FlatTops. Both are good, but if I could only have one set it would be no contest for me
Tim Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Thanks, I'll reconsider those. I talked to David Allen through PM last night and one of the sets he recommended were those, also the FlatTops and a few other sets.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Another question I have for the people that have been playing longer than me, are mainstream pickup manufacturers (Fender, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio etc.,) going downhill which is why players are more interested in boutique pickups?

Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Another question I have for the people that have been playing longer than me, are mainstream pickup manufacturers (Fender, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio etc.,) going downhill which is why players are more interested in boutique pickups?
I have heard a lot of reasons for boutique but not that one. Some people prefer hand-wound. Some want to support the little guy. Some just think the sound is much better. Some people want something custom. I like a balance between price, quality, and sound. There are very few boutique guys who can do that although I guess Bill Lawrence and Bryan Gushner hit the sweet spot for me.
Golem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
are mainstream pickup manufacturers (Fender, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio etc.,) going downhill which is why players are more interested in boutique pickups?

Nope, it's because the grass is always greener. Some are always searching for that PERFECT tone, or they want to sound like so-in-so. Well, no matter what a person does with his gear, the appendages on the end of your arms are what makes the sound in the end anyway you slice it.
sjtalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2012, 12:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

The FlatTops were not made to sound like a vintage 60's set. I think they are in the ball park but can play smoother an punchier depending on how you play them. That is why Bart Walker likes them enough to have them in not just his #1 but his #2 as well. Check out his playing at the Memphis international Blues contest his band took 2nd at. Bart likes to play Jazz and blues and loves to play SRV.
The 62's are based on a '62 set I had in to look at and the main difference would be I used a low modern stagger. I should get them up on my site by end I next week. Both are outstanding sets.
D.Allen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Which sets have less treble in the bridge pup, the '54s or '69s?
Any set with the tone control wired to the bridge pickup. IMHO, no Strat should lack this simple mod.
nadzab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2012, 09:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Yeah the only position that needs it doesn't have it.
StratoTerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2012, 09:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Personally for the wood type vs. pup I like an A5 slightly underwound in the bridge with an A2 neck right around 6.8 or so. As far as the middle mid 7k range. I am prodominantly a HSS guy when it comes to Ash so take it for what it is worth.........
captcoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2012, 09:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I have an ash strat with SD's that sounds great. It was a special edition made in korea version.. Its a good combination.
td67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote