Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Squier Strat Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Strat Forum Hear ye, hear ye, Discussith Squier Strats herein

Old May 13th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mustang_steve
Mighty Mite pickguard assy question

I'm looking at going to rail pickups and I saw a pretty nice Mighty Mite pre-wired online.

I saw some of you guys are running Mighty Mite pickguards, so before I pull the trigger I'm wondering if these fit the Asian Strats as is, or if there is any redrilling needed?

Thanks.

Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Since there was no answer, I'll answer it now that I've installed it last night.

It fits just fine. ll I had to do was remove one extra ground cable from the assembly (the one with the ring connector on it). Once that was done the wiring was identical to the stock pickguard assy on my strat.

Only thing to keep in mind is the output jack leads are pretty short compared to stock wiring, so you will more than likely have to solder on top of your guitar. I solved that by screwing the jack plate upside down into the top screwhole and pressing the jack plate onto my bridge...this kept it stable enough to get enough pressure to get desoldering wick to function perfectly, as well as to easily solder the new leads on.

Old August 16th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Thanks for the info, mustang_steve, I think I'm going to get one of those Mighty Mite P/G assemblies for my epiphone strat, they're very economical.
epistrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 17th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

You will want to make sure the screw patterns line up, unless you don't mind drilling some new pilot holes that is.

My "Asian Strat" was a Fender Starcaster (aka Targetcaster)....it's really a very low-end Squier, but has some parts that are directly interchangable with either MIM or MIA strats (except the tremolo bridge...it's hard to explain, but it's hella deep compared to any normal one).

I still like the hot rails....they have a pretty aggressive sound. You might also want to check out guitarfetish.com and look at their pre-wired pickguards as well...I've heard some really good things about them too.

Actually I'm looking at pulling the trigger for a handwired setup from guitarfetish to put in my new project strat, a hybrid MIM/highway one strat....that is if I can't get a MIA loaded pickguard from ebay for the right price.

Old August 17th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I'm not going to use the pickguard, just the pickups and electronics. I'm going to transplant them to the stock pickguard (I hope I can do that), and I'm getting it from dancingdragonguitars.com, because they accept E-checks.

I don't have a credit card so I can't get anything from Guitar Fetish. They take paypal, but you have to verify your ID with a credit card (or something like that). Same thing with Ebay

I'd love to try the single coil sized hums, but Dancing Dragon just has the Might Mite single coil pickguard assemblies.

Also, I'm a neophyte as far as soldering goes, so with these assembled pickguards hopefully I'll only have to make a couple of connections.

Old August 18th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

With a pickguard assy, you only have to solder 3 leads.

The + and - on the output jack, and the ground onto your tremolo claw (or to your bridge if running a hardtail guitar)

Also consider a soldering gun...the aded heat will allow desoldering wick to work more effectively as well as make your job easier in general.

I found it's easiest to screw the output jack in with one screw so that the terminals are sticking out...this holds the thing in place while soldering.

Old August 20th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_steve View Post
With a pickguard assy, you only have to solder 3 leads.

The + and - on the output jack, and the ground onto your tremolo claw (or to your bridge if running a hardtail guitar)

Also consider a soldering gun...the aded heat will allow desoldering wick to work more effectively as well as make your job easier in general.

I found it's easiest to screw the output jack in with one screw so that the terminals are sticking out...this holds the thing in place while soldering.
I bought a soldering gun because it seemed to have everything I needed. The gun itself, solder, 3 soldering tips and instructions. Then I read here that you should never use a soldering gun for electric parts.

I bought a new tremolo for a Squier that I have that had a very crappy stock tremolo, and as well as upgrading the trem on it, I put in the new spring claw that came with the tremolo. That meant unsoldering the ground wire from the old spring claw, and soldering it to the new one.

I think I need to do a better job, but i think I need some solder wick, which I don't have right now. I ordered some from Electronix.com, but I'm not sure when I'm going to get it.

I also ordered a 40 watt soldering iron, but if you think my soldering gun would be better (which has dual heat settings of 100 and 140 watts), I'll use that instead. I thought a soldering gun would be okay for the ground to spring claw wire, because there really aren't any electronic components to damage there with too much heat.

Does the Mighty Mite pickguard assembly come with a wiring diagram? I might need to see where the wires need to be soldered (other than the ground wire to the spring claw, that one's easy).

Thanks for the info so far anyway, Steve, it's very helpful and re-assuring. And I'm definitely going to try that trick of screwing the output jack in backwards (or inside out?) so that the terminals are sticking out and being held in place by the one screw.

Old August 20th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

My career is in electronics, so some of my stuff may be a bit out there, since I am well aware of what many components can and can't handle...plus I've been soldering for almost 16 years now (I have been soldering since I got into electronics at age 12).

guns are mostly dangerous for electronics due to the strong EM fields generated by the coil. However there are no integrated circuits in a guitar, just pots, switches, a few capacitors, and some coils (pickups)....the magnets are at risk of losing their polarization (degaussing) though....that's the real risk, but that risk can be minimized through gun positioning, using a quality one with lower EMF output and simply re-orienting the pickguard to keep the pickups away from the claw at time of soldering.

FWIW, I do all my work with a 250w soldering gun, and had no issues yet. It's way overkill, and that heat level requires an advanced skill level to use and not damage components, but it works out fine for me. In truth more heat is better than not having enough when dealing with soldeirng a wire to a metal object. Capacitors and resistors though tend to go toes up if they overheat though, so those need a different twchnique (I heat the pot body first, then put the component lead and the solder on at the same time...look for the proper flow angle, tehn pull teh gun off.)

The key with soldering is to heat the wire and the plate to an equal temperature, so that the solder can flow into both parts and form a metallurgical bond. This is why some joints are impossible with a 15w iron.

Honestly, for the claw I would use the gun, or a high wattage soldering iron.

There is no wiring diagram, since it's just four wires to hook up (two grounds, this is an american strat wiring layout if yours has one ground just cut the wire with the ring terminal off), and the +/- leads for your output jack. Black is ground, and the two-lead wire is the jack lead. Just pay attention to teh pickguard you removed, and you will quickly figure out which wire is which.

note: you remove the wires from the output jack, not the pot....this will allow for a more forgiving solder job.

Old August 20th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Thanks for all of the information, Steve, I appreciate it. I'm sure I'm going to need all of it when I get the p/g assembly next month.

Old December 12th, 2008, 09:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I finally got a new loaded pickguard from Stew-Mac, and I successfully installed it. I also got a Wilkinson 2-point trem from Guitarfetish that fits okay on my Epi S-310.

Old July 10th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by epistrat View Post
I finally got a new loaded pickguard from Stew-Mac, and I successfully installed it. I also got a Wilkinson 2-point trem from Guitarfetish that fits okay on my Epi S-310.

hey epipstrat, did you put the pre loaded pickguard on ur strat or just the electronics, cuzz i wanna get a preloaded pick guard HSS for my epi strat
EPI-S-310 is offline   Reply With Quote