Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Squier Strat Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Strat Forum Hear ye, hear ye, Discussith Squier Strats herein

Old March 26th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

New bullet

Got a new bullet for modding. I'd like to replace the bridge, or at least the saddles. I don't think the MIM replacement bridge will fit the bullet's thin body - anybody know of a good drop in replacement bridge? If not, what would be good replacement saddles that would fit the bridge that comes on the bullets?

Thanks!

Mind Flayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

They can be ordered fro GFS, for not too much money, ask for a MIM size or Import size, get the steel block while you're at it. My Bullet is still stock, and frankley, I like the way it sounds now. ....................poppa
MrPoppa2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 03:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Gentlemen...

Send a message via Skype™ to Polarbear
I heard that Callaham bridges are pretty good.

"Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward"
Polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 27th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I believe that the MIM bridge will drop right in. The only thing you may have to change is the trem bar (if you use it). I have used several MIM Fender Bridge setups in many Squiers over the years and they always fit fine. Just make sure that you have the same setup as far as 6point or 2point and you will be fine.

Old March 27th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

You have a few options really. The MIM and steel block from GFS, wilkinson 2 post fits all trem, or the saddles GFS has as mentioned also. If you're going for modern try the wilkinson. If you're going vintage yet modified go MIM. But DON'T forget the block as also mentioned!! I can't wait to get mine in the mail. I hate this effin pot metal! I just ordered the MIM bridge for mine as well... Kinda wish I would have went for the wilkinson but oh we'll... Buy the wilkinson and well swap haha! :D

Old March 28th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Flayer View Post
Got a new bullet for modding. I'd like to replace the bridge, or at least the saddles. I don't think the MIM replacement bridge will fit the bullet's thin body - anybody know of a good drop in replacement bridge? If not, what would be good replacement saddles that would fit the bridge that comes on the bullets?

Thanks!
The MIM/Import upgrade trems will usually fit in a Bullet w/trem body even though they are usually only 1-5/8" thickness instead of the standard Fender 1-3/4" thickness... WITH the caveat that the back trem cover plate will not fit. If you leave that off, and it normally doesnt affect playability, then you can use a full size block.
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwarejanitor View Post
The MIM/Import upgrade trems will usually fit in a Bullet w/trem body even though they are usually only 1-5/8" thickness instead of the standard Fender 1-3/4" thickness... WITH the caveat that the back trem cover plate will not fit. If you leave that off, and it normally doesnt affect playability, then you can use a full size block.
I dropped a MIM trem into my Bullet with no modifications required. All six screw holes lined up perfectly.

I did not get the "high mass" version, and I was able to screw the back cover back on. The springs, however, do contact the back cover. I don't use the trem, so I don't have a problem with that, YMMV.
sfcmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcmark View Post
I dropped a MIM trem into my Bullet with no modifications required. All six screw holes lined up perfectly.

I did not get the "high mass" version, and I was able to screw the back cover back on. The springs, however, do contact the back cover. I don't use the trem, so I don't have a problem with that, YMMV.
Yeah, I noticed that the newer Fender MIM bridge/trem replacements that are coming in to the local guitar stores are all the thinner block. I dont get why they would do that when the MIM strats now (and have for some time) come with the full sized blocks. I bought my MIM bridge/trem replacement a few months ago and I was actually able to snag the last full size block that my local store had. That setup is a hell of a deal though. I paid $13.99 for a 6 point bridge plate, full size block (pot metal but non the less full size), and the Fender stamped bent steel saddles. If you were to just order the saddles by themselves you would pay more than that. I was very impressed. Even though the block is pot metal, it was still a nice upgrade to the thin block that came in my Squier strat.

