Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Squier Strat Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Strat Forum Hear ye, hear ye, Discussith Squier Strats herein

Old August 11th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

stratocaster clones

i have a squire affinity strat that i am constantly modding, but would like another strat to mod as well. other than squires what are some other good strat copies. starcaster guitars any good?

Old August 12th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

Starcasters are very inconsistent in quality. I've seen some that weren't too bad, similar in fit and finish quality to say, a Squier Affinity... and others that were complete crap, unplayable and some that had issues that wouldn't be easy to fix. You definitely have to look very carefully at one before you buy it. Pay particular attention to intonation, because I've seen some that either the neck pocket wasn't cut correctly or the trem was installed wrong or something because they couldn't be correctly intonated.
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2012, 02:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Axl makes a great s-style guitar. Formerly known as Johnson, they are made overseas but setup when they reach distribution in the states. I've seen these used for $100 on average and they have matched any Squier I've played in quality.
firebrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 12th, 2012, 04:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I feel I'm astounding a bit fan boyish but depending on budget id check out ESP/LTD st203 series. For that vintage style guitar get the st203, it´s 3 singlecoild and a vintage trem. For that rocking 80´s balls to the wall metal playing, get the st203fr, amazing neck witch can compare to ibanez in playability, a floyd rose copy that´s supported by floyd rose themselves(that works really really well and holds tune).

Body is alder and neck is maple.

Butt ugly reliced guitars, and half bad pickups. But a great quality base to tweak on. I feel that good setup and pickup swap is all you need to have fender make a run for their money. Except in the finish and status department.
AcesHigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

thank you for your comments. i have a squire affinity strat and i absolutely love it! new saddles, solid brass trem block, kluson vintage tuners ect...

Old August 12th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

You should hunt down and buy a Squier SE Strat, out of the Strat Pack! They are full size (1 3/4 in.) Fender bodys the look and feel is all Fender on these, and they will take on any electronics mod that you may have in mind. I have purchased 2 SE's at pawn shops, they are always cheap ($50.00) or so, since they came out of a Strat Pack, the pawn shops don't know what price they should be...Ha.Ha...we win! These Strats are made to mod, come in Sun burst, Black and Olympic White , and have 3 ply P/G's They do not say Affinity or Bullet o9n the headstock, they are different than either one.

...........poppa
MrPoppa2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I have a SE for sale. Interested? PM me.
SethStratMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

not quite yet i think. but it is an interesting prospect

Old August 13th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

im heading over to vancouver island in a couple days and i know for a fact that there is a pawnshop there that has an arrowhead starcaster. but i've never played it. are they any good?

Old August 13th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokkbert
im heading over to vancouver island in a couple days and i know for a fact that there is a pawnshop there that has an arrowhead starcaster. but i've never played it. are they any good?
I'm in line to board the ferry to Nanaimo right now. Where's this pawn shop?? Any other good music stores on the island?
thecableguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

the pawn shop is called money max. there's a long and mcquade directly above it too which is clever . other pawn shops are everywhere in nanimo, but i dont know their names off by heart

Old August 13th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Cool. Might have to check em out. Still waiting to get on the damn ferry!
thecableguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

haha. yeh those wait lines suck. but not quite as much as those prices. im leaving on wednesday

Old August 14th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I would buy Seth's SE over an arrowhead Starcaster any day.

Old August 15th, 2012, 05:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

The SE Squier is a good base for modding with its' full thickness body, HHH routs and excellent neck. Mine is on this forum under "Help what is it?". It cost me £10 which,I think, was a bit of a bargain. I've included a couple of before and after pictures. The original electrics have been replaced with new switch, full sized pots, orange drop tone capacitor, and Tonerider Pure Vintage pickups.
Attached Thumbnails
stratocaster clones-blacksquier-proj1.jpg  stratocaster clones-blacksquier-newbody.jpg  
Henrytwang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Looking good, how do you like the Toneriders?
dynosaur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2012, 03:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosaur View Post
Looking good, how do you like the Toneriders?
Thanx. The Toneriders sound VERY much like Fender Custom Shop 57/62s' but cost half the price. I'm just starting work on another partscaster and have ordered a set of Ironstone "Gold" Strat-style alnico pickups, (UK Ebay), these are really cheap, (£2, but I've read great reviews.

Last edited by Henrytwang; August 16th, 2012 at 01:39 PM.
Henrytwang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrytwang
The SE Squier is a good base for modding with its' full thickness body, HHH routs and excellent neck. Mine is on this forum under "Help what is it?". It cost me £10 which,I think, was a bit of a bargain. I've included a couple of before and after pictures. The original electrics have been replaced with new switch, full sized pots, orange drop tone capacitor, and Tonerider Pure Vintage pickups.
Really looks nice now! I'm sure those pickups sound great. Good job!
Dr Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

don't think i'm gonna buy another strat just yet i think. got too many projects already (making a danelectro from scratch, neck and everything). i may attempt a partscaster project in the future though...

Old August 19th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrytwang View Post
The SE Squier is a good base for modding with its' full thickness body, HHH routs and excellent neck. ...
Full thickness body and good neck yes... HHH routes? Not so much on the SEs I've had apart. They are usually HSH and the neck route is often a little smallish for putting a H in there... so it is safest to assume HSS.

FWIW, HHH normally ends up being basically "bath tub".
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote