Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum



Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com


Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!


Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 7th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 43
Build your own guitar kit?

Here is the link.
Super LIghtweight Strat Style Kit- Maple or Rosewood!

Has anyone ever dropped the 90 bucks for these? I know they are cheap for a reason but how bad could they be? I am a bit bored and thought it would be fun to get one of these and paint it and put it together and be able to play it.

So how are these? The neck, the pickups, the bridge, the bodies? Im not expecting one of them to outdo my Fender Strat but was wondering if they are a waste of 90 bucks.

So if anyone has got one of these let me know what you thought, or better yet upload pics of your finished result.

Thanks

Weston is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
ghostwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: texas and ohio
Age: 61
Posts: 4,636
i've never built one of these kits, but from all the reviews i've read, the kits from gfs leave a lot to be desired. parts not fitting, shoddy craftsmanship, and generally cheap components.
this should be a better deal-
ELECTRIC GUITAR KIT- Strat-STYLE - Guitar bodies and kits from BYOGuitar
ghostwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
nickmsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southwestern Indiana
Age: 28
Posts: 6,950
I've built 3 or 4, they're not worth the money. 1 of them turned out gig-worthy. You'd be better off buying a pawn shop squier, refinishing it and modding it for cheaper, and you'd get a guaranteed playable result.
nickmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting
 

Old October 7th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Texas
Age: 47
Posts: 5,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weston View Post
Here is the link.
Super LIghtweight Strat Style Kit- Maple or Rosewood!

Has anyone ever dropped the 90 bucks for these? I know they are cheap for a reason but how bad could they be? I am a bit bored and thought it would be fun to get one of these and paint it and put it together and be able to play it.

So how are these? The neck, the pickups, the bridge, the bodies? Im not expecting one of them to outdo my Fender Strat but was wondering if they are a waste of 90 bucks.

So if anyone has got one of these let me know what you thought, or better yet upload pics of your finished result.

Thanks
My personal opinion is instead of buying the kit, look at what is in the kit and buy all the parts separately and put it together yourself. You can do that all on the guitarfetish web site, or substitute any other parts from other vendors you prefer. Definitely some things like the pickups that come in those kits are usually going to be kind of crappy and you may want something better qualiry.

Buying all the parts separately gives you complete control over pretty much every aspect of things. One advantage is you could, for example, select a pre-finished body or neck which would be a lot easier and might give your completed product a more professional appearance.

Your other option is to buy the kit and just swap out whatever parts you aren't satisfied with quality wise (like pickups for example) in the kit. If there are very many such parts you may find it cheaper to buy a-la-carte.
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
-----------------------
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Smith, Arkansas
Age: 25
Posts: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weston
Here is the link.
Super LIghtweight Strat Style Kit- Maple or Rosewood!

Has anyone ever dropped the 90 bucks for these? I know they are cheap for a reason but how bad could they be? I am a bit bored and thought it would be fun to get one of these and paint it and put it together and be able to play it.

So how are these? The neck, the pickups, the bridge, the bodies? Im not expecting one of them to outdo my Fender Strat but was wondering if they are a waste of 90 bucks.

So if anyone has got one of these let me know what you thought, or better yet upload pics of your finished result.

Thanks
You get what you pay for. The only kit I would even consider building is a carvin kit.
stratphobic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
 
nickmsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southwestern Indiana
Age: 28
Posts: 6,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by softwarejanitor View Post
My personal opinion is instead of buying the kit, look at what is in the kit and buy all the parts separately and put it together yourself. You can do that all on the guitarfetish web site, or substitute any other parts from other vendors you prefer. Definitely some things like the pickups that come in those kits are usually going to be kind of crappy and you may want something better qualiry.

Buying all the parts separately gives you complete control over pretty much every aspect of things. One advantage is you could, for example, select a pre-finished body or neck which would be a lot easier and might give your completed product a more professional appearance.