Old March 28th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
Yeah, I noticed that the newer Fender MIM bridge/trem replacements that are coming in to the local guitar stores are all the thinner block. I dont get why they would do that when the MIM strats now (and have for some time) come with the full sized blocks. I bought my MIM bridge/trem replacement a few months ago and I was actually able to snag the last full size block that my local store had. That setup is a hell of a deal though. I paid $13.99 for a 6 point bridge plate, full size block (pot metal but non the less full size), and the Fender stamped bent steel saddles. If you were to just order the saddles by themselves you would pay more than that. I was very impressed. Even though the block is pot metal, it was still a nice upgrade to the thin block that came in my Squier strat.
And even though it's a thin block, it's still beefier than the one original to the Bullet...it's also 4.5mm longer, hence the spring/cover interference. I noticed a long time ago that you can buy a complete bridge for less than the set of saddles. You can also get the bridge with the high mass block dirt cheap on Amazon (a little more than you paid though once shipping is added).

Old March 28th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

What about floating the block some? I know some people are all about decked trems but if you float it a bit will it clear?

Old March 28th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
What about floating the block some? I know some people are all about decked trems but if you float it a bit will it clear?
I doubt you could float it quite enough to get zero interference, but you could probably take just enough off the block with a few file strokes and some sandpaper without butchering it.

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Here's the problem. I have a MIM import strat upgrade trem & block from guitar fetish - this one:

"Made in Mexico" Import Strat UPGRADE trem- Solid STEEL block

The trem looks like it will fit fine, but the block is too long - I haven't installed it yet, but just holding it next to the body it is clear that it will stick out of the back cavity. Interestingly, I have a 2010 bullet that it looks like it will fit, but the 2012 bullet has a thinner body than the 2010 (I wasn't aware that this year's bullets are thinner).

Are there any other replacement bridge options that don't have such a long block?

Old March 29th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Flayer
Here's the problem. I have a MIM import strat upgrade trem & block from guitar fetish - this one:

"Made in Mexico" Import Strat UPGRADE trem- Solid STEEL block

The trem looks like it will fit fine, but the block is too long - I haven't installed it yet, but just holding it next to the body it is clear that it will stick out of the back cavity. Interestingly, I have a 2010 bullet that it looks like it will fit, but the 2012 bullet has a thinner body than the 2010 (I wasn't aware that this year's bullets are thinner).

Are there any other replacement bridge options that don't have such a long block?
I'm having that exact problem with my affinity right now... Not having another guitar to put it in here's my idea. Look real close and see If I can't take an 1/8" off the bottom of the block to clear. I don't have a back plate but I'm worried about treming out when I don't wanna. My other idea is to just float the bridge and see if it'll clear. But I'm having that problem and needing to file the routing out a bit to fit the block also.

Old March 29th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcmark

I doubt you could float it quite enough to get zero interference, but you could probably take just enough off the block with a few file strokes and some sandpaper without butchering it.
I guess I could have read you post before replying! I'll try that!! It only looks a few file strokes off.

Last edited by Ruckus; March 29th, 2012 at 07:43 PM.
Ruckus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Here's another question - I could just as easily switch out the saddles for some better quality ones and leave in the current block. Does the block itself make any real difference in anything? I never use the tremolo bar, so I block it and deck it. If the block makes no difference, I'll just replace the saddles and leave it at that.

Old March 30th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

The COB serial #, and the COS serial #'s are both thicker than the new run of Bullets, mine is a COB model and everything fits in it with no clearance problems. Also, Ive heard that the best thing to do is to grind some metal off the end of the bock using a bench grinder, that should let the block clear the cover, and still be able to restring and put the springs back on, I'm a fan of bench grinders!...a great Strat tool....Ha!
......poppa
MrPoppa2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Got mine in a couple days ago. Definitely a space and like mentioned <shamefully looking to the ground> floating it wouldn't do a thing! So don't bother... I just decked it, 4 springs (5 was one too many) and left the black plate off. Played like crazy the past few days and doesn't stick out too far to do any damage to sound so I'm leaving it, fill the screw holes in and overdrive it like I stole it (see what I did right there? The pun? Nice....) anyway just thought I'd share my experience with your block issue.
Attached Thumbnails
New bullet-image-2909121030.jpg