Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum (http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pickup Forum (http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/pickup-forum/)
-   -   Lace Sensor Golds -- opinions? (http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/pickup-forum/236615-lace-sensor-golds-opinions.html)

flyswatter June 27th, 2013 11:38 AM

Lace Sensor Golds -- opinions?

I have a chance to acquire a set of Lace Sensor Golds in a trade for a set of HBs I'm not using. They came from an '89 Strat Plus and I plan on using them in my 2004 MIM Standard (which currently has the stock ceramic pups).

I've heard plenty of good things about Lace but never used them. I'm mainly a blues-rock player but I dip into other styles as well.

Any experience with/ opinions on these pickups?

Gold Lace Sensor -Actodyne - set - Ville de Montréal instruments de musique à vendre - Kijiji Ville de Montréal

cheers

stevierayfan91 June 27th, 2013 12:44 PM

hey, man
those older fender stamped Lace sensors with metal plates generally sound pretty good.(and seem to be liked a little more than the newer design)/
the Golds are kind of like a less noisy but still vintage sounding set.
if you don't like em, you can resell them pretty easy :) .
buddy guy and Clapton used to use the old Golds.

flyswatter June 27th, 2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevierayfan91 (Post 1327467)
if you don't like em, you can resell them pretty easy :) .
buddy guy and Clapton used to use the old Golds.

Exactly what I was thinking... nothing to lose by trying them. Would love to have some noiseless pups I can live with (tried DiMarzios before and couldn't).

Thanks for the input.

Alan0354 June 27th, 2013 02:42 PM

I had the old Gold before, didn't like it. My friend want to buy it, so I sold to him real quick. It just too hifi and flat to me. It just doesn't not stand out. I have Silver and Red also. The only one I like it well enough is the Silver for the middle position. Red is the worst, it is barely ok for bridge, it absolutely sucks in other positions. Usually you can use the bright pup for other position where it is a little louder but similar, not this one.

Good thing I can say about Lace is it is quieter ( not like hb, don't kid yourself). And also, it has lower magnetic pull on the strings. I use the Silver on and off in the middle position to lower the overall magnetic pull on the strings and get a little better sustain.

One other thing that might not be important. I took a Silver apart, it is very cheap looking inside. The magnet is like thin sheet of those rubber flexible refrigerator magnet lining inside the metal tub wrapping around a small coil. No poles or anything.

I used Lace before the Fender Vintage Noiseless and Dimarzio Virtual vintage came out. After that, I dumped them quick.

flyswatter June 27th, 2013 03:11 PM

Thanks, Alan. I want to hear from all ranges of opinion on this. Obviously I'll make up my own mind when I get them, but it's helpful to know the possible pros and cons to expect.

fenderkev June 27th, 2013 06:02 PM

The Golds in my '89 Strat plus were my all time favourite pup. Smoother and a touch thicker sounding than regular single coils but still very vintage sounding, but without the hum and feedback problems associated with those. I've tried Fender VN's, and HNs, and SCNs, but the Golds were still by far my favourite.

They are very quiet, though maybe not totally Noiseless like a Stack or Blade, but having used them in a gigging situation in direct comparison with a full size humbucker, I can say the Golds were much quieter, and only hummed with full on gain.

I'm not crazy about the newer type and in the absence of the old type Golds as described by SRVfan, am now using DiMarzio Area 58s and a Virtual Solo. If Lace started to make 'em like they used to I'd have a set back in my Strat before you could say "Yngwie Malmsteen"!

Alan0354 June 27th, 2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyswatter (Post 1327581)
Thanks, Alan. I want to hear from all ranges of opinion on this. Obviously I'll make up my own mind when I get them, but it's helpful to know the possible pros and cons to expect.

This is so subjective, it's just didn't work for me. Might work for you.

amstratnut June 27th, 2013 07:29 PM

I had them in few different guitars. I liked them but I always swapped them out.

I wish I hadnt traded them but they might still be sitting in a drawer.

My main issue was not enough punch like alnico 5 pups have.

Alan0354 June 27th, 2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amstratnut (Post 1327774)
I had them in few different guitars. I liked them but I always swapped them out.

I wish I hadnt traded them but they might still be sitting in a drawer.

My main issue was not enough punch like alnico 5 pups have.

