Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Squier Strat Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Strat Forum Hear ye, hear ye, Discussith Squier Strats herein

Old January 15th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Affinity vs. Bullet vs. ?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I tried to do a search, as I'm sure it's probably been covered before... but I came up empty so I'll just ask.

What is the pecking order of the Squier lineup of Strats? And what is the difference between an Affinity and a Bullet? Do they both have the thin body and narrow neck? Which one has the CBS style fat headstock?

What is the cheapest Squier Strat that has "true" strat dimensions, as far as body thickness and necks?

joeybsyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Affinity is the only Squier with the narrow neck AFAIK, but bear in mind it's a fat narrow neck. Affinity as an Alder body, Bullet has a Basswood (or plywood in older models) body. The Bullet is the less expensive model.
xen_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2009, 08:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

My son has a black "Squier Strat" from one of those packs. I think the model number is SE100. The truss rod adjusts from the headstock but there is no inlay. The body is full thickness alder and the neck is nice and fat with a rosewood fretboard. A very nice Squier that go used for ~$75.

Next up the ladder is the Standard Squier Strat with alnico pickups. At this level, one has an excellent sounding guitar.
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 15th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

The affinity has a thin body also...I prefer the bullet.

Just remember, a good player can make the cheapest guitar sound amazing!!!!

Old January 15th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

So is the Affinity the ONLY Squier with the thin body? A bullet is regular thickness, even though it's a cheaper model? Doesn't sound right to me...

Old January 15th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Anyone?

Old January 15th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

The older bullets had the thinner body, I'm not sure about the new ones.

Old January 15th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

The Affinity has a body that is ca. 1.6" (41mm) thin. Don't have a Bullet here to measure. I don't think it is much of an issue, for me the tone wood of the body is the more salient issue.

Old January 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I just don't really like the idea of the body not being true to original specs... I'll be honest, I have one and owned it for a month before I even realized it was thinner than my American strats... the first thing I noticed was that it weighed about half as much, but didn't realize it was partially because there wasn't even as much wood there! The headstock was modified with a vintage style decal before I got it, so I'm not even sure if its an affinity or a bullet...its a hardtail if that helps determine anything... it plays nice, and I'd buy another Squier as a result...but I just want to be sure I don't buy another with the thinner body. That's why I'm trying to determine which Squiers have it and which don't. What's a "standard" Squire? Is that above or below the Affinity price wise?
Attached Thumbnails
Affinity vs. Bullet vs. ?-ebay-003.jpg  

Old January 16th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I got a Standard Affinity in Chrome Red from a pawn near my house ($70 but it was covered in puck stickers, a Joe Strummer fan had it I guess). The neck was put on a standard aftermarket body for awhile. Make no mistake the Affinity is intended for young players, I can bar a chord with only my pinky. The body is well made, with a great finish. I think it was made thinner for younger players.

The partscaster it donated for has been dismantled so all the parts are still around and I have a mind to fix it up for my younger cousin who will turn 7 this year. I really think it is a good beginner's strat.
Super Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Moose View Post
Make no mistake the Affinity is intended for young players, I can bar a chord with only my pinky. The body is well made, with a great finish. I think it was made thinner for younger players ... I have a mind to fix it up for my younger cousin who will turn 7 this year. I really think it is a good beginner's strat.
The guitar is far too big for my 8 year old to handle, wait another 5 years or so until you even think about giving it to your cousin. Remember this is still a 25.5" scale fretboard. A 7 year old may do better with the Squier Mini, with its 22.75" scale.

When I orignally saw the specs (specifically the nut width) I thought it was intended for younger teenage or girl players. (I too bought the Affinity to start off a Partscaster). However the neck is a massive 0.89" thick, which more than compensates for the width. Make no mistake, this guitar is not intended for players with smaller hands.

[corrected paragraph]
In any case the difference between the Affinity's nut width and the width of the other Squire models is a mere 0.04" (ca. 1mm). You are not seriously telling me you can't bar a chord with your pinky on a neck with a nut a mere 1mm wider?

That being said I still prefer my necks wider. Fairly large fingers, and using a regular gauge string (ie 11s or 12s) I run out of room, especially on a 9.5" radius neck when bending. I'm going for a much wider 1.75" nut and maybe a 9.5"-12" compound radius when I get the neck made. However the neck width issue has proven to be far less of a problem than I anticipated when I got this axe.

Last edited by xen_; January 16th, 2009 at 10:22 AM. Reason: I was wrong re the original 1954 and Affinity nut width.

Old January 16th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

I would disagree that an 8 y/o can't handle a full-sized strat. My boy plays mine often and does okay. However, with that said, he does far better on my (our? his?) 66 Musicmaster witht he slightly shorter scale of 24" (I think that's it). It's not the shorty short neck.

And the 8 y/o won't get any smaller, so build him a guitar and let him start wailing away. The first year is usually just getting used to playing anyway and his hands will grow.

