Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old August 15th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
More Awesomer

serial number search

Looking to find out more about your fender??
The Guitar Dater Project - Fender Serial Number Decoder
Enter in your serial number and the country of origin and find out where and when your guitar was made, also find a little description of the shops history.
personally i find this tool to be pretty interesting.

Have fun with it, and if this tread exists and i couldnt find it with a search, feel free to delete or move it to the section best suited

now on with the fun

With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

Last edited by carver; August 15th, 2011 at 05:19 AM.
carver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

It doesn't work with my Limited Edition fenders :(
MayerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
-----------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by carver View Post
Looking to find out more about your fender??
The Guitar Dater Project - Fender Serial Number Decoder
Enter in your serial number and the country of origin and find out where and when your guitar was made, also find a little description of the shops history.
personally i find this tool to be pretty interesting.

Have fun with it, and if this tread exists and i couldnt find it with a search, feel free to delete or move it to the section best suited

now on with the fun
the guitar dater project is a joke. if you have a basic knowledge of serial numbers you know as much as it does.
stratphobic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratphobic

the guitar dater project is a joke. if you have a basic knowledge of serial numbers you know as much as it does.
Agree but at least you can tell if your serial numbers are legit
Jfernan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Or you could just check Fender's web site?

Fender® Support

Old August 15th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
More Awesomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratphobic View Post
humm thank you for your input and amazing insight,.....
what about the people that dont know any better and are interested in looking up to see if they are being sold the true thing or not?
sure they can use fenders website as pointed out gracefully by another member, or they could use the dater project, ive seen on plenty of web sites where people bicker over the way to "properly read" a serial number, and this tool seems to help you do some research into what youve heard.
If i had submitted the idea that this was a tell all only source with the best information available to human eyes and hands, then sure, the retoric would be a welcome push in the right direction.
i found this to be interesting. so if human kind has shown me anything, there are others that will find this interesting, and others that will crap talk all over it
With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

Old August 15th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfernan View Post
Agree but at least you can tell if your serial numbers are legit
Not really. It doesn't recognize a lot of legit serial numbers and it also recognize serial numbers that are on fake guitars for instance. Off off the top of my head I could make a serial and I bet it would come out legit.

MN645230
1962 Epiphone Sheraton 50th anniversary
Yogi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
More Awesomer

i'll just stick to playing.
instead of researching.
Attached Thumbnails
serial number search-dh.jpg  

Old August 15th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

It's a decently reliable tool to find serial numbers.

Old August 15th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

It only gives the year; it won't tell you if it's a real serial or not.
For example if you type in Z9 and any six numbers it just tells you it's 2009. That's pretty much common knowledge anyway.
There are way better sources than that. I saw this a long time ago, and dismissed it pretty quickly.
Steve365 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
what about the people that dont know any better and are interested in looking up to see if they are being sold the true thing or not?
sure they can use fenders website as pointed out gracefully by another member, or they could use the dater project, ive seen on plenty of web sites where people bicker over the way to "properly read" a serial number, and this tool seems to help you do some research into what youve heard.
If i had submitted the idea that this was a tell all only source with the best information available to human eyes and hands, then sure, the retoric would be a welcome push in the right direction.
i found this to be interesting. so if human kind has shown me anything, there are others that will find this interesting, and others that will crap talk all over it
Here's a more knowledgeable site:

Fender Telecaster Guitar Discussion Forum
Steve365 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

And what is common knowledge to us is not so common to a person who isn't a guitar nut. I used it to date my brother's MIM squier from '94, before I knew how simple the numbering system was. It works just fine for those kinds of applications.

And as to if it is a real number or not: all somebody has to do is go to guitar Center and look at the serial and copy off of it. Wouldn't be too hard to get a real number on a fake guitar.

Old August 15th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

With all the fake epiphones, that site says they are legit. I wouldn't trust that site for anything serious.

Old August 15th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
-----------------------

Quote:
the guitar dater project tells you no more than just looking at the fender support page that discusses dating a guitar
stratphobic is offline   Reply With Quote