Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Squier Strat Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Strat Forum Hear ye, hear ye, Discussith Squier Strats herein

Old October 21st, 2010, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Squier Bullet HSS vs SSS

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm buying a Squier next week. Should I get the HSS or SSS; and will a Bullet last for long? I've been trying to find this out for a while...I tried many forums, including harmony central (who pretty much sucks). I heard this one was great and I was hoping to get an answer to my question. (i kno i put "squier bullet" in my bio, well thats the one I plan to get next week.) Thank you so much for any help.

sidvicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I probably shouldve added that I plan to play jazz, blues, Church tunes, and sometimes rock (ex. Beat It - MJ)

Old October 21st, 2010, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

The bullet is a great way to start your journey down "Strat Road". The HSS vs SSS is a personal choice. For what you are saying your styles of music are, you would most likely be happier with a SSS configuration. To me personally, a strat was meant to be an SSS. As far as I know all your blues players have SSS guitars. Why don't you try both before you purchase. Also, make sure you get the parts and tools that come with it. Sometimes people walk out without them or aren't offered them at all. Try to get a new one that is still in the box. Then ask for a free setup while you wait. Don't leave without your allen wrenches and trem. arm. By the way, welcome to the club.
Sparkfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 21st, 2010, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Thanks guys for the answers and thanks Sparkfire for the welcome....I think I'm staying here on strat-talk.com. Btw, i think I'm leaning towards SSS. Is SSS good for distortion and rock......nothing too heavy; and alternative rock sound.

Old October 21st, 2010, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

the bullet is a great way to start and alot of us here have them..Im thinking the SSS is the way to go..You can always get a humbucker and a HSS pickguard at a later time if you change your mind...Which color are you going to get ? also check the serial number on it..The ones that start with COB are better than the CY models,As you grow with the guitar you can always start modding it.
Axeaddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Im getting the sunburst...and im gonna search for the serial number

Old October 21st, 2010, 06:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

how do i find the serial #

Old October 21st, 2010, 06:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

its on the back of the headstock..

Old October 21st, 2010, 06:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Oh, I haven't bought yet. I'm getting it in a week so I don't have access to the guitar.

Old October 21st, 2010, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Heres a photo of my sunburst bullet..Not much left thats original on it Which ever one you get im sure you will be happy with it.

Old October 21st, 2010, 06:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Wow! Thats a great looking strat! Only difference between yours and the one I'm getting is that my pickguard is white. But I think its great to customize your guitar....did you mod anything? (other than the display)

Old October 21st, 2010, 06:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

disregard my last post...i think its kinda obviously modded lols

Old October 21st, 2010, 06:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Check out the new black Bullet HH with a skunk stripe!
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-B...SID=e4ovwxg1lw
1935STREETROD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 07:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Only thing left stock is the body and neck..All the other components were changed..

Old October 21st, 2010, 08:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Awesome guitar 1935STREETROD! I didn't know Squier or Fender made HH guitars.
And Axeaddict.... you changed pretty much everything? Can you give me any tips on modding a Squier since you know the inside of a Bullet?

Old October 21st, 2010, 09:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Ok theres been some debate about tuners around here..I mostly use gotoh tuners and the holes do have to be reamed out for them to fit..I think it was Pesky who found a set from Guitar fetish that fit with no mod to the headstock..On my three bullets I changed out the electronics to CTS pots and a CRL 5 way switch..These are way better than the stock ones ..My capacitor is an orange drop..Input jack is a switchcraft..Replaced the stock nut with a graph tech trem nut..Oh lets see roller string trees and MIM upgrade trem from Guitar fetish..Ive got tex mex pups in the srv and fender vintage RI in the other bullet..My third one has GFS staggered alnicos..Replacement pickguard and dunlop strap lock buttons..Fender acessory kit to change out the knobs and covers..Whew sounds like alot but they sure sound sweet when theyr'e done.May want to check out these sites..

Welcome to Guitarfetish

Guitar Parts Resource ::The Guitar Player's Hardware Store

Old October 21st, 2010, 09:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

The Squier Bullet is a fine guitar. I prefer the SSS myself--its the "classic" look, and its well suited to the types of music you're interested in playing. Keep in mind that even if your tastes were to change to heavier material, much of whatever sound you're looking for can be acquired via pedals. If I were in your position, I'd buy a Bullet and play the heck out of it for several months WITHOUT doing anything to it until you did a lot more reading and figured out exactly where you want to go with your playing.

Welcome to the forum!
Blackmore Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 09:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1935STREETROD View Post
Check out the new black Bullet HH with a skunk stripe!
GuitarCenter
I'm gassing for one of these so hard it hurts. If I can't get one in Aussie, I'll import one myself. I have 3 SSS Strats, Dunc SSL-1's, CD Fat 50's and EMG DG-20, but I hanker for a more modern tone. I love vintage but for the price this HH should satisfy that desire. Also it makes a great modding platform.

Sidvicious, I'd try both and decide. I like the tone of HB's but always come back to single coils. Can't beat em. That is, HB's are nice for a change but not my bread and butter.
Ausquier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 02:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for the advice....I think I'm gonna go with the SSS Squier. Is there any initial mods I should do? I know ppl love to mod these Squier guitars...what should I do to make it great enough for gigs and jammin with friends.

Old October 23rd, 2010, 08:51 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Maybe you should just leave it alone when you first get it. Upon finding a problem, mod away!
Stratty is offline   Reply With Quote