Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Squier Strat Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Strat Forum Hear ye, hear ye, Discussith Squier Strats herein

Old March 11th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member!

How to identify a Squier Model?

Is there any easy way to identify the different Squier models? Are serial numbers cross-referenced or anything?

(Is there is already a thread about this somewhere?)

Would like to know what I've got. (MN575470)

Mine came with a Fender hardshell case. Did they all?

Thanks.

verbster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

[quote="verbster"]Is there any easy way to identify the different Squier models? Are serial numbers cross-referenced or anything?

Thanks.[/QUOT

I didn't think the squires came with hard shell cases
zbbfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
But I digress

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbster View Post
Is there any easy way to identify the different Squier models? Are serial numbers cross-referenced or anything?

Thanks.
MN5 is Mexico (M) Ninety (N) 5

It's a 1995 MIM Squier. Does it say Fender in large black text and Squier Series in smaller black text on the ball or does it say Squier in gold text where the name normally goes?
"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course... the computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to end". --Douglas Adams
madmat is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 11th, 2012, 11:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmat View Post
MN5 is Mexico (M) Ninety (N) 5

It's a 1995 MIM Squier. Does it say Fender in large black text and Squier Series in smaller black text on the ball or does it say Squier in gold text where the name normally goes?
This is correct... it is a Mexican "Squier by Fender" (if Squier is the big name in the decal) or "Fender Squier Series" (if Fender is the big name in the decal). They are actually very similar in quality, with the Fender labeled guitar being only very slightly better in quality (slightly more select wood, and usually marginally better fit and finish, but basically the same cheaper grade of hardware, pickups and electronics). They are both cheapened versions of the MIM Standard... less select wood with more pieces in it usually, and as I said, cheaper parts. Values are typically in the $75-$125 range for a Squier, and maybe $100 up to $150 for a nice Fender labeled one. Watch out for people with the "Squier Series" part of the logo sanded off trying to pass off these lesser models as an MIM Fender Standard. And given that MIM Fender Standards are selling in the $150-$250 range these days DO NOT pay too much for one of the lesser models, a "real" Fender is always going to be worth more at resale.

These did not normally come with a case, and if its in good condition it may be worth an additional $25-$50, especially since its a Fender branded case.

These prices are based on the Austin, TX area... from my understanding prices up in Alaska are often slightly higher (high shipping costs for goods up there, less competition, etc), so if you paid $25 more here and there, you may not have done too bad up there.
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member!

Thanks for the background information. However, how is the model determined? Are there any markings, design features or other ways to tell a Bullet from an Affinity or other models. I was hoping the serial # would track not only the date of production, but also the model. How do retailers tell them apart?

"Fender" is large on the tuning head; "Stratocaster" is the next largest, and 'Squier" is fairly small.

Somewhere, I read that the more expensive models came with a hardshell case, but Im not sure if that's true.

Old March 12th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
But I digress

It's a Fender Squier Series. They haven't come with cases, some came with gig bags back in the 90's but not cases. The MIM Standards didn't even come with cases.

If it had a hardshell case with it, a previous owner bought it.
"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course... the computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to end". --Douglas Adams

Old March 13th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member!

Okay, thanks for clearing up the case question. I understand better after reading Madmat's post and re-reading softwarejanitor's post. But that leads me to the next question: In the research I've been doing about the MIM Squire Series, I've been seeing stories about many Standard MIM Strat parts being the same as the Squier Series (up to a certain year), particularly, the body and neck. Read that some of the electronics were inferior, but Standard parts would fit exactly.

I just finished reading more at the Fender Forum (MIM Squire Series), and they tend to agree. One guy compared and swapped parts between his Standard and Squier (both 1995); while some parts were different and not as good, they supposedly all fit. Even said the wood in the bodies were both solid Poplar and identical.

This seems on the level. Is it?

Old March 14th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
But I digress

It's the same guitar as a MIM Standard but with downgraded hardware. The bridge saddles were cast and plated zinc, the pickups were the same pickups as Asian Squiers on some, some had the dual magnet ceramics as the Standard but had the same spacing as the Asian version. Then there's the tuners, the STD has sealed precision tuners (just like they do now) while the Squiers had crappy trapezoids.

They're great guitars. My number one is a '98 MIM Squier. I love it.

