Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Pickup Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Pickup Forum Strat-talk.com's guitar pickup forum

Old August 10th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member!

Neck pickup for Jazz tones. .

Can anyone recommend a single coil pickup for the neck for my Fat Strat that will give me nice jazz tones. . .without routing, etc. I want something that will just slot in. .

I like the neck on the Strat and don't want to switch guitars, nor do I want a custom pick guard.

lareplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

A tele neck pickup is not a perfect fit, but it does fit in a strat slot. It gives you a lot more warmth than a normal single coil.

Also, a hot rail type gives you a humbucker sound in a strat single coil slot.
nickmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Cool Rails, Seymour Duncan '59, Lace Light Blue, Wilde Pickups L-45. They'd all do what you want. I guess none of those are at all traditional single coils. I agree that neck pickups on teles will work.
Golem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 10th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

First and most important, you can play jazz with any pup or any guitar, you make the sound. Lee Ritenour use a Strat with EMG to play a lot of Jazz.

Second, if you want the traditional jazz sound, get a Gibson or it's copy. You cannot make a strat sound Gibson no matter how hard you tried. I tried. When I was young, I want a Les Paul, I didn't have the money, so I bought a Tele Deluxe. I tried changing to Gibson hb, it still sounded like a Tele and destroy the Tele along the way. I ended up working hard, saving up money and bought a Les Paul. If that's what you want, you are in the wrong forum. Go to Gibson forum. Sound is so much more than the pup.

Third, forget Lace Blue. I have a lot of Lace sensor I bought before the stacked noiseless pup came out, Lace in general are pretty bad to my ears. Particular the Blue, you loss all the nice things of the true single coil, BUT you don't get the meat of the P90 or the true HB. That got to be the worst of both worlds. AND it is not noiseless.

If you insist on modifying your strat, stay with humbucker, if the traditional jazz is what you are after, it's humbucker. But don't say I've not warn you, you are not going to get there with a strat.
Alan0354 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member!

wow. . .that Wilde L-45 sounds gorgeous!!

Here's a link to really fine tone. . .some talking at the beginning but worth it. Nice jazz playing as well.

Old August 10th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Asset...ial_jazz_5.mp3

sounds pretty good to me if you still want a traditional single coil strat pickup. If you don't mind hum canceling single coils you have a world of options
jason555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

While I disagree about the Blue being bad for Jazz, I do prefer the light blue lace sensor for Jazz. Using the blue and light blue I have in series (Lace Dually) is superb for Jazz. I keep the blue closer to the fretboard to keep it warm and make the sensors contrast more.
Golem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
New Member!

I'm thinking L-45 in the neck position, how would light blue be in the mid position?

Old August 11th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

What kinda strat you got? Have you pulled up the PG to make sure you don't have room for a HB? Most of the strats these days are routed HSH. Anyways... If you only have room for a single, I'm with Nicksmith, put in a tele neck pup. It does the jazz thing very nicely. If it's routed for HB, then you've got all sorts of options.

Old August 11th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

FYI, your note choices, rhythm, and timing is your biggest determinant for how "jazzy" you sound. If you like a strat sound, as I do, then go with that.

Your tone setting and amp (and its settings) would need to adjust how you sound in the mix with the band such as the difference between a combo and big band. I have a full sized L-5 copy archtop I usually play thru a polytone. And, I have a 57 RI strat and a 65 bandmaster I made into a 2x10 combo. I think the tube amp is better sounding all around with both guitars and I've done lots of gigs with both on both amps. So basically I'm saying its not your tone per se that makes it "jazz," its note choice, etc. The guy in the video sounds good but I don't consider that very jazz sounding at all. I'd call it more post modern finger style than anything else. I have found that music that is not obviously rock/metal or classical or blues (like T-bone walker, or BB, etc) gets pigeon-holed into "jazz."

I realize that the jazz genre is very wide but at it's core, jazz is blues, and since about the mid to late 40's elements of bebop as well. Think Chet Baker, Miles, Bird, Getz, Burrell, etc. Pat Methany is an awesome player but I'll go on record as saying his tone is terrible. Way to muddy. You really have to listen closely to hear all the great stuff he does. If his tone were clearer more people would be completely floored by his playing. Anyhoo. I don;t think you should be too hung up on pickups. If you don't know the jazz language then it won't matter what your tone sounds like. Wes Montgomery would sound just as good on a strat, trust me.
Mr BC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BC View Post
I realize that the jazz genre is very wide but at it's core, jazz is blues, and since about the mid to late 40's elements of bebop as well. Think Chet Baker, Miles, Bird, Getz, Burrell, etc. Pat Methany is an awesome player but I'll go on record as saying his tone is terrible. Way to muddy. You really have to listen closely to hear all the great stuff he does. If his tone were clearer more people would be completely floored by his playing.
Well said!

I don't know about Wes on a Fender but this early vid of Joe Pass has him on a Fender, which he never used in his later pro career. I thought he might have the treble rolled off a bit too far like Metheney.

davidKOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

A bit better tone on this one

davidKOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
New Member!

lots of great ideas here. . .I'm still looking for a middle position pickup. I'm doing an L-45 in the neck, and a Carvin H22 Holdsworth in the bridge. . .so I'm wanting something that contrasts with those. I don't want an even sound that offers the same family of tones, but more variety.

Any ideas? I like sustain, and articulate sounds. Is there a single coil sized Gretch sounding pickup, that might be quite different.

I'm open to ideas so keep them coming. .