Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old October 17th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

EVH Frankenstein Pickup in a Strat

Has anyone here put an EVH Frankenstein pickup in their Strat? I'm thinking of doing that to my MIM Standard. From what I can find, it appears that the EVH Frankenstein pickup is not available in an F-spaced model. So if you did this, what kind of results did you get? How well aligned are the strings over the pole pieces?

stevel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2011, 06:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Isn't part of the EVH brown sound to have the Gibby spaced bucker tilted so it works? That's the EVH tone!
MayerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

The f spacing is for floyd rose trem systems, so unless you have one you're good to go.
billinator34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billinator34 View Post
The f spacing is for floyd rose trem systems, so unless you have one you're good to go.
Oh, so the "F" is for "Floyd"?!? I thought it was for "Fender". Well, I don't have a FR bridge so I guess I'm good! Thanks, man!

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
-----------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by billinator34 View Post
that would be incorrect. try putting a regular spaced humbucker in a fender, which i have, and you'll know you need an f-spaced humbucker or trembucker in a strat, which i do.
stratphobic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

To clarify, F-spacing just means it's for a longer scale(25-1/2), like Fender or Ibanez. Most humbuckers are spaced for Gibson, 24-3/4 prox and the strings won't line up properly under the longer scales.
ehemmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
-----------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehemmer View Post
To clarify, F-spacing just means it's for a longer scale(25-1/2), like Fender or Ibanez. Most humbuckers are spaced for Gibson, 24-3/4 prox and the strings won't line up properly under the longer scales.
also incorrect. f spacing means it's for the wider string spacing of a fender. it has nothing to do with scale length.

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

hmm, conflicting information, gotta love it. So, if I put a non-F-spaced humbucker in a Fender Strat, how bad will alignment between pole pieces and strings be? The EVH Frankenstein is not available in F-spaced version, presumably because EVH didn't use an F-spaced pickup. But he mounted it on an angle to compensate, like the bridge pickup on single coil strats. I'm not about to screw the pickup into the body and I doubt I'll be able to find a pickguard that is cut for a slanted humbucker.

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratphobic

that would be incorrect. try putting a regular spaced humbucker in a fender, which i have, and you'll know you need an f-spaced humbucker or trembucker in a strat, which i do.
+1 my gibson spaced SD distortion on my Strat is off a bit
Highway1fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
-----------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
hmm, conflicting information, gotta love it. So, if I put a non-F-spaced humbucker in a Fender Strat, how bad will alignment between pole pieces and strings be? The EVH Frankenstein is not available in F-spaced version, presumably because EVH didn't use an F-spaced pickup. But he mounted it on an angle to compensate, like the bridge pickup on single coil strats. I'm not about to screw the pickup into the body and I doubt I'll be able to find a pickguard that is cut for a slanted humbucker.
the alignment will be off a little, the worst on the outside strings and not as bad on the A and B and the middle 2 will be almost on. warmoth will cut a pickguard with a slanted humbucker if you have your heart set on the frankenstrat humbucker.

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
-----------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway1fan View Post
+1 my gibson spaced SD distortion on my Strat is off a bit
if you get a chance, take an overhead pic of it for reference cause the only pics i have of my pinup strat are at an angle, so you can't correctly see the strings path over the humbucker.

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

are you looking to duplicate the frankenstrat tone? It will be a little off with alder body.

Frankenstrat had an ash body.
DTrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Here is an overhead of my highway one
Attached Thumbnails
EVH Frankenstein Pickup in a Strat-image-3873168356.jpg  EVH Frankenstein Pickup in a Strat-image-1588097137.jpg  

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
-----------------------

Quote:
Here is an overhead of my highway one
dayum! i don't remember mine being off that much, but that old highway one does have vintage spacing and mine had modern spacing.

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratphobic

dayum! i don't remember mine being off that much, but that old highway one does have vintage spacing and mine had modern spacing.
Haha yeah it's bad lol. Both my tuxedo Strat and Stella are vintage spaced and muffin is modern.

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

yeah the spacing is way off. Do the Highways have a wider spacing than the mim strats?
DTrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTrain
yeah the spacing is way off. Do the Highways have a wider spacing than the mim strats?
It's called vintage spacing. My MIM also has it.

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
-----------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTrain View Post
the pre-upgrades like his have vintage 2 7/32" spacing, but the upgraded ones have modern spacing.

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
-----------------------

Quote:
My MIM also has it.
are you sure about that?

Old October 17th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTrain View Post
are you looking to duplicate the frankenstrat tone? It will be a little off with alder body.

Frankenstrat had an ash body.
Thanks, I don't really care about such nuances, I just want something that's going to sound close and the EVH pickup seems like a good choice.