Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Squier Strat Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Strat Forum Hear ye, hear ye, Discussith Squier Strats herein

Old August 10th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member!

mexican squier

mexican squier's any good? got chance to purchase one for $100.00 w/roland micro cube

tokkypo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

There are surely those more knowledable than me here, but I wasn't aware that and Squiers were actually made in Mexico.

Old August 10th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

a c note sounds like a good deal for one to me
kurdt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 11th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
LeftyStrategist

Helz yea, great deal ~!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokkypo View Post
mexican squier's any good? got chance to purchase one for $100.00 w/roland micro cube

Old August 11th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Apparently the MIM squiers were made like a std MIM strat with some cheaper parts, like the tuners. You can go to Ebay and look for the "strat buyers Guide" - two parts and one of them has some information on the MIM squiers.

$100 is a great deal for the gtr and the amp, I think. Excellent score.

Randy
66musicmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
LeftyStrategist

Review link of a cut article I got from back in the day comparing strats under $500 US (review says plywood, this seems to be wrong as they were poplar)
http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/atta...e-dsc02400.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66musicmaster View Post
Apparently the MIM squiers were made like a std MIM strat with some cheaper parts, like the tuners. You can go to Ebay and look for the "strat buyers Guide" - two parts and one of them has some information on the MIM squiers.

$100 is a great deal for the gtr and the amp, I think. Excellent score.

Randy

Old August 12th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I finally found it, just in case anyone is interested. From what I've seen the tuners are the dead giveaway, of they haven't been changed. The cheapo Squier tuners. Also lots of good information on Strats on the article.

From here (eBay

Between 1994-1996, there were some Mexican Standard Strats made that were called 'Squier Series'. These are not to be confused with the Squier Stratocaster model line! Although very similar to real Mexican Standard Strats, there are some subtle differences. These models were made using the same bodies and necks as the Mexican Standard version but they used the cheaper Squier hardware (tuners and bridges). The single-coil ceramic pickups appear to be the same as the Mexican Standards though. These guitars have a small 'Squier Series' decal on the ball of the headstock, right in the front. Many, if not most, previous owners have found a way to remove this decal but there are still many easily identifiable traits. The easist way to tell is by looking at the 'Fender' logo decal on the front of the headstock. The following pictures show the standard 'Fender' logo decal. Notice how it is a gold-ish or silver-ish color with a dark outline.

http://i20.ebayimg.com/06/s/08/16/d2...19/6a/47_2.JPG

Now here is a picture (below) of the 'Squier Series' headstock. This one happens to have the 'Squier Series' decal but also notice how the entire 'Fender' decal is darkened in.

http://i11.ebayimg.com/03/s/08/19/5a/42_2.JPG

I am convinced many sellers don't even know this themselves as they probably bought the guitar used with the decal already removed. All you have to do is compare it to a real Mexican Standard and you will notice the different bridge and tuning machines. Actually the bridges, although considered slightly inferior, are pretty good. The 'Squier Series' are certainly not bad guitars and would probably fall between a genuine Mexican Standard and a Squier Standard. I actually own one of these and like it very much. In fact I kept it over another genuine MIM Standard and am in the process of upgrading the pickups and tuners. These should not command quite the same price as the genuine Mexican Standard due to the cheaper hardware, but when new I don't think there was a very big price difference. To clarify, when I say 'cheaper hardware' I do not mean bad......I just mean not quite as good. Look for good ones under $200, but if you're patient you can sometimes grab these for between $110-$150! For that price these are a huge bargain in my opinion. (NOTE: There were some 'Squier Series' made in Korea in the '90's also but there is virtually no information about them. They do not have the darkened in 'Fender' logo but do have the 'Squier Series' decal. They say 'Made in Korea' on the front of the headstock. These are not the same quality as the Mexican made 'Squier Series' guitars due to lower quality bodies and necks!)
66musicmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
LeftyStrategist

Cool man, yea they are nice guitars, but have the smallest fret-wire, it's important to note for those not wanting that ...

Old August 13th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I got a Mexican "Squier Series" Tele neck on eBay awhile back for a partscaster. When I saw the black logo I thought it was a fake decal, so sanded it off. I didn't find out what it was until a few months later. The seller did represent it as a Squier neck, so I didn't have a problem with it.

Great neck, by the way. It plays better than my "genuine" Fender neck.
Teleblooz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2009, 01:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Many, if not most, previous owners have found a way to remove this decal but there are still many easily identifiable traits. The easist way to tell is by looking at the 'Fender' logo decal on the front of the headstock.
The easiest way to ID them is that they use the Fender Mexico serial number system.

Mexican Squiers
MN: M = Mexico, N = Nineties (1990s), the first number following the serial number prefix is the year.

For example

"MN8" indicates that it was made at Ensenada, Mexico in 1998.
Oldboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

as noted, it depends on the year that it was made. I have a '93 MIM Squier Strat, which has Squier and by Fender in the ball of the headstock. it's a great little guitar. so, $100.00 would be a very good buy. go for it !!!