Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Squier Strat Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Strat Forum Hear ye, hear ye, Discussith Squier Strats herein

Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member!

The real differences between fender and squier!!!

For those who wondered what are the real differences between fender strats and squier and between MIA and MIA and between Squir CV and VM and STD go to :

http://stores.ebay.com/The-STRATosphere

And find out for yourselves.

They have all the parts for every fender and squier guitar, and i mean the original parts.
I compared a Squier CV loaded pickguard with an American Standard one and with a classic player one and I found out that:

The pots and switches are cheaper on the CV;
The shielding is way better on the CV;

After brownsing all the guitars i got the fealing that the best value fender has is the classic player series and the classic vibe series.

I compared the CV body with fender bodies and i found out that the tremolo and bridge are cheaper on the CV

I compared the CV with the VM (body) and the CV is way better finished.

CVs and its parts are made in china whereas the VM is not...

Well I think its one of the best resources to assess the quality differences between each series. And most important you can see the pricce difference between components!!!!

Last edited by Numi_v; January 22nd, 2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: aditional info
Numi_v is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Squier makes some bodies from basswood, don't think Fender does it?
Hubaxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Great site Numi V, Thank you very much for these news. I and so many here always wondered what was the difference and you just brought the light to us. Thank you.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 15th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

"CVs and its parts are made in china whereas the VM is not..."

Are you sure?
Where did you read that?

I could bet they're both manufactured in China.
I: Could be raining! A CRACK OF THUNDER. :D
herrdoktor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrdoktor View Post

Are you sure?
Where did you read that?

I believe the VMs are indonesian.

Old November 15th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

I don't need an Ebay dude to tell me what the differences are. I have a Fender American Standard Strat and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. Both great guitars for what i paid for them, but the differences are clear to those of us who own them.

And that's all I'll say about that.
mw13068 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Actually I have Am Std fender, Japan squier, Indonesian squier, Chinese squier and the main difference I think is that the quality of every non fender MIA Strat change too much from piece to piece. I found my black and chrome Indonesian Strat excellent while the Indonesian VM very poor, Chinese hello kitty better than Chinese affinity and so on. Each piece seems to have a very different quality. Sometime good sometime bad. Quite unpredictable.
esteduca is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

The-STRATosphere is a chop shop.
It pains me to see eBay sellers piecing out perfectly good guitars for profit.
DGW_Strat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGW_Strat View Post
The-STRATosphere is a chop shop.
It pains me to see eBay sellers piecing out perfectly good guitars for profit.
It is the only way you can get your money back out of them these days... After getting nothing but disappointing to downright insulting offers for my 1977 Strat I'm seriously thinking about parting it out, I think I can get 1/2 again more than what I've been offered if I sell it in pieces on eBay even after paying the seller fees.
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwarejanitor View Post
It is the only way you can get your money back out of them these days... After getting nothing but disappointing to downright insulting offers for my 1977 Strat I'm seriously thinking about parting it out, I think I can get 1/2 again more than what I've been offered if I sell it in pieces on eBay even after paying the seller fees.
The market is not their for flipping guitars right now. If you are looking for an item to try and flip for profit, guitars is not where its at right now.

Sure, you can make some quick cash parting out your strat, but if you hang on to it, it will only grow in value.

Part it out now, and in two years you'll be kicking yourself.
SX EG6 (335)
jeremy blaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy blaze View Post
The market is not their for flipping guitars right now. If you are looking for an item to try and flip for profit, guitars is not where its at right now.

Sure, you can make some quick cash parting out your strat, but if you hang on to it, it will only grow in value.

