Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Sidewinders Bar & Grille
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Sidewinders Bar & Grille Sidewinder's is where Off Topic Discussion is welcomed. However it is a moderated section and not an "anything goes" section.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Send a message via AIM to The Envoy
Worst Guitar/Mods you've ever encountered?

So there are a lot of really nice-looking guitars on this site, but I know we've all come in contact with guitars that either came out of the factory as butt-ugly or were modded in a horribly unfortunate way. There are a few threads floating around of a few on this site, but there have to be more of them out there. Personally, the dumbest thing that I've ever seen done do a guitar is someone attempting to etch a word into an acoustic. It looked like it was carved with a linoleum knife. To make matters worse, the word was surrounded by bumper stickers (it was only on the back of the guitar, so the front looked fine, but still...)

Any others care to share their horror stories?

The Envoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

INB4 relic'ing
ShadowcasterXXX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

[quote=The Envoy;385983 Personally, the dumbest thing that I've ever seen done do a guitar is someone attempting to etch a word into an acoustic. It looked like it was carved with a linoleum knife. To make matters worse, the word was surrounded by bumper stickers (it was only on the back of the guitar, so the front looked fine, but still...)
[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of an acoustic Woody Guthrie had with a sticker that read "this machine kills facists," and I guess in homage John Mellencamp carved "f*** fascism."
jwhit007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

well, the retrofit floyds come to mind.
ghostwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

The Bumblefoot Swisscheese guitar is probably not the best thought out instrument ever made:

http://www.guitareuroshop.com/catalo...iniguitar2.jpg

Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Funny but ill-conceived with a very limited market:

http://www.stevenhumour.com/wp-conte...nis-guitar.jpg

Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
PolyMayerMaple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwolf View Post
well, the retrofit floyds come to mind.
it is not totally impossible that i will decide to do this at some point
Lua1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

worst mods?
relicing, killswitches, sustainers, neon pickups.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Left is right!

Back when I was doing my side biz I had a guy bring in a shocking yellow "Banana-caster" that he had put a Floyd and EMG's in...

Shop Rates: $40/hr. If you wait, $45/hr. If you watch, $55/hr. If you help, $65/hr. If you worked on it first, $100/hr.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I saw a MIM strat on Craigslist late last year that some kid had completely hacked. His ad started with, "If you're looking for a pretty guitar, this is not the one." Most of the pick guard had been cut off, only 2 pickups remained (I think they were blades of some type). They were shoved into the neck & bridge routes with double-sided tape holding them in and the neck was modified with a Gibson-style nut. There was some kind of special wiring - only a volume and one tone. These controls were the only reason some of the pick guard was still there. He was boldly asking $250 for his "shredder". It was kinda sad because when you read between the lines, you could tell he was somewhat remorseful for the hack mods he had inflicted on it and he needed money for a new guitar.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

What about Eddie Van Halen"s Charvel?

Sorry couldnt resist. But if he wasn't Van Halen that guitar would be considered a hack job.
amstratnut is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

When I was younger Epiphone or Gibson had some Explorer(I think...it's been over 20 years) bodies with buttons that kinda looked like bubbles or blister pack thingies that when engaged they were like distortion, chorus, and maybe delay. I thought they were cool, but I was 15. The shop owner thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. So I guess this is where the idea started for the robot guitar and that new Explorer thing Gibson's doing.
jwhit007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

[quote=Tele like it is;386053]Back when I was doing my side biz I had a guy bring in a shocking yellow "Banana-caster" that he had put a Floyd and EMG's in...

Shop Rates: $40/hr. If you wait, $45/hr. If you watch, $55/hr. If you help, $65/hr. If you worked on it first, $100/hr.[/quote]
been there, done that....
EMGs AND a Floyd? oh, lordy...
ghostwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
----------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele like it is View Post
Back when I was doing my side biz I had a guy bring in a shocking yellow "Banana-caster" that he had put a Floyd and EMG's in...

Shop Rates: $40/hr. If you wait, $45/hr. If you watch, $55/hr. If you help, $65/hr. If you worked on it first, $100/hr.
That's odd. When I was 13 the repair guy at the local shop use to take me into the repair room and show me how things were done. Either he was into little boys or he wanted to show me that it was ok to work on them if you know what you are doing. The craziest thing I did at that age to my guitar was pull the finish off the back of the neck because I didn't like the feel.
Krab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

i forgot about that robot guitar. great idea, just totally unnecessary. also, the VG strat was unnecessary to me. I guess I just like a guitar to be a guitar. The tele is the perfect design to me, so my opinions are biased. ya dont need anything that the tele doesnt have. ha ha ha

Old January 4th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
----------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant View Post
i forgot about that robot guitar. great idea, just totally unnecessary. also, the VG strat was unnecessary to me. I guess I just like a guitar to be a guitar. The tele is the perfect design to me, so my opinions are biased. ya dont need anything that the tele doesnt have. ha ha ha
Save for the second cut away.
Krab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Eddies look like a Mr. potatohead of parts and sloppy but lucky craftmanship gem.
the Garcia Alligator is a monstrocity of acid induced brilliance, why not a CS?
The Yngwie Duck/play loud looked ok 25 yrs ago the the repro is a mess
i'm not without guilt, my messes dont sell for 5 0s.
benderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Some of the mods at The Gear Page are real jackasses.
John Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Route 66 guitars used to have an ORIGINAL 58 or 59 Flametop Les Paul that someone took a saw and made it a double cutaway............... it was too painful to look at.

Old January 4th, 2011, 12:51 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

another one i dont care for is when someone moves the switch on a Les Paul to one of the pot locations, and just leaves that gaping hole up there.