Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Squier Strat Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Squier Strat Forum Hear ye, hear ye, Discussith Squier Strats herein

Old February 8th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Difference between Squier body and Fender body?

Hey guy does anyone know how different of the 2 Alder bodies used between the Squier Strat and a MIM Fender Strat ?

AKnight21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2009, 05:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

well the fender is more than likely going to be made of less pieces

Old February 8th, 2009, 05:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

thanx for the reply! On the musicians friend website it says it made from a contoured solid alder body, does that still mean it's made out of various pieces? I'm a newb so sorry I am learning.
AKnight21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 8th, 2009, 05:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

ha its fine dude i am just a guy with to much time............ when they say contoured thats the belly cut on the back of the body and the slim down top edge on the front...............most guitars are made of various pieces wood but not stacked on top of each other like play u can get some squiers with 2-3 piece bodys if u find one in a store and check it over

Old February 8th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Depends on which Squier model you are referring to. Only the Affinitys and CVs are Alder. The Affinity is probably a three piece spec body but is only 1.5 in thick. My stock Affinity weighed in at 8 lbs. The CVs are spec bodies and are two or three piece. So, the biggest difference is going to be the quality of the Alder. I assume that the Alder used in Chinese/Indo bodies is not US stock and the MIM is.
mtjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Squiers have a thinner body than standard Fenders (MIA and MIM). The new CV series have the normal body width so you can drop in regular size blocks if you want. String spacing is also different on the Squiers..........some of the tummy-cuts and contours are not as extreme as some of Fender offerings.......
thaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaus View Post
Squiers have a thinner body than standard Fenders (MIA and MIM). The new CV series have the normal body width so you can drop in regular size blocks if you want. String spacing is also different on the Squiers..........some of the tummy-cuts and contours are not as extreme as some of Fender offerings.......
Don't forget about the Vintage Modiifed Series. Those have the normal body width same as the Classic Vibes etc etc...

So are those the only two offerings from Squier now without the skinny body profile ?
Jefro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Send a message via Yahoo to elementlax
yes, they are
i think fender is finally realizing that not everyone can afford multiple MIA's
elementlax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementlax View Post
yes, they are
i think fender is finally realizing that not everyone can afford multiple MIA's
And then raising prices... 20-40%... thanks Fender...
nars1l is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

The Squier Standard, VM, CV, etc., are more or less Fender spec. The Bullet and Affinity series have the thinner body. The Standards and Affinity have the large CBS headstock.

Old February 8th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
some of the tummy-cuts and contours are not as extreme as some of Fender offerings.......
That is the biggest difference I notice between my CV 60s and my 01 MIM. The MIM just feels like it conforms to me a bit more. It isn't enough of a difference that it even bothers me but I do notice it when I go from one to the other.

...Greg
GregP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregP View Post
That is the biggest difference I notice between my CV 60s and my 01 MIM. The MIM just feels like it conforms to me a bit more. It isn't enough of a difference that it even bothers me but I do notice it when I go from one to the other.

...Greg
Same thing here between my CV60 and 95 MIM.

The MIM has a deeper cut where as the CV is more uniform in terms of shape.
Jefro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
some of the tummy-cuts and contours are not as extreme as some of Fender offerings.......
Oh yea, there is even a diference between the MIM and MIA, which is one of the only better things about the MIA, is that is has a more comfortable contour

Old February 8th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I'm sure this has probably been covered before, but I can't seem to find the answer... why do MIM and Squiers use narrower string spacing at the bridge than MIA strats? The necks all seem to pretty much interchange, so I'd guess the fretboards are all pretty close to the same widths too... Just wondering why you have to get a MIA to get authentic strat string spacing?
joeybsyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
I'm sure this has probably been covered before, but I can't seem to find the answer... why do MIM and Squiers use narrower string spacing at the bridge than MIA strats? The necks all seem to pretty much interchange, so I'd guess the fretboards are all pretty close to the same widths too... Just wondering why you have to get a MIA to get authentic strat string spacing?
because they want to sucker you into buying the now $1300 guitar,m when the $200 squier affinity works just fine. unless you can fine a cheap MIA on ebay or craigslist (i got mine for $450 on ebay because the headstock had a different finish than the neck, HA!), then dont buy one at all

Old February 8th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

What about the Squier Deluxe? Does it have the same specs as the CV and VM? I know it has poplar or basswood but size wise?
pcorajr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

You can view specs on all models here:

Squier® Guitars by Fender®: The Official Website

Old February 9th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

To follow up on what mjto says, the Squier website claims the width of the body on the Bullet series to be 42mm which is 1.65 inches. The width is not listed on the other models. The width isn't listed on Fender's website either for the few models I examined the specs of. I don't think this settles the issue, but I think it's safe to say that for 2008 models, the minimum width of the body is going to be 1.65" for all Squiers.

-STS
stshipley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I don't give a damn what that website or the catalog says, my 2008 Bullet measures 38mm thick, not 42 mm. The width of the nut is 42 mm. _TRUST ME_ I measured it!
big-daddy-59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

There is quite often a discrepancy between what the Squier site says and reality and there always has been. Look at some of the nut widths they claim on various models and then go put your hand around one in a store and compare with a guitar you know that has the same supposed nut width.

...Greg
GregP is offline   Reply With Quote