Part it out now, and in two years you'll be kicking yourself.
It might be different if I had something that was really sought after like a pre-CBS Strat but don't see any reason to believe that old non-vintage guitars like my 1977 are going to significantly beat inflation any time in the foreseeable future. The market has been basically stalled since it crashed in 2007-2008 so after 5 years I don't know what would move it. I'm kind of betting we are going to see double digit inflation rates driven by food, energy and other consumables pretty soon at the same time that we are seeing flat to deflationary forces on hard goods and long term investments like real estate and luxury items like collectibles including guitars. I've been putting away as much as I can into precious metals lately.
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2012, 02:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw13068 View Post
I don't need an Ebay dude to tell me what the differences are. I have a Fender American Standard Strat and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. Both great guitars for what i paid for them, but the differences are clear to those of us who own them.

And that's all I'll say about that.
Perfectly well said
2011 MIA Strat HSS (#1)
2009 MIM Strat
Fender Vibro Champ XD
blackstratmaple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2012, 12:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

The OP is very informative. It's good to see info like this posted. It helps better to educate yourself.
RorySquier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
New Member!

Hi All,

A Quick test... Standard VS Standard !

Here are my 2 Strats :

- Fender Squier Standard Strat LH (circa 2009) at Left.
- Fender American Standard Strat 2012 LH (acquired new 2012, Nov 8th.) at Right.

And here are 4 samples of these instruments (I hope that the links will work !) :

A guitar : Soul
R05 0026 soul A by tubelectron on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

B guitar : Soul
R05 0023 soul B by tubelectron on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

A guitar : Funk
R05 0013 funk A by tubelectron on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

B guitar : Funk
R05 0010 funk B by tubelectron on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

- Same settings and quasi-same setup for the 2 guitars (all factory stock, with the exception of the Aged Pearl pickguard plate of the Squier).
- Amplifier : Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface (the one on the 1st picture at left).

According to your ears and knowledge, please let me know between these 2 strats :

- Which one is the guitar playing the samples A ?

- Which one is the guitar playing the samples B ?

Thanks & A+!

EDIT = Headphone recommended...
tubelectron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2012, 04:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Nice post tubelectron, i will listen to the samples when they free me from the prison they call job
Donald77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2012, 05:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

A Strat is a Strat is a Strat. Doesn't matter where its made, its down to how well was it built. There is no reason to believe that they can only be built well in the USA.

Try comparing the CV 50's to the CS 50's and see how much difference there is.

As for the samples, not much there, but I prefer guitar A. Doesn't bother me where it is from. ;-)
Ausquier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausquier
A Strat is a Strat is a Strat. Doesn't matter where its made, its down to how well was it built. There is no reason to believe that they can only be built well in the USA.

Try comparing the CV 50's to the CS 50's and see how much difference there is.

As for the samples, not much there, but I prefer guitar A. Doesn't bother me where it is from. ;-)
Agreed! If the Squier CV builders were given free reign to use more expensive parts and allowed a bit more time for finishing (paid a bit more too), they would rival US built. In reality though, if you put put a Squier decal on a US master built (inc the made in China decals), it still wouldn't be good enough for some.

I also prefer guitar A, but there's not much in it.
Rockape is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrdoktor View Post

Are you sure?
Where did you read that?

VM`s are Made in Indonesia. Some Fender models too.
savofenno is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

A=Squier, B=Fender MIA
savofenno is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
New Member!

Hi savofenno & All,

the answer is A = USA, B = Squier.

Nobody would be able to make the real difference, in fact... Only the Mojo blames the Squiers !

The only difference I make today is that the US std 2012 stays in tune while using its tremolo, and the Squier Std 2009 doesn't.

After polishing the nut slots to 10-52, I discovered that the lack of tuning stability is tied to saddles of the Squier : they're made from die-cast aluminium alloy while the US has pressed-steel saddles.

These aluminium saddles are "friction-full", not friction-less, even if fine-polished, because the lack of hardness let them being deeply marked very quickly by every strings, causing binding and slack storage. Lubrication doesn't eradicates the problem.

Nothing like that with the pressed-steel on the US Std, so I will shift to pressed-steel saddles on the Squier, as this is the only obvious difference between the 2 tremolos...

A+!
tubelectron is offline   Reply With Quote