Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966) 1965 and earlier Stratocasters - the Pre-CBS forum

Old May 9th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member!

1959 Fiesta Red Strat

I have an acquaintance that wants to sell his 59' Fiesta Red Strat, and I was just wondering what is the best way to go about doing so. Somebody from the local guitar shop told him his axe could be worth between $40,000-$60000, so putting something like that on Ebay seems a little risky. Anything you could tell me about the market for this particular guitar would be great. FYI--the piece is completely original, and in very good condition.

Stratless is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

This

This Protect Your Investment with an Appraisal from Gruhn Guitars
zenken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

As you have a good idea of its value why not try taking it to somewhere like the Arlington show where there will be lots of dealers with that sort of money and looking to buy?
lovejoy is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 10th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

He'd get the most money selling it to a private party. A dealer is going to offer considerably less than the market value, and selling it on ebay would send a lot of money in fees to ebay.

I'd have an attorney draw up some sort of basic bill of sale and such, and then try to sell it privately.
caldera is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Appraisals these days are typically useless...especially since you are not required to have an "in hand" inspection to get an appraisal...

I agree with the others...stay away from dealers....they will try to rape you and make you feel good about it... You'd be lucky to get 50 cents on the dollar.

Private sale maybe even an auction house (like heritage auctions) would be the way to go.
oasisguitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

i'm a buyer, send some good pics and i'll offer
goodasaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2013, 11:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I've been casually looking for a pre CBS

Here's a point of reference.. ($32k with rw slab):
Vintage In Store Vintage VINTAGE 1959 FENDER STRAT SNBST OHSC | GuitarCenter

Here's another.. ($21K maple neck):
Vintage In Store Vintage VINT 1959 FENDER STRAT SNBST | GuitarCenter

GC rep said price disparity is because $32k guitar was purchased at the peak of the market. Also said these prices are negotiable. A custom colored fiesta, if it's a player, would be worth more, I would think. But pbly not double. I could be wrong. Food for thought.

"Never underestimate the difficulty of changing false beliefs by facts." ~ Harvard economist Henry Rosovsky
335eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335eye View Post
Here's a point of reference.. ($32k with rw slab):
Vintage In Store Vintage VINTAGE 1959 FENDER STRAT SNBST OHSC | GuitarCenter

Here's another.. ($21K maple neck):
Vintage In Store Vintage VINT 1959 FENDER STRAT SNBST | GuitarCenter

GC rep said price disparity is because $32k guitar was purchased at the peak of the market. Also said these prices are negotiable. A custom colored fiesta, if it's a player, would be worth more, I would think. But pbly not double. I could be wrong. Food for thought.
You find on a lot of occasions the asking price and the price achieved at final sale are worlds apart.
lovejoy is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovejoy View Post
You find on a lot of occasions the asking price and the price achieved at final sale are worlds apart.
I'm hoping..

"Never underestimate the difficulty of changing false beliefs by facts." ~ Harvard economist Henry Rosovsky
335eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

its value is what someone is willing to pay.
in this economy?
way less than it used to be but its starting to slightly pick up.
i'm about to buy a SB gorgeous shape for less than 18 so it gives you a ballpark for SB.
how much more is a custom color worth? hard to say.

Old June 20th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

If "somebody from a local guitar shop" is prepared to hand your friend $40k-$60k, then you can trust him on value. If not, he's blowing smoke up your nose. I had a craigslist seller tell me that a local guitar shop told her that her 96 MIM strat was worth a lot of money because the serial number started MN. Go ahead and ponder that one.

I'd contact Gruhn. Start with a photo appraisal and then perhaps send the guitar down for consignment. 40-60k sounds like "I once saw some guitar on antiques roadshow bring that much, so it must be worth that".

Old June 26th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodasaf View Post
Its value is what someone is willing to pay. In this economy? How much more is a custom color worth? Hard to say.
... Nice try. Sounds like you've been watching too many episodes of "American Pickers", "Pawn Stars" et al.
Pliny Junior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny Junior View Post
... Nice try. Sounds like you've been watching too many episodes of "American Pickers", "Pawn Stars" et al.
LOL
what?
the days of selling these for 50K are prety much over.
Clean 59 SB with white guard went this week for 16K.
clean 57's go for 23-25K.
Slab 60-62 go for 16-17K.
how much is the fiesta red premium worth?
take a guess.
advertise for 45K and see what kind of offers you get.

Old June 27th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:

Actually even on fretted Americana you can see that the asking prices are much lower now than 4-5 years ago.

Sent via Hedwig.

Old June 27th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Duh ... retail prices for vintage Fender Strats have generally decreased over the past few years; especially for players, unoriginal, and issues-related guitars. We can all agree on that. But, selling prices for iconic custom-color original Fender Strats in clean excellent condition are different - even in today's soft market. For example, how many Fiesta Red slab neck '59 Strats, in clean original condition w/case, are out there for sale at any price?
Pliny Junior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I think part of the answer is actually how many buyers??

Old July 1st, 2013, 10:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Indeed Vintage pricing has fallen way down and has not ascended to the highs of years ago. I would recommend consigning with one of the well known Vintage Fender Dealers out there who will offer their own appraisal and represent the guitar for the owner. Gruhns, Dave's Guitars, Elderly to name several...
StratDen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2013, 12:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Duh ... retail prices for vintage Fender Strats have generally decreased over the past few years; especially for players, unoriginal, and issues-related guitars. We can all agree on that. But, selling prices for iconic custom-color original Fender Strats in clean excellent condition are different - even in today's soft market. For example, how many Fiesta Red slab neck '59 Strats, in clean original condition w/case, are out there for sale at any price?
I'm with you on that, especially if a couple of industrious friends of John Gault (sorry had to refrence it) get into a bidding war over it!
camel109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2013, 02:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by camel109 View Post

I'm with you on that, especially if a couple of industrious friends of John Gault (sorry had to refrence it) get into a bidding war over it!
Excellent point. As long as the seller is patient enough for the right exposure to get some deeper pockets interested in a setting where multiple offers (bids) can be entertained.
StratDen is offline   Reply With Quote