Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Squier Strat Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Squier Strat Forum Hear ye, hear ye, Discussith Squier Strats herein

Old October 29th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Replacement for Squier 2-point bridge?

I'm thinking of buying a Squier Standard and I was wondering if there are any 2-point bridges that slap right on? Will an American 2-point fit or is their spacing different? If not I may just fill the posts and drill new holes for a vintage spaced 6-point. Here is the guitar in Question

1962 Epiphone Sheraton 50th anniversary
Yogi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Actually, the Squier two point trem is a really nice one IMHO. You can easily set it up to "float" too, which is harder to do with a vintage 6 screw trem. You can get plenty of sustain out of them too, as long as the guitar is set up well, the neck screws are tight, the trem block screws are tight, and there's plenty of wood-to-wood contact between the neck and the neck pocket.

Out of curiosity, why are you thinking of changing out the two-point trem?

Old October 29th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Klash View Post
Actually, the Squier two point trem is a really nice one IMHO. You can easily set it up to "float" too, which is harder to do with a vintage 6 screw trem. You can get plenty of sustain out of them too, as long as the guitar is set up well, and the neck screws are tight and there's plenty of wood-to-wood contact between the neck and the neck pocket.

Out of curiosity, why are you thinking of changing out the two-point trem?
Well I really wanted a bigger block and Fender logo saddles I guess, than changing out the trem. I guess I want to mod for mod's sake lol. It also had been bothering me because I hadn't even seen anyone talk much about the Squier 2 point.I'm really digging the 70s mocha/black combination. I haven't played the guitar but for $119 it seems like a good deal

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 29th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
Well I really wanted a bigger block and Fender logo saddles I guess, than changing out the trem. I guess I want to mod for mod's sake lol. It also had been bothering me because I hadn't even seen anyone talk much about the Squier 2 point.I'm really digging the 70s mocha/black combination. I haven't played the guitar but for $119 it seems like a good deal
$119 is a great deal IMHO.

Here's a partscaster based on one that I just finished last Friday - played it at a gig Saturday night and she played and sounded great.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement for Squier 2-point bridge?-loretta_body_frontside_1.jpg  

Old October 29th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

what trem is that kid?
motoman45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

That's a slightly tricked out Squier Special Edition Strat two point trem, set up to "float". I think it was identical to the Squier Standard two point trem.

Old October 29th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I have the same bridge on my Squier Deluxe, and I agree it's a great tremolo. It has a wider range of adjustability than a vintage bridge because the front of the base plate can be raised off the body, not just the rear of the plate. It also pivots on the two studs instead of six screws, which gives you less friction and better tuning stability. Those block saddles are tone killers, though, as Fender admits to figuring out when they were designing the new American Standard.

You can have the two-point bridge with the Fender stamped saddles and a bigger block very easily. Just get a 2006 or newer MIM trem assembly. They're all over the place and fairly inexpensive. Then bolt the block and the saddles to the stock Squier base plate. The holes will be very slightly off, but will line up pretty well if you screw in the trem arm as a guide before you tighten the three screws holding the block to the base plate. The saddles will fit perfectly. What you'll end up with is a correctly-spaced all-Fender copy of a Classic Player/American Standard bridge. I did this mod to my Deluxe, and it's a much better-sounding guitar as a result! It's much clearer and more lively with plenty of sustain. Go for the Standard and try this on it. I think you'll be happy with the results!

GordonRules24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Ok thanks, that's what I needed the know. So the Squier 2-point is import spaced, cool

Old July 28th, 2014, 12:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonRules24 View Post

You can have the two-point bridge with the Fender stamped saddles and a bigger block very easily. Just get a 2006 or newer MIM trem assembly. They're all over the place and fairly inexpensive. Then bolt the block and the saddles to the stock Squier base plate. The holes will be very slightly off, but will line up pretty well if you screw in the trem arm as a guide before you tighten the three screws holding the block to the base plate. The saddles will fit perfectly. What you'll end up with is a correctly-spaced all-Fender copy of a Classic Player/American Standard bridge.

I'm really sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I just want to MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE, can I use a new MIM bridge block and saddles on my 03' Squier Standard bridge? I'd be using the existing 2-Point base plate. It just seems odd that this method works, because why then would GfS offer two different bridge blocks if they both fit?
dusterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2014, 05:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

They offer 2 types due to the mounting position of the trem arm..

I have a Squier Deluxe and I tried to install an import spaced full brass GFS block I had laying around..

It went right on with no issue but then I realized only half the trem arm hole was visible..

They sell one where the hole is lined up correctly as well..

That said, I don't know for sure if the new MIMs have the hole located in the correct spot..

Old July 28th, 2014, 05:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

One must order the one with the hole off set from the mounting holes.