Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old June 24th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Replacing SCN pickups in american deluxe

There may be a thread on this already.. If so.. My bad. But my question is I have a american deluxe strat with the SCN pickups. I don't hate them but they don't perform like my other strats. I know it is possible to replace them but If I do so will i loose my s1 switch or de- value the guitar in anyway?

VoodooChild501 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

You would definitely devalue the guitar, but you can still hold onto them and reinstall if you go to resell. I have no idea whether the S-1 can be wired to new pups or not. Sorry you don't like the SCNs, I had an ash like the one in your picture and it was real punchy!
"Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?"
Jimmy R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I replaced the pickups with cs69's when I had a deluxe, just bought new pots, wire, pickups, switch, knobs etc and left the scns all wired up for easy install if case I ever sold it, which I did, worth doing imo
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 24th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

You won't lose your S1 functionality.
Steve St.Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2011, 06:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

with any pickup, before you try the "hard fix" try the easy one first....

Just try adjusting the pickup heights.... pickups, all pickups, have a "Sweet spot". Many guys when they get their guitar, immediately begin sticking screw drivers into screws and begin turning... often without a clue as to what they are doing, often fixing what ain't broke.

Another "culprit" . . . few guitars come from the manufacturer with anything more than a barely minimum setup, then, if the owner starts "fiddling" with things he knows nothing about, things only slide further down hill.

So before you get out the Credit card and soldering gun, try setting the pickups at about 1/8" from the strings and go from there.

The SCN's were designed, no, wait, invented (he holds the Patent) by Bill Lawrence. Bill has forgotten more about pickups than most winders will ever learn. He knows a thing or two about pups, he is very "anal" about the sound they produce, and speaks with pride about the SCN, it's a hellova pup.

Quote:
I don't hate them but they don't perform like my other strats.
as far as that goes, the American Deluxe isn't supposed to perform like the other Strats, it's not the "other" Strats, it's an American Deluxe, that's why it has different electronics, different switching and different pickups. If it performed like the others, there would be no reason for it to exist.

I'm not trying to be a snot, but I often get requests for exotic wiring/pickups/electronics from guys that just want something different... and haven't the slightest notion of why they want all that "stuff", then comes the gripe...I "they don't perform like my other strats" to which I reply, "Thank you for noticing".

Ron Kirn
Ronkirn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2011, 06:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

I agree with Ron. Sometimes I think we hear what we want to hear. There is a view about SCNs that somehow they're not organic sounding or warm and tend toward sterility. If the pickup is somehow masking part of the sound (hum in this case) then perhaps its missing in other areas but the real problem may well be between the ears rather than under the strings.
BLAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronkirn View Post
with any pickup, before you try the "hard fix" try the easy one first....

Just try adjusting the pickup heights.... pickups, all pickups, have a "Sweet spot". Many guys when they get their guitar, immediately begin sticking screw drivers into screws and begin turning... often without a clue as to what they are doing, often fixing what ain't broke.

Another "culprit" . . . few guitars come from the manufacturer with anything more than a barely minimum setup, then, if the owner starts "fiddling" with things he knows nothing about, things only slide further down hill.

So before you get out the Credit card and soldering gun, try setting the pickups at about 1/8" from the strings and go from there.

The SCN's were designed, no, wait, invented (he holds the Patent) by Bill Lawrence. Bill has forgotten more about pickups than most winders will ever learn. He knows a thing or two about pups, he is very "anal" about the sound they produce, and speaks with pride about the SCN, it's a hellova pup.

as far as that goes, the American Deluxe isn't supposed to perform like the other Strats, it's not the "other" Strats, it's an American Deluxe, that's why it has different electronics, different switching and different pickups. If it performed like the others, there would be no reason for it to exist.

I'm not trying to be a snot, but I often get requests for exotic wiring/pickups/electronics from guys that just want something different... and haven't the slightest notion of why they want all that "stuff", then comes the gripe...I "they don't perform like my other strats" to which I reply, "Thank you for noticing".

Ron Kirn
Couldn't agree more!
"Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?"
Jimmy R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

My experience - which may help you :

I just put an SSL-1 in my Deluxe -did not lose S1 functionality.
It sounded so close to the SCN, that I put the SCN back in to keep it original.
Then I ordered a loaded pickguard with Fender Fat 50s - it cost a lot, but it is better than buying each pick up separate and having to do all the work yourself. As far as value - I'm just going to hold on to the original pick guard.
crane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

The s-1 is wired to the switch and has nothing to do with which pups are installed. I switched out the SCNs as well because the guitar did nt have the typical strat sparkle. Whie its hard to argue with Ron Kirns background of wisdom, I'm glad I made the switch. The important thing to think of IMO, is what is missing or what do you wish it did or didn't do.. In the case of my guitar it was kind of dull sounding and lower output pups was the cure. They heped liven it up a ot. The same pups in another guitar may be too bright. So figure where you are, and where you want to be and then start trying to find a pup that wil do what you want. A general guideline is vintage or low output pups tend to sound bright and have spanky wound strings. Overwound pups tend to warm up the guitar to a degree drive the amp harder and emphasize mids more. General guideline here.

Last edited by amstratnut; June 26th, 2011 at 12:45 AM.
amstratnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 03:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I just have my days... Sometimes I really like the sound of the scn's but other times they just don't do it for me. But I guess if I'm not digging the sound that day I can always play one of my other strats! also good idea about the adjusting the height or maybe buying a loaded pickguard for a easy change while being able to go back stock as I please or for resale.
VoodooChild501 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 04:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Buy a new scratch plate, pots, knobs etc and then you can basically hot swap from the new set of pups to the SNC's (I dont know why you would want to). I took mine out and am using cs69's and the sound is the best ever. The SCN's were a major disappointment IMHO.

If go to sell you could offer both pickguards or keep the new ones for your new project. I sold my SCN's on ebay as I was not worried about selling the guitar. It looks so good and plays so well I just wont sell it.
wahcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooChild501 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I just have my days... Sometimes I really like the sound of the scn's but other times they just don't do it for me. But I guess if I'm not digging the sound that day I can always play one of my other strats! also good idea about the adjusting the height or maybe buying a loaded pickguard for a easy change while being able to go back stock as I please or for resale.
Definitely play with the pickup height. In my experience, SCNs sound best when set low. I have mine set as follows (as measured from the magnet top to string underside):

Neck: Bass = 12/64", Treble = 10/64"

Middle: Bass = 13/64", Treble = 11/64"

Bridge: Bass = 12/64", Treble = 10/64"

Nice crisp sound in positions 1, 3, and 5. Good quack in positions 2 and 4.

Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, BB King: The Ultimate Guitar Trio
bluesky636 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Maybe I missed something, but why would you want a Strat to perform like other Strats you already have? Unless this is a guitar you use as a replacement when you do live shows etc.. I would think if anyone has more than one Strat, they be happy that both have their own sound.

Cheers,
Arnie...
arnie65 is offline   Reply With Quote