Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Squier Strat Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Strat Forum Hear ye, hear ye, Discussith Squier Strats herein

Old October 11th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

2008 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster

I just received a 2008 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster that I won on an ebay bid and it is stellar!

The serial number is CGS080400062. The wood grain is tight, the frets are smooth and in great shape, the neck feels really good and seems just a bit thicker than the recent examples I've played in stores. The neck also has some great maple flame in its grain. It is the most solid feeling Squier I have ever played.

Is it a general consensus that when they were introducing this line that they were building guitars that rival a Fender? I think this one plays better, looks better and is built better than my previous 1980's E Series MIJ Fender Stratocaster. I'm excited to plug it in!

Last edited by BuddyHollywood; October 11th, 2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Picture was not showing.
BuddyHollywood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

where are the pics? lol

congrats on the new guitar

In my years of playing and buying guitars, I've noticed an odd pattern. It does seem that when Fender releases a new model/series of guitars the initial run seems to get the best reviews. It could be a conspiracy or just the honeymoon factor/excitement of the first owners.
stratdragon92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Oh, man...I can't see the pictures either. Bummer.

I'm witholding congratulations until I see some photos ;)

Name:  teasing-hurts.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  22.2 KB
Syzygy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 11th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Pic's , or wer'e not sure if its real!
...poppa
MrPoppa2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

They are just really great Strats! I believe they are still making them that way. Both of mine are much newer and are Saweet!

Have fun...
Dr Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Fixed it for yoU!

Old October 12th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Nice! That's good looking one.
Dr Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Now congratulations are in order! Enjoy!
Syzygy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

That is just pure class.
stratdragon92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

See, that wasn't so hard! Thats a stellar looking Strat, congrats, and by the way...I want one too! ...........poppa
MrPoppa2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for the compliments and thanks for fixing the picture. I'm not sure why it wasn't working. I tried editing it and it still didn't work.

I'm loving this guitar. I'm contemplating upgrades to the bridge, pots and switch because this guitar deserves it. I just set up and intonated a Fender Mexican Strat for a friend and this guitar feels just as solid as that one. I figured if I ever have to sell it one day (NO!) that whoever would buy it would be happy with these upgrades under the hood. One thing I'm pretty sure of is the pickups are staying! I am really happy with the tone these Alnico 3 pickups deliver. I heard these pickups were good but I wasn't expecting them to be as good as they are.

There is a mod I learned from X guitar player Billy Zoom on another forum and I'm curious to try it but I'm not sure if I should do it with this guitar. He said it's a mod the players from the original Strat days would do so they could have the bridge and neck pickups on at the same time like a Telecaster. They would add a 3 way switch to control the bridge and neck pickups and turn the first tone knob into a volume knob for the middle pickup and connect the pickup directly to the pot and then have the second tone knob be the master tone for the whole guitar. If I did this it would also allow me to blend the middle pickup in any position and also have the middle pickup on by itself by controlling the second volume. This is cool because on these Strats the middle pickup is reverse wound. Another option is to get a Fender Super Switch and turn the middle position into the bridge and neck on together but then I would lose the ability to have the middle pickup on by itself.

I already have a Fender 5 way standard switch and as of today I'm thinking of keeping it a stock Strat. It's fun to consider the options though.
BuddyHollywood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

You could add a small two way toggle switch to turn the neck pickup on in all positions of the regular 5 way switch. It's really easy to wire it up, and you get all of your regular strat sounds, plus a couple new ones.

Or, you could simply swap the hot wires of the neck and middle pickups on the 5 way switch. This would put the neck pickup in position three, and the middle pickup in position 5(all the way up). You lose the bridge/middle combo, but you gain the neck/bridge combo. I always found the neck/bridge combo much more useful than the bridge/middle combo.
hardtail01 is offline   Reply With Quote