Exactly, it just doesn't have the Oofff. It just missing something. After I got the Fender VN, I never looked back.

Maybe, it's the pole piece. You know, the strat pup just have the kind of attack the P90, hb, or Lace doesn't have. It's just not the same.

Maybe the pole piece that cause the stratitise does give you the attack nothing else can give, you just have to live with the stratitize.

I think the Fender VN has the pole magnet extend through both coil where the Dimarzio pole is only in the top coil. Maybe, that's the reason why the Dimarzio is never equal to the Fender VN. I can push the pole in the VN up and down as if it's one piece. I know for sure the Dimarzio magnet are only half length as I took them out.

fender_freak June 27th, 2013 09:17 PM

I love mine...plenty of bite for me. Very crisp and clear sounding. They don't drive an amp real hard-but that's what I like about them, they also sound very nice and clear with distortion.

guitarman60 June 29th, 2013 08:35 PM

Lace Golds are my favorite pickup ever. They sound great and love effects. I've been playing them since 1990. Coolest strat tones ever. Quieter than humbuckers. Send me any you know of sitting around unused. I use them on everything.

CalicoSkies June 29th, 2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevierayfan91 (Post 1327467)
hey, man
those older fender stamped Lace sensors with metal plates generally sound pretty good.(and seem to be liked a little more than the newer design)

Based on what I've read on Lace's web site and other web sites, I was under the impression that the Lace Sensor Gold pickups sold today are the same design as was used by Fender on their Stratocasters. Is that not true?

unionjack515 June 29th, 2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan0354 (Post 1327555)

Good thing I can say about Lace is it is quieter ( not like hb, don't kid yourself). And also, it has lower magnetic pull on the strings. I use the Silver on and off in the middle position to lower the overall magnetic pull on the strings and get a little better sustain.

One other thing that might not be important. I took a Silver apart, it is very cheap looking inside. The magnet is like thin sheet of those rubber flexible refrigerator magnet lining inside the metal tub wrapping around a small coil. No poles or anything.

I'm sure I'll get some physics major explaining the gruesome details, but from my understanding, part of the allure to the Lace Sensors is just that--no poles. This helps protect from bending a string off a pole and losing level to the amp until you bring the string back closer to the pole. I have golds loaded in two of my Strats (a Plus that's stock and a Clapton that I had built for me) and I couldn't be happier. With the right amp they're very versatile pickups.

bigmuff113 June 29th, 2013 09:50 PM

IIRC Tony Sims likes em.... So they're good

fenderkev June 30th, 2013 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalicoSkies (Post 1329740)
Based on what I've read on Lace's web site and other web sites, I was under the impression that the Lace Sensor Gold pickups sold today are the same design as was used by Fender on their Stratocasters. Is that not true?

As soon as Fender came up with their own Noiseless pup in the late '90s, Lace Sensors were no longer used on new Fender guitars. Apart from anything else, Fender no longer had to buy in pups so saved money.
The older Sensors were built on an Alumininum plate, whereas with the newer type the magnets and windings are glued inside a total plastic housing.(See pics below). IMO this has changed how they sound. I don't know why they just don't revert to making 'em like they used too.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2zxntzn.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2m3l755.jpg

flyswatter July 1st, 2013 09:30 PM

So, the Lace Sensors went in. Then the Lace Sensors came out. I can see why some people would like them (noise reducing, lots of sparkle, etc.) but they just weren't for me. Oh well, win some lose some. I'll sell or trade for something else.

Thanks for all the input, folks.

CalicoSkies July 1st, 2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyswatter (Post 1331665)
So, the Lace Sensors went in. Then the Lace Sensors came out. I can see why some people would like them (noise reducing, lots of sparkle, etc.) but they just weren't for me. Oh well, win some lose some. I'll sell or trade for something else.

If you don't like the Lace Sensors, I might suggest a set of Kinman pickups (Noiseless Guitar Pickups | Kinman Guitar Pickups). Theirs are noise-cancelling, but I think they are brighter-sounding than the Lace Sensors and are higher-output. If you want a classic Strat sound, I'd recommend their Traditional Mk-III set or their Impersonator 54 set, which supposedly has an even more authentic, '54 Strat sound. I've also heard good reviews about DiMarzio pickups..