Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member!

MEXICAN vs. AMERICAN!!!!!!

Ok guys Im new and Im sure there have been previous threads with such topic... BUT ... Ive owned two Mexican Strats for 10 years now. I want a BRAND NEW STANDARD AMERICAN. Are they worth the $$$?????? Thanks for all your input!!!

Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

If you think it is worth the money then it is worth the money. Go and try some out to see what you think.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

The RIGHT strat is well worth the money finding it is the problem

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member!

I guess what I wana know is if anyone who owns a Brand New Standard if they are happy. Cuz yes Ive played so many strats my head could explode. Mexi and American. I just dont want to drop 1000+ and it not live up to my Mexican Strats. I have played Americans that have blown my Mexicans away and they were Older Strats.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Send a message via Yahoo to elementlax
its all preference bro
the MIA necks are thicker, so if you like the MIM neck dont do it

Cybernations?
heres mine
http://www.cybernations.net/nation_d...tion_ID=327730

Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

heh... you're asking US if you should buy an American strat ?

Well, YES, by all means. Just play it first. The American 'Standards' blow the Mexican standards away, don't let the word 'standard' throw you...

Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

"the MIA necks are thicker, so if you like the MIM neck dont do it"

I don't think the MIA Standard necks are thick at all. Actually I haven't found any of the MIA Necks to be thick, other than my HR62 which is pretty big.

Actually all my MIM Necks are either as thick as my standard, or thicker. My CV Squier has a thicker neck than the MIA Standard as well.

"The American 'Standards' blow the Mexican standards away, don't let the word 'standard' throw you..."

I'd also disagree with this IMHO. It's totally a case by case basis. I like my MIM CP60s and my MIC CV50s more than my MIA Standard. I think it depends on what features you like and the feel of the guitar. For me - a neck makes a strat. I've got chinese strats with equal or better fretwork and feel than MIA necks I've played.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

For $1000 the VG is also in the mix.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

The nut width on today's American Strats is 1 11/16 inch. The nut width on today's Mexican Strats is 1 5/8th inch. I think this has gone on in production Strats for the last 7 years or so as far as I can tell. The American necks feel like the strings are spread out just a smidge more. It is not that dramatic to me...and I have found both Mexican & American models that I feel very comfortable on. There are all kinds of factors that make the neck feel wider (like the shape of the neck...C-Shape, V-Shape, Soft-V, D Shape....etc.). And these shape vary by model.

Play a lot of Strats and figure out what you like and don't like about them. Feel is definitely subjective....sound can be easily changed by swapping electronics. Most of the time, the setup is the biggest difference, even on the same model....older strings, intonation, simple trust rod adjustments etc. can make great Strats feel terrible. Find one you like and spend the extra money to get it properly set up by a reputable luthier.

Personally, I like the "Relic" feel of the Mexican Road Worn Series and many of the American Custom Shop Relics....the nitro finish and worn finished necks are what feel right to me.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
'd also disagree with this IMHO. It's totally a case by case basis. I like my MIM CP60s and my MIC CV50s more than my MIA Standard
Standard. not the classic series or artist models, I agree, I've had a classic 50's that was nice, but it still wasn't the guitar my american counterparts are.

the Standards are not even close to one another... not just an opinion, there are a lot of reasons there is a 600 to 700 dollar price difference.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Play Both MIA,MIM,Blind folded,,,Then pick the one thats the best for you,,,,,,,

Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptable View Post
The nut width on today's American Strats is 1 11/16 inch. The nut width on today's Mexican Strats is 1 5/8th inch.
Those are "nominal" measurements which Fender doesn't adhere to.

Just measured a bunch of MIM Teles and one MIM Strat. Average width: 2 + 43/64ths or a bit more;

Measured also three MIM American Series/Highway One Fenders. Average width:
2 + 45/64ths or a bit less.

So, were talking one thirty-second of an inch, fudged, width at the nut. This " 1 + 5/8ths " MIM neck width is pure fantasy.

I disagree with Elementlax's statement that MIA necks are thicker than MIM, if you measure the part that counts, the thickness or girth. Only the No-Caster, HR Strat, and GE Smith Tele amongst commonly found MIA Fenders is what can fairly be called large.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Mexican Strats blow American Strats away. Period! End of argument!! How do I know you ask? Because I own a Mexican JV Strat. And it's all I could afford! And I got I mine at 40 percent off, $399. It's Olympic white and it sounds better than an American made because I own it. When I put in twenty years of playing (two years here!) I'll be justified in buying that American Strat that I'll be worthy of playing. Untill then my Mexican JV is better than an American because at my skill level it sounds perfect. Me owning an American, sort of like a blind man owning a Maserati. I'll make this a road worn strat by woodshedding. American Strat owner...Someday!

Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Custom Shop Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebman View Post
The RIGHT strat is well worth the money finding it is the problem
I kind of agree with you. I think that of the 20+ guitars that I owned, at best 2 were as close to ideal as you could expect. Meaning that the only thing I could find to wine about them was operator error related. Dumb luck is a factor in finding the right guitar, as well.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit View Post
the Standards are not even close to one another... not just an opinion, there are a lot of reasons there is a 600 to 700 dollar price difference.
I can only partially agree...the MIAs are much better than MIMs, but not to the point that they really justify a $600-$700 difference IMHO. I guess it's all still too fresh in my mind--about 10-12 years ago you could get a MIM for $375 or a MIA for $750...the price difference then was $375 which made the leap to MIA seem much more sensible. Back then I actually contemplated buying an MIA; I wish I had. For now I'm just gonna stick to my Squiers I guess, which I like better than the MIM I had. Man, inflation sure has made me bitter. I'm starting to sound like my father when he talks about what things cost when he was young...