Your other option is to buy the kit and just swap out whatever parts you aren't satisfied with quality wise (like pickups for example) in the kit. If there are very many such parts you may find it cheaper to buy a-la-carte.
That can get really pricey. A good body is at least 50 bucks before shipping, and a good neck is usually 75 or more. Then comes all the electronics and pickups, and other hardware. Even then, there's the possibility that the neck won't line up just right.

But for 60-80 bucks you can get a squier you like, disassemble it, refinish, do whatever you want to it, you can even rewire the whole thing if you're looking for the full experience, then reassemble. You will have a perfectly fitting, good playing specimen (because you saw and felt what it looked like before you ever messed with it.

The kits are awfully made many times. The nuts usually are not an appropriate height, I've had a warped neck, and nothing is really even as good as a Squier about it.

I ended up using the parts from a few of the kits I bought on other projects. The bass kit I put together was the only one worth the money.



And even on this one, the D and G strings are quiet because the poles don't line up with the strings, and there's not a simple way of fixing it without buying a new pickguard, cutting it, or routing excessively. And this is the finest made specimen of the ones I've made. The other SG copy I made just feels flimsy, the nut was super high, and it just doesn't really sound very good.

Believe me, as a guy who's done both kits and modding, you'll feel that same attachment to a guitar you rescue as one you build from a kit. Only difference is that the one you just mod will actually be stable and playable.
nickmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster
 
jimmiraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Buffalo NY
Age: 53
Posts: 2,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratphobic View Post
You get what you pay for. The only kit I would even consider building is a carvin kit.
I agree Carvin is the only kit i'd buy too.
Owning lots of Carvin gear now, I wouldn't blink an eye reguarding the quality of their guitar kits.
jimmiraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
nickmsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southwestern Indiana
Age: 28
Posts: 6,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiraz View Post
i
I agree Carvin is the only kit i'd buy too.
Owning lots of Carvin gear now, I wouldn't blink an eye reguarding the quality of their guitar kits.
Carvin is the real deal as far as kits go, but you pay a premium price for their stuff. The cheap Asian factory kits are about the same percentage of success as those carnival basketball games with the misshapen hoops.

It took me 4 kits to finally figure that out. Slow learner, obviously.
nickmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Texas
Age: 47
Posts: 5,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmsmith View Post
That can get really pricey.
It can, depending on what parts you select. I just filled a shopping cart on guitarfetish.com with what I'd consider a nice base Strat kit (unfinished body and neck). Came up to around $250, but the quality of the parts I picked, even though they were generally fairly mid-range for what is on that site (plain wbw pickguard, for example), are probably better overall than what is in their kits. Pick a finished body and neck and it would be a little more too. On the other hand, for what you get, still comparable to what I generally have into a Squier I buy and upgrade.

Quote:
A good body is at least 50 bucks before shipping, and a good neck is usually 75 or more.
That is true.

Quote:
Then comes all the electronics and pickups, and other hardware. Even then, there's the possibility that the neck won't line up just right.
If I run into this sort of problem on all new parts I bought, especially if from the same vendor, they are going to get returned.

Quote:
But for 60-80 bucks you can get a squier you like, disassemble it, refinish, do whatever you want to it, you can even rewire the whole thing if you're looking for the full experience, then reassemble. You will have a perfectly fitting, good playing specimen (because you saw and felt what it looked like before you ever messed with it.
Well, that is all generally true... of course the perfect fitting and playing part depends on your skill level, but the same thing is true as much or more with a kit. And generally by the time I'm done I have about the same into a Squier as I'd have in a guitar if I bought all the parts new. On a typical Squier I usually end up replacing everything except the body, neck, strap buttons, string trees, neck plate, knobs and screws... Some models maybe I would keep the pickguard or tuning machines. About the only major exceptions would be the Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified... about all those need is the crappy thin pot metal trem block replaced with a full size steel one.

Quote:
The kits are awfully made many times. The nuts usually are not an appropriate height, I've had a warped neck, and nothing is really even as good as a Squier about it.
Which is why I suggested buying the replacement/upgrade quality parts a-la-carte instead of the kit. If I get parts that aren't right, they get sent back.