Old March 14th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmat View Post
It's a Fender Squier Series. They haven't come with cases, some came with gig bags back in the 90's but not cases. The MIM Standards didn't even come with cases.

If it had a hardshell case with it, a previous owner bought it.
Careful.

There is a Squier branded guitar with both Fender and Squier labels. This is a Squier guitar. There is also a Squier series, which is a mim Fender guitar and the "squier series" is in very small letters on the ball of the headstock instead of "original contour body". Now, they are the same guitar parts wise, but there were different marketing identies. The transition was in 96, I believe. The Fender MIM "squier series" was a 96, 97 only and carried a black lettered Fender name. For these years, there was also a "traditional stratocaster" which had the black Fender lettering with nothing on the ball of the headstock. In like manner, before 96, the guitar was a Squier Traditional stratocaster guitar.

There was also a Squier branded hard case. It was pretty cheaply made (big surprise, right?). I had one and when you carried it with a guitar inside, you could see the case actually deflecting as you carried it. It had sort of a carbonfiber look to it but was a cheap semi-hard plastic. It made a cheap roadrunner case look like an SKB by comparison.

The Traditional and Squier series MIM guitars also have a legend of having US made necks. I would not doubt that. The traditional that I had was fitted with THE nicest neck I have ever played on any strat. They did have cheapo hardware (trapazoidal tuners, tiny block) and icepick squier pickups. It has a poplar body which is light and typically a small number of pieces. I would argue that it's nicer than present day million toothpick bodys. Absolutely great modding platform and especially if it says "squier line", you can buy these cheap. $120-$140 is not uncommon compared with a mim standard for more like $200- $250.

Old March 14th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
But I digress

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbster View Post
Thanks for the background information. However, how is the model determined? Are there any markings, design features or other ways to tell a Bullet from an Affinity or other models. I was hoping the serial # would track not only the date of production, but also the model. How do retailers tell them apart?

"Fender" is large on the tuning head; "Stratocaster" is the next largest, and 'Squier" is fairly small.

Somewhere, I read that the more expensive models came with a hardshell case, but Im not sure if that's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack FFR1846 View Post
Careful.

There is a Squier branded guitar with both Fender and Squier labels. This is a Squier guitar. There is also a Squier series, which is a mim Fender guitar and the "squier series" is in very small letters on the ball of the headstock instead of "original contour body". Now, they are the same guitar parts wise, but there were different marketing identies. The transition was in 96, I believe. The Fender MIM "squier series" was a 96, 97 only and carried a black lettered Fender name. For these years, there was also a "traditional stratocaster" which had the black Fender lettering with nothing on the ball of the headstock. In like manner, before 96, the guitar was a Squier Traditional stratocaster guitar.

There was also a Squier branded hard case. It was pretty cheaply made (big surprise, right?). I had one and when you carried it with a guitar inside, you could see the case actually deflecting as you carried it. It had sort of a carbonfiber look to it but was a cheap semi-hard plastic. It made a cheap roadrunner case look like an SKB by comparison.

The Traditional and Squier series MIM guitars also have a legend of having US made necks. I would not doubt that. The traditional that I had was fitted with THE nicest neck I have ever played on any strat. They did have cheapo hardware (trapazoidal tuners, tiny block) and icepick squier pickups. It has a poplar body which is light and typically a small number of pieces. I would argue that it's nicer than present day million toothpick bodys. Absolutely great modding platform and especially if it says "squier line", you can buy these cheap. $120-$140 is not uncommon compared with a mim standard for more like $200- $250.

Careful? All the Squier Series MIM's I've seen are as the OP describes. Big Fender followed by the word Stratocaster and small Squier after that. I've got a Squier (gold label, tiny "BY FENDER" under it) I haven't seen the other Squier you're talking about. Got any pics?

FWIW, he said it came with a Fender HSC. That would be a purchased case. I've only been buying Squiers since the mid '90's (with a 10 year hiatus from '99 to '09) and I haven't seen any with cases. What came about during the time I was out of the game I cannot say.

Old March 14th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Gentlemen...

Send a message via Skype™ to Polarbear
Aren't the bodies thinner than the Fender ones?

"Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward"
Polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
But I digress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
Aren't the bodies thinner than the Fender ones?
1.75" just like my Blacktop was and like my MIM FR STD is. IMO it's got a better neck than the STD, more figure to it and a bit more comfortable.