Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Sidewinders Bar & Grille
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Sidewinders Bar & Grille Sidewinder's is where Off Topic Discussion is welcomed. However it is a moderated section and not an "anything goes" section.

Old February 25th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Chuck Berry sucks

I just saw some live footage of Chuck and he's ancient and can hardly play **** on guitar..

he was hitting wrong notes alot and just bending the same note over and over...

maybe it's cause he's too old and can't play anymore.

monstermagnet85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

He's in his mid-80s and never was a great player. However he wrote some of the most iconic songs in Rock history. Give the guy a break! At least he's still out there performing and letting people see a legend in person. Hopefully some 20-something won't be saying that you suck in 60 years. Although you probably will.
harrysmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Keith Richards is on his way over to your house right now to beat you to death with his walking stick.
tiredguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
----------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysmo View Post
He's in his mid-80s and never was a great player. However he wrote some of the most iconic songs in Rock history. Give the guy a break! At least he's still out there performing and letting people see a legend in person. Hopefully some 20-something won't be saying that you suck in 50 years. Although you probably will.
Yes and he was was the main guy that brought IMO Whites and Blacks together with his stuff.

fenson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Chuck is the REAL King of Rock and Roll . Sorry Elvis but it is what it is .
AncientAx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Although he never was a great guitar player, he's decent enough, and we should admire him for what he contributed to modern music and for his ability to keep on going.
When I'm 80, I'll probably be in bed with a feeding tube...
me_alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

He deserves credit for writing one of the most, if not the most well known intros is rock history. And yeah..."Hail, Hail Rock and Roll" is an awesome movie.
jwhit007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dark Cabaret

Are you kidding me? Not a great player? Have you heard Johnny B. Goode?

What else were people doing at that exact time in music history? Chuck came out rocking and shredding when people were still trying to figure out how these 'new' electric guitars worked.

This entire thread/post is nothing but trolling for a reaction. Go practice your guitar and hope one day you're half as inventive as Chuck Berry was.

He wrote his songs, recorded his songs, and sang and performed his songs. He's been playing music for people for 60 years and at his age still gets on stage and tries to do his thing. He's old now, he just collapsed on stage here in Chicago not too long ago.

Appreciate what your guitar elders have done before you, especially the ones who've dedicated their entire life to their guitar and playing songs for ungrateful people.

Every time you do a big bend, double stop, unison lick. You're tipping your hat to Chuck Berry whether you know it or not.

I'm not even that much older then you (if your posted age is true, judging by the immature nature of your post I wonder.) But I wouldn't disrespect my guitar elders like this,....ever.

Last edited by Malikon; February 25th, 2011 at 01:11 PM.
Malikon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysmo View Post
He's in his mid-80s and never was a great player. However he wrote some of the most iconic songs in Rock history.
Quite true, probably the greatest legend and biggest contributor to rock n roll . However........ he never really cared anything about the fans. He didn't bother to put together a good band that could support him and cover his weak spots He would just breeze into down, use whatever local (low cost) pickup band the promoter had scrounged up for him, stuff his cash into his pants pocket or whatever and depart. By all accounts a very nasty piece of work.

Still, those legendary riffs provide the basis to the soundtrack of all our youths. Despise the man, but love the artist I suppose.

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Dude, lay off Chuck. At that age anyone would be havin' some problems. He is still a founder of Rock-N-Roll.

rcolesooner's Channel
rcole_sooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malikon View Post
Are you kidding me? Not a great player? Have you heard Johnny B. Goode?

What else were people doing at that exact time in music history? Chuck came out rocking and shredding when people were still trying to figure out how these 'new' electric guitars worked.

This entire thread/post is nothing but trolling for a reaction. Go practice your guitar and hope one day you're half as inventive as Chuck Berry was.

YouTube - Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode (Live 195

He wrote his songs, recorded his songs, and sang and performed his songs. He's been playing music for people for 60 years and at his age still gets on stage and tries to do his thing. He's old now, he just collapsed on stage here in Chicago not to long ago.

Appreciate what your guitar elders have done before you, especially the ones who've dedicated their entire life to their guitar and playing songs for ungrateful people.

Every time you do a big bend, double stop, unison lick. You're tipping your hat to Chuck Berry whether you know it or not.

I'm not even that much older then you (if your posted age is true, judging by the immature nature of your post I wonder.) But I wouldn't disrespect my guitar elders like this,....ever.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

I saw Chuck open for Tom Petty back in September and yeah, he was terrible. But, he's getting up there in years.
LeftyBlake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Dark Cabaret

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleGreen View Post
Quite true, probably the greatest legend and biggest contributor to rock n roll . However........ he never really cared anything about the fans. He didn't bother to put together a good band that could support him and cover his weak spots He would just breeze into down, use whatever local (low cost) pickup band the promoter had scrounged up for him, stuff his cash into his pants pocket or whatever and depart. By all accounts a very nasty piece of work.

Still, those legendary riffs provide the basis to the soundtrack of all our youths. Despise the man, but love the artist I suppose.
Did he really need a touring backup band though? It's not that hard to back up his songs and a touring backup band is expensive. He wrote and performed the songs, he should get the bulk of the money.

Besides trying to hold a band together when you're the one doing all the writing and performing is stupid hard. Egos get involved and you end up playing psychiatrist half of the time instead of just playing music.

I don't knock how he did it at all. When a guy is the frontman, guitarist, writer and singer, and "visionary" for the band, (much like Dave Mustaine in Megadeth) It's really hard to keep a band together.

I'd say what he did was pretty smart actually.

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

He didnt even write this song, but he nails it! This is easily my favorite version of this song.

Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Naw, MJ Fox taught CB everything he knew...(Didn't ya watch Back To The Future)? LOL just kiddin.

Chuck was great for what he contributed to music.

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Chuck had Johnny Johnson who he did screw over . Those two together were KILLER !
AncientAx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Oh my. I have become my parents. To the original poster. You don't know what good music is. That being said I have to find my bottle of Geritol!! Just think, these kids are going to decide what nursing home we get stuck in. Russ
russ324 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

It's good to see everyone jump in on this Icon's defense!!!! I am only 52 with carpal tunnel, & disk out of alignment, wish I could play as good or as long as the man!
RFTIII is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malikon
Besides trying to hold a band together when you're the one doing all the writing and performing is stupid hard. Egos get involved and you end up playing psychiatrist half of the time instead of just playing music.

I don't knock how he did it at all. When a guy is the frontman, guitarist, writer and singer, and "visionary" for the band, (much like Dave Mustaine in Megadeth) It's really hard to keep a band together.

I'd say what he did was pretty smart actually.
Man I'm stuck in that same rut, I play with alot of people but it's sad they all rely on me for everything, it's very frustrating. They tell me to play something and get mad when I don't. Like none of them can start anything and wait for me to play something, and then I get hated on with thick jealousy because I play guitar a little better because I've devoted tons of my time to the guitar instead of wasting my time doing drugs, wasted enough time down that road.. Then they all think they get the same cut I get when I do 99% of the work. Makes you just wanna cut ties and hit the road.
JBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet85 View Post
I just saw some live footage of Chuck and he's ancient and can hardly play **** on guitar..

he was hitting wrong notes alot and just bending the same note over and over...

maybe it's cause he's too old and can't play anymore.
Man that's sacrilege - let's see how good you are when you are that old.
And you still wouldn't be that original.

You should have your artistic license revoked

Last edited by mcmacguy; February 25th, 2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: typo
mcmacguy is offline   Reply With Quote