Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old September 19th, 2011, 05:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Do i need to change the frets on this neck?

bluez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 05:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
The One

The 2nd one doesn't look promising.

Usually, if it's just a couple of frets, guitar techs are willing to do a partial refret, and if it's more, then they prefer to change them all.

https://soundcloud.com/goodkat_st
Goodkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 05:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Yeah that second fret looks in bad shape, are they all getting like that how are the other frets from the 3rd onwards?
http://www.kldguitar.com - Amp's & Effects
muzzaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 19th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzaman View Post
Yeah that second fret looks in bad shape, are they all getting like that how are the other frets from the 3rd onwards?

As you can see it's just the lower tree freets. So a partil refreeting shoul be enough then?

Old September 19th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post

As you can see it's just the lower tree freets. So a partil refreeting shoul be enough then?
I'm not really qualified to say if a partial refret would be best.

I'll let someone with more experience give their opinion on that.

But the first 3 look pretty worn. I would personally just get a full refret but thats me.
http://www.kldguitar.com - Amp's & Effects
muzzaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

i don't think a full refret is necessary if you're not too attached to the neck or if it isn't very valuable. since most refrets usually would cost +$250. probably better to buy a new neck.

but im no expert on these things either. it doesn't look too bad to me. fret dress/level maybe? or that partial refret would be better.
Phatius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Level and crown should be fine on those. Take it to a good tech. Would cost around £50 in the UK.
charvelj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

It's a Japanesse 54 re from the 80's. If i only change the upper 4, wil it be easy to see that i have done a partial refret? Will the neck be more playable if change all of them?

Old September 19th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

You might be able to get away with a crown, level & polish on those, but all the frets will be smaller when done. It also only forestalls the inevitable.

I think partial re-frets are far more of a possibility on rosewood boards. Maple boards are tougher because even the best luthiers rarely get away without damaging the finish on maple boards when pulling the old frets.

A new set of jumbos would feel really nice and enhance playability.

Old September 19th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage59 View Post
You might be able to get away with a crown, level & polish on those, but all the frets will be smaller when done. It also only forestalls the inevitable.

I think partial re-frets are far more of a possibility on rosewood boards. Maple boards are tougher because even the best luthiers rarely get away without damaging the finish on maple boards when pulling the old frets.

A new set of jumbos would feel really nice and enhance playability.
Jumbo frets are nice, but on this one (54're) i would like to kep the vintag style frets. I have asked a guitar workshop, they need one hour to change four frets, he need an hour since it's maple. But he also would like to see the neck first.

Old September 19th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Yes it's inevitable that all frets will wear out if the guitar is played, but if the frets are properly evaluated, and dressed, it will give you at least double the life out of the ones you've already paid for.
Gene Warner
repairman
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

From what I see, I would have a fret crown and polish. I had frets worn worse then that and a really good Luthier did it up right. He charged me $80.00 and the guitar is perfect.
Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

My local tech does a complete refret for $80... I'd just go ahead and have them all done.

Old September 20th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbuckelew View Post
My local tech does a complete refret for $80... I'd just go ahead and have them all done.
$80?? how good are they done? and would he do mine if i sent my neck to him??
Phatius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

a complete refret for $80.00???? Thats cheep as heck what is he using plastic frets? ;)

here is a price list for a guy in SW Florida (not my guy, just someone who posts prices online)
FRET LEVEL & DRESS
$110

COMPLETE FRET JOB
$225

FRET JOB (BOUND FINGERBOARD)
$275

HEADSTOCK BREAK
$100

INSTALL TUNING MACHINES
REGLUE BINDING
$5 each
$25 min

REFINISH MAPLE NECK $100
Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
It's a Japanesse 54 re from the 80's. If i only change the upper 4, wil it be easy to see that i have done a partial refret? Will the neck be more playable if change all of them?
If those are vintage frets then forget about a level and crown, number two is really far gone and all the rest would have to be brought down to that level. You could get a partial refret, but I can guarantee there is still some wear on the other frets too and you still need to level and crown the entire neck after you replace the really bad frets and you will be taking the new frets down to the level of the best bad fret once it's finished so you will be losing height anyway. So in my opinion if your going to do it you might as well pay for a total refret if you can get one for 200sh, even after they level and crown them you will have more life than you will in the best scenario of a partial refret. It will be more money, but money well spent.

Of course you could just get another neck, but this guitar has some history and you seem to want to keep it as original as possible, I would too.
srvwannab is online now   Reply With Quote