My opinion is that if they can, let them have the full size piece. My boy bought himself a bass for his birthday and went full-sized, even though he could have went with a shorter one. Yes he does have to stretch, but learning that early can't be all bad, eh?

randy
66musicmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
I just don't really like the idea of the body not being true to original specs... I'll be honest, I have one and owned it for a month before I even realized it was thinner than my American strats... the first thing I noticed was that it weighed about half as much, but didn't realize it was partially because there wasn't even as much wood there! The headstock was modified with a vintage style decal before I got it, so I'm not even sure if its an affinity or a bullet...its a hardtail if that helps determine anything... it plays nice, and I'd buy another Squier as a result...but I just want to be sure I don't buy another with the thinner body. That's why I'm trying to determine which Squiers have it and which don't. What's a "standard" Squire? Is that above or below the Affinity price wise?
It's easy: older Bullets were hardtails, so yours is a Bullet, all the other Squiers have the trem (including the newer Bullets).

Plus, the Affinity has got a 70's big headstock, the bullet a standard (normal) one.

The Standard Squier Strat has got a normal headstock and a standard shaped body (not thinner like the Bullet & the affinity strats), and it's more expensive.

Go to Squierguitars.com and have a look:

http://www.squierguitars.com/product...t=stratocaster
frako is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by frako View Post
It's easy: older Bullets were hardtails, so yours is a Bullet, all the other Squiers have the trem (including the newer Bullets).

Plus, the Affinity has got a 70's big headstock, the bullet a standard (normal) one.

The Standard Squier Strat has got a normal headstock and a standard shaped body (not thinner like the Bullet & the affinity strats), and it's more expensive.

Go to Squierguitars.com and have a look:

Squier® Guitars by Fender®: The Official Website

I agree on all but one point... not all Affinity's have the large headstock. My buddy who is just learning to play recently bought one of those "Strat Paks" with the mini amp and cord, etc. and it came with an Affinity Strat with a small headstock. He bought it less than 2 weeks ago, so maybe they've changed them again.

Old January 18th, 2009, 03:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I posted these comments on another thread but they apply here too:

The Affinity of today has the thinner 1.5" body but older Affinities (examples I have are YN ’97 'Made in China' and CY ’98 'Crafted in China') have full thickness 1.75” bodies and have 22 frets like the Squier Standard. But the Standard has a two point trem while the Affinity has the vintage type. The old Affinity tuners are not very good in that they don't last. The posts get the wobbles and go out of tune easily. You can easily spot these as the tuners are fixed with two screws on the back of the headstock with posts sleeved thru chromed plastic bushings. The newer Affinities seem better, being fixed with a nut on the front of the headstock, while the Standard ones are quite good.

Bullet quality was highly variable from 2005 to mid 2007. It's since been re-worked and is much improved. The Bullet is a hard tail but Squier Bullet 150DSP "Stop Dreaming Start Playing" packs inlcude an Affinity guitar, go figure. By the way there was an early Bullet with a tele type headstock made in Japan during the 80’s.

Lower down the strat food chain is the ‘California Series’. I don’t think this is available in the US but it's common in Asia, Australia and New Zealand. I understand that the strings don’t go thru the body but I also hear that this model has been upgraded so who knows how they rate now?

List price in NZ is California US$190, Bullet US$173, Affinity US$231, Standard US$347. Play plenty of examples and base your decision on what you like and your budget!
kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2009, 04:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66musicmaster View Post
I would disagree that an 8 y/o can't handle a full-sized strat. My boy plays mine often and does okay. However, with that said, he does far better on my (our? his?) 66 Musicmaster witht he slightly shorter scale of 24" (I think that's it). It's not the shorty short neck.

And the 8 y/o won't get any smaller, so build him a guitar and let him start wailing away. The first year is usually just getting used to playing anyway and his hands will grow.

randy
+1. I was only 9 years old and small for my age when I got my first guitar Ok it may be more of a challenge but it sure helps in developing a good stretch
StratmanNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I have a california series strat and it isnt like that, the strings go through the body and it looks better than my sisters affinity( wich is the thin one). My california series strat is black metallic and it looks of better quality than the affinity, it has the walnut stripe in te back and three ply pickguard. I also have an affinity tele and its the same quality as affinity strat in my opinion.

I have smal hans so neither guitars are hard to play for me , i guess im one of the few that likes thin necks.
squierkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Hi
the Bullet Bodys are 42mm, sorry, I don`t know how much this is in Inch.

I own two Bullets, one from 2007 and one from 2008.
I Love this cheap Guitars and I don`t need a Affinity. In the Shop where I bought my first Bullet, I have played the Affinitys too and I deceided to save my money and buy the Bullet.
For the 50.- Euros difference, I bought me a Set of Groovers and a Fender Trem with Steelblock (ebay) and now I have a very useful and good sounding guitar.
HohnerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

For the very most part, Affinity Strats sport narrow 1.61" nut widths and CBS chicken headstocks. Bullet Strats have 1.65" nut widths and vintage Strat headstocks. These are the big differences, to me, and why I'd choose the Bullet ... and save $50 in the process that you can put into better tuners.
Just ordered my 8th Bullet ... gotta feel the Love ....
Rob DiStefano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
I agree on all but one point... not all Affinity's have the large headstock. My buddy who is just learning to play recently bought one of those "Strat Paks" with the mini amp and cord, etc. and it came with an Affinity Strat with a small headstock. He bought it less than 2 weeks ago, so maybe they've changed them again.

No way - yer bud got a fluke (and got lucky) - all Affinity Strats are slated to have chicken headstock necks and narrow nut widths. Yuk.
Rob DiStefano is offline   Reply With Quote