Quote:
I ended up using the parts from a few of the kits I bought on other projects. The bass kit I put together was the only one worth the money.
Over the years I've put together several guitars a-la-carte from between decent to the best quality parts I could get, and I've never had the kind of problems you are talking about. The replacement parts are just generally of better quality, which is why it costs $250 to buy the parts a-la-carte from guitarfetish instead of $120 for their Strat kit. To a certain extent you do get what you pay for. Warmouth bodies and necks, for example, can add up the price pronto. Of course their stuff is arguably often of better quality than "real" Fender.

Quote:
And even on this one, the D and G strings are quiet because the poles don't line up with the strings, and there's not a simple way of fixing it without buying a new pickguard, cutting it, or routing excessively. And this is the finest made specimen of the ones I've made. The other SG copy I made just feels flimsy, the nut was super high, and it just doesn't really sound very good.
Nuts need to be fitted into the neck. If you buy a new nut for a Squier it will likely have the same problem. You usually need to sand them down to fit at the right height and finish filing and smoothing the string cuts. It is rare to find a pre-cut nut that fits a given neck exactly perfectly.
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster
 
Ronkirn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 68
Posts: 2,487
now,,, ya gotta ask yourself... how good could a kit be that costs less than a good (good being the key word) set of pickups...

Ron Kirn
__________________

"When you want to help people, you tell them the truth, when you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear." Dr. Thomas Sowell
Ronkirn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master
 
pepsiblue32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Murrieta, CA
Age: 25
Posts: 517
Yeah, I've built one of those kits for a friend. Ended up having to do a lot of modification just to get certain holes lining up. Wouldn't recommend it.

If I were you, I would keep an eye open at GC for used guitars. Occasionally, you'll find a Bullet that's been marked down significantly because the body has been beat to hell or the neck is unplayable.

I picked up a Arctic White from 2007 for like 35$ a few weeks ago. Body was thrashed (looked like someone did a bad relic job) but the neck was really smooth. The hardware was useable as were the pickups. In your case, you might just pickup an after market body that you can paint from there.
__________________
My band's interpretation of Levanto Mis Manos
2010 Midnight Wine Fender Mexican Strat
2008 Arctic White Squier Bullet Strat
pepsiblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-Talker
 
MelodicBends's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 328
$35?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?! Holy f*&%in' s#!% man! That's almost as good as that guy who got a really nice blue strat for 30 bones at a garage sale a few months ago!!!
__________________

"A lot of people want to be successful so they can go out and party and have fun. But to me, making music is the fun part. I'm a weirdo!" -Eddie Van Halen
MelodicBends is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2011, 05:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master
 
pepsiblue32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Murrieta, CA
Age: 25
Posts: 517
Haha yeah, I walked really fast out of there hoping they didnt make a mistake on the price tag.
__________________
My band's interpretation of Levanto Mis Manos
2010 Midnight Wine Fender Mexican Strat
2008 Arctic White Squier Bullet Strat
pepsiblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guitar Build Neck Help Guitard Sidewinders Bar & Grille 1 June 5th, 2011 06:05 PM
Anyone build a Saga Guitar Kit? Bangbang Tech-Talk 1 May 7th, 2011 07:21 PM
New Guitar Build! little_wing142 Stratocaster Discussion Forum 4 November 21st, 2010 04:47 PM
Another Guitar Build (SRV - Lenny) DrakeZero Tech-Talk 10 June 29th, 2010 08:08 PM
Guitar build site Volusia Stratocaster Discussion Forum 6 June 17th, 2010 02:25 AM

Untitled Document

Untitled Document

» Recent Strat-Talk Discussion
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



 


Design by: vBulletin Skins Zone
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2


The words Fender®, Telecaster®, Stratocaster® and the associated headstock designs are registered trademarks of the Fender Musical Instruments Corporation.
Strat-Talk.com is an independent, member supported forum and is not affiliated with Fender Musical Instruments Corporation.
© 2007 All rights reserved.

Strat-Talk.com is not responsible for the content posted by private individuals on this website. The views expressed herein are solely the opinions of the individuals that produced them and not necessarily the views of the owner of this website.