Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old May 25th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Korean Fender Strats

I just bought one of these on ebay and am trying to find out more about them as I haven't come across them before. Are they considered inferior to MIM and MIF. The serial number is E1046940 but oddly I cant seem to find anything on the net for this series.

Anyone know any more about Korean Fenders?

Thanks

shunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

They are Special Edition runs and not an entire line. For example the Lite Ash Strat/Tele are MIK Fenders.

There are also a LOT of fake Fenders from korea. Be carefull and check out what you intend to buy very well. You should be able to check the serial number with Fender though.

What model is it and do you have a photo?
Strat-Man-Do is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2009, 08:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I bought a Tele Lite Ash (Made in Korea) off Ebay a couple of years ago and I was very pleased with it. It is well built and has a more than acceptable neck and a good tone. I have never played a MIM or MIA Tele to compare it too, but for the bucks I was well pleased.
Gordon Short is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 25th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

I don't know what model it is but if its a fake it looks like a decent job. the rollers on the strings at the head intrigue me. Is that usual?

Old May 25th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I must say those string trees look odd and the Fender logo looks silver?. If it's any help my Tele has the serial no. on the back of the headstock, no letter just 8 numbers. it also has Made in Korea on the back of the headstock with a Gold (black outline) Fender decal on the front, does not say Telecaster! and it has a Fender neck plate.

Old May 25th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I have a Korean Special edition light ash, and I'm very happy with it.

Those rollers were probably added by the owner.

Mine also has the SN as well as Made in Korea on the back.

Also my S/N is just numbers. (no letters at all)

http://www.woodensail.com/Grotto-1_small.jpg

Last edited by Iagent; May 25th, 2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: added info
Iagent is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

I did some research and could find nothing with "E" and 7 numbers. Here is a link to where I was loking:

Guitar Nucleus - Fender Serial Numbers

http://www.woodensail.com/Grotto-1_small.jpg
Iagent is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Send a message via AIM to DimesProdigy
I also have a Korean strat, can bee seen in my Album. It is an E series like that made in 91, it also has the roller string trees. My Fender logo is also silver
DimesProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

BTW, mine looked exactly like yours before the makeover.

They are good q uality, the E series I have heard atleast.

Old May 25th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Well you learn something every day! It's a nice looking guitar whatever. Hope DimesProdigy has put your mind at rest!!

Old May 25th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Actually I forgot, must have had a brain-fart, mine is a Squier and has a silver squire where yours says fender. Underneath the Stratocaster it has Fender in black. Is yours a true Fender, or is it a Squire? My serial number is EXXXXXX, so six numbers and a letter.

Old May 25th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Nothing to question there...Its definitely legit, and the string trees are 100% original. I've seen many of them with the exact same logo and serial number/origin markings and locations. Looks like a nice one too.
joeybsyc is online now   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
Nothing to question there...Its definitely legit, and the string trees are 100% original. I've seen many of them with the exact same logo and serial number/origin markings and locations. Looks like a nice one too.
+1! Now play the hell out of it!

Old May 28th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Fender came back to me and comfirmed it was genuine and made in the mid 80s but couldnt confirm the model based on the serial number as their database only goes back to '93. I think I'll take the neck off and open it up to have a better look.

Old May 28th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Very similar headstock to my Korean Squier strat.Same Gotoh type tuners and same blackblock string trees.These come with the very early E10xxxx serial numbers [c.1987] Talked about this on another fender forum,talking about MIJ E serial no. They've got very similar necks [both v good quality].There is some dispute as to whether the very early Korean bodies and necks were actually surplus stock from Japan.In the neck pocket there should be a Kenji sticker with letters ST357 or 362,denoting wether its a57 or 62 re issue.[IMG][/IMG]
CeltRocka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Kenji sticker
CeltRocka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Good to know. My Korean sqiure is an E series(same headstock as yours Celt) and has ST-362 markings on neck and body like yours. I always thought that had to with 62 reissue, now I know. Thanks for the info

Old June 11th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
New Member!

Can't find any info on a Korean "WN" serial prefix

Hey all... Didn't even know this forum was here until I started researching this new (for me) Korean Strat! Looking forward to checking out these forums...

I just bought this 1996 50th anniversary Korean Strat Squire from an antique store (don't know why a '96 was at an antique store) for $100. Looks, works and sounds great (could use a restring as you can see), but I can't seem to find anything on the serial number:

The serial number has a 'WN' prefix, which I can't find record of anywhere - the closest I've found is an 'XN', but that's not this year or model. Any of you all happen to know anything about a 'WN' serial number?
Attached Thumbnails
Korean Fender Strats-koreanstrat_serial.jpg  Korean Fender Strats-koreastrat_body.jpg  
JJ_Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
the rollers on the strings at the head intrigue me.
They repulse me. I have the same string trees on my F-serial # MIJ Strat (circa 1987) and they stick out like gigantic warts. I have an open floor plan on the main floor of my house and the first thing I see when I walk in the door are those hideous black blocks on the headstock of my guitar. I've got a couple of metal replacement string trees that I plan to mount as soon as my guitar gets back from the shop.
Lobotomy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Smokes View Post
Hey all... Didn't even know this forum was here until I started researching this new (for me) Korean Strat! Looking forward to checking out these forums...

I just bought this 1996 50th anniversary Korean Strat Squire from an antique store (don't know why a '96 was at an antique store) for $100. Looks, works and sounds great (could use a restring as you can see), but I can't seem to find anything on the serial number:

The serial number has a 'WN' prefix, which I can't find record of anywhere - the closest I've found is an 'XN', but that's not this year or model. Any of you all happen to know anything about a 'WN' serial number?
W denotes the manufacturing plant, unfortunately i can't find any records of Squier manufacturing plants with a W prefix, the N5 denotes that the guitar was (probably) manufactured in 1995.