Yngwie Malmsteen "Duck" replica by Locke Custom Guitars

Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trower74 View Post
Mexican Strats blow American Strats away. Period! End of argument!! How do I know you ask? Because I own a Mexican JV Strat. And it's all I could afford! And I got I mine at 40 percent off, $399. It's Olympic white and it sounds better than an American made because I own it. When I put in twenty years of playing (two years here!) I'll be justified in buying that American Strat that I'll be worthy of playing. Untill then my Mexican JV is better than an American because at my skill level it sounds perfect. Me owning an American, sort of like a blind man owning a Maserati. I'll make this a road worn strat by woodshedding. American Strat owner...Someday!

I like the Jimmie Vaughans, also.

I will concede that certain pickups sound better with certain components, which in turn suit a particular player's style.

If what you are saying is you like certain features the Jimmie has over an American Series or Standard, I share that position, too.

I've got a couple of the Americans and a couple Jimmies - and I submit, you may find you never tire of the type of sound you get from the Jimmie Vaughan, ever. I think that's the essence of it. I acknowledge the two Am Se Strats I have a finely crafted - but guess what, I got tired of those, first. So I don't know about the blind man and the Maserati, and I don't think either one blows the other away - I just know most folks pay very dear sums for American Series/Standard/Deluxe guitars and I just hope they research the heck out of them and make sure the features are exactly what they want. Because if the features are wrong, detail and spit and polish are IMO not enough.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
New Member!

Thanks everyone for the input. I see that alot of it does have to do with what feels right and sounds right for the person. I have a sweet playing MIM and I played MIA that the feel is just as "rich". Ill continue to search the Americans till I find a good fit!

Old April 24th, 2009, 05:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I'll say after comparing the MIM and MIA over a weekend, i have an older thread with pic's. That the MIA IS the better guitar, more than the sum of it's parts. I dont get the attitude of i only play a MIM cause of my limited ability. I had a gibson les paul when i couldn't play a C chord, that guitar pushed me to be a better player. I now love strat's and after many years of mexican strat's, even one with no mexican parts apart from the neck body and pickguard, the upgrade still didn't compare to my MIA, i got to compare them in store as i traded it earlier. My wife pushed me to take the plunge and get a MIA i thank her daily. I got it just before the price increase. I said to her yesterday, my strat is the best guitar i've ever owned. And i've owned A LOT. Shop around there are stores holding some pre price increase strat's. You wont regret it. Usually the MIM is just as good group own MIM. Anyone who owns a MIA wont look to trade to a MIM unless finances say they have to.

Old April 24th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Anyone who owns a MIA wont look to trade to a MIM unless finances say they have to.
I'll agree with that. I'd never trade down on mine...

To those who thinnk the differences don't warrant the extra money, how do you put a price on better quality. Someone made a comment not long ago here, (roughly) that even if the quality is only 5% better, some people don't think the 100% increase in cost is out of line.
Haven't seen many vintage mexi models bringing purchasing price as do the USA strats.
(except the current economic situation is making ALL of them go down, it seems)

Old April 24th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Here's the thing with MIA Strats. They do use less piece's on the bodys and in some case's Two-Piece bodys like my SRV and Ash 50th 2004 Anniversary and Lonestar 01.

I like to not only look for that but also keep the weight "total" at around 7lb slightly lighter if possible.

The electronics depending on what your buying are usually significantly better. Texas Specials, and 54's in the case's as above and pearly Gates SD in the Lonestar.

I realize that many upgraded MIM models have seriously upgraded electronics like the Classic Player 60 and 50. As nice as a Strat as they are "and I own one and they smoke." They are still three-piece bodys!

As far as necks go? I'm not a real large fan of the newer American Standard/Series necks. I do think theyt are superbly built, but I kinda prefer the older Slab Board necks....Like on my SRV.

Are they worth the cash? You know more often than not if you have to ask? You probly can't afford it. But even though Fenders USA price's are getting up there. The USED MARKET seems to be still as low as it was a year ago?

I don't get where many DON'T see a difference between MIM, MIA and even to take it a step farther the American Deluxe or Signature Series. IMO the Signarure Series will put you as close to Custom Shop as you can possibly get.

IMHO the MIM STANDRAD Strats are what they are. An inexpensive cut back version of a great US electric. Though MIM does build some tasty versions of the Srat [for about the same money as a MIA Standard]. The $400 verion of a Standard IMO takes you farther away than at least I want to go. Will they sound good finished?... with upgraded Trems and electronics, nuts and Tuners? Of cousre they will.

But 4-5 piece bodys with ceramic pups. the fantasy that MIM necks are built in in the USA and inferior Trems certainly will take dollars to finish correctly. When your done...you have a Strat that cost as much as a US Used would have, and is still worth what a MIM Standard cost.

BTW there was a time when all the necks were built in the USA. Those days are far-gone and haven't been built here since the new planet opened in Mexico in the 90's.

In defense of MIM I have seen some Nashville Teles that were EXCELLENT bodys for a project, LIGHT weight and 3-pieced. But to me a Tele and Strat are very different electrics. I just don't care for three-piece bodys on Strats. Tele's don't bother me at all. OH well just my crazy opinion.

In my recent builds I've completely stayed away from MIM parts also. I just feel for the price of All-Parts MIJ...........you are recieveing far superior parts that easily equal MIA in Neck and body. I could put on NEW Slab board necks and 2-piece bodys and not have nuch invested to start.

Always been a Topic of Debate and always will.

Last edited by Strat-Man-Do; April 24th, 2009 at 10:08 AM.

Closed Thread