Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Pickup Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Pickup Forum Strat-talk.com's guitar pickup forum

Old October 16th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

2 Volumes 1 Tone Strat Wiring

Has anyone seen a diagram for it?
It's for my HSS Strat.
Wanting to have 1 Vol for Neck & Mid (250k), 1 for Hum alone (500k), and a Tone pot for the 2 SC, no need for the hum.

Can someone actually explain the basic concepts on how the lugs on the switch actually works? so we can think of different wirings ourselves?

kingdavidy2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

If the switch you're using is a CRL type (not enclosed like the switches that are used by Squier) you can actually hold the switch in your hand and move it around to see how it works. The terminal on one end of the switch connects to the "wiper" that moves as you change the switch positions. This is the "common" terminal. The other side of the switch works exactly the same way.

I know how to wire your controls to accomplish what you want, but I'm horrible at making wiring diagrams on the computer and my scanner is shot. This is so frustrating...

Yngwie Malmsteen "Duck" replica by Locke Custom Guitars
Stratplayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for that Mike.

Please allow me to help you, help me
I made a diagram of all the lugs in the switch and pots + the wires on the PU and jack. All you have to do is type which connects to where. like A-H, and so on.

I hope this helps

Thanks again Mike
Attached Thumbnails
2 Volumes 1 Tone Strat Wiring-2vol-1tone-hss-strat.jpg  

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 17th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

anyone else cab help me out?

Old October 17th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

One of these may help
s-s-h strat wiring - Google Search

EDIT : actually, I just skimmed through them and didn't see anything
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

pm Mike and ask him to look at the diagram ... he's online

Old October 17th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I'm here now. I forgot all about this until it got brought to the top again.

Best way I can figure would be to wire the pickups directly to the volume controls before taking the signal to the selector switch. This would require a 250K stacked potentiometer for the neck & middle pickups so you can keep their signals separate from each other. In other words, two pots controlled by one shaft/one knob. These are hard to come by but I've seen them somewhere. I'm sure this can be accomplished with one of those 4-pole "super switches" too, and then the pickups could go straight to the switch and then the volume controls like normal. I need to try and work it out on paper, as the super switches lose me when I'm doing it in my head. I'll try to get back to you sooner this time...

Old October 17th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Finally got a diagram done for this. It's a horrible mess, as I had to keep scribbling with my pen to get it working again, and my handwriting and artistic abilities aren't my greatest attributes anyway. I used blue for the grounds to try and help make it easier to read. Thought I'd post it here instead of sending it via PM so others could offer their input (not on how messy it is though! )

This requires a 4-pole super switch in place of the regular 5-way:

STEWMAC.COM : Instructions for Super Switch

And here's the diagram :

Old October 17th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Thanks heaps for that Mike, You're a legend!

Old October 17th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

You're welcome. Couple of notes on this:

1.) Make sure you wire the volume controls as I showed them; not the way Fender normally does it. All I did was switch two wires going to the posts on them. This will keep the bridge volume control from affecting the neck/middle pickups and vice versa.

2.) Make sure you run that jumper wire from pole 2, terminal 0 to pole 4, terminal 0 on the super switch, or your tone control won't function.

3.) The way I have it shown, the tone control will affect the bridge pickup when the switch is in position 2 (bridge & mid). If you don't want this to happen, on pole 2 just jumper terminals 3, 4, and 5 together and run a wire to the tone control from there, omitting the jumper to terminal 2.

I think this pretty much covers it. Any ?s just PM me to draw my attention back here.

Old October 17th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Bookmarked for future ref

Old October 17th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Would this also work if you ran the humbucker to its volume pot before the switch and wire the rest normally? You wouldn't have separate volume controls. You would have a master volume, humbucker volume, and master tone. Would that also work? I'm just curious.
Egnater Tweaker Head and Cab
paleus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

kingdavidy2k,

I just found a mistake I made. The wires that go from the switch to the middle posts on the volume controls need to be switched. I kept thinking that if I were to do this I'd want to keep the volume & tone controls for the neck & middle pickups together, and that screwed me up on the diagram. I got it right in the super switch detail though...

Old October 17th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleus View Post
Would this also work if you ran the humbucker to its volume pot before the switch and wire the rest normally? You wouldn't have separate volume controls. You would have a master volume, humbucker volume, and master tone. Would that also work? I'm just curious.
If you wired your output from the humbucker to the middle post on the 500K volume control, then the ungrounded side post from the control to pole 1, terminals 1 & 2 of the switch and pole 1, terminal 0 of the switch to the output jack, and everything else was the same, then it would still work exactly as it does on my diagram.

In order to get what you're talking about, you'd keep everything wired as I showed in my diagram, but instead of the wire from the ungrounded side post of the bridge pickup volume control to the output jack, you'd run a wire from that post to the middle post on the other (master volume) control, and another from there to the center post on the tone control. You then wouldn't need pole 2 on the super switch.

Old October 17th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Thanks StratPlayer.
Egnater Tweaker Head and Cab
paleus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
New Member!

i tried this:
Two Volumes, No Waiting

works ok for me, the change to 500k vol. makes my JB Jr. more clear and defined and closer to the full size JB sound i have in the other guitar.

anma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I realize this thread has been buried for quite some time, but just in case someone digs it up and tries this wiring in their strat I wanted to correct some mistakes I made. Hopefully the OP doesn't mind, but I figured the best way to show the errors and the fixes for them was to copy & paste the PM he sent me and my response:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdavidy2k
Thanks Mike,
Chris Klein emailed me with the details.
Black = Hot, Green = Ground.

I've just finished installing the PU with your diagram.
Few things:

The switch orientation is upside down, what's normally my neck position is now my bridge and vice versa. I can't turn the superswitch around because it wouldn't fit the cavity.

Also the neck position is not working. Works when its neck+mid but on its on theres nothing.

I noticed on your diagram the neck wire goes to lug 3, but on the explanation it goes to lug 4. I put it on Lug 4. Is this what causing this?

Thanks heaps mike,
Really appreciate your help.
David
Hi David,
Sorry it took so long for me to reply; I'm real busy now what with Christmas being here and all. Glad you got Chris Klein to straighten you out on the color coding.

Sorry about the confusion I have caused, especially with the switch orientation being backwards. I'm trying, but keep in mind I've never even seen a super switch in person let alone wired one. I'm just going by info I see on stewmac.com. The main reason I jumped in and decided to try helping with this is I love a challenge when it comes to wiring something up.

Anyway, the only way to fix the orientation if the switch can't be physically flipped around is to carefully swap the wires around. You'll have to do this for each pole too. Leave wires on the #3 and #0 terminals alone, and swap 2 to 4 and vice versa, and swap 1 to 5 and vice versa. I didn't realize that on the stewmac website #1 correlates to the neck pickup and #5 to the bridge pickup; I've always thought of it as being the other way around.

As for the neck pickup not working, I meant to connect that wire to the #5 terminal with a jumper to the #4 terminal on the diagram, but since you're going to be swapping wires around you'll want it to be on #1 with a jumper to #2. Hope this makes sense. If you need any other help I'll try to be a little faster at responding.

Mike