Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old January 20th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Roller nut

Please HELP!!! I wanna install an lsr roller nut on a custom strat... They dont seem to have black .. They only have chrome. So my alternative is to get a wilkinson black roller nut to match my hardware but will i have to route the neck anyway? Do i have to cut a piece of wood out or jus pop it in?
Appreciate the help!

kh202white is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

you do know they do not just "drop in" .... installation requires a very precise recutting of the nut slot... forward. towards the first fret.... screw it up and your neck becomes gaabidge,,,,

Ron Kirn

"When you want to help people, you tell them the truth, when you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear." Dr. Thomas Sowell
Ronkirn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
PolyMayerMaple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronkirn View Post
you do know they do not just "drop in" .... installation requires a very precise recutting of the nut slot... forward. towards the first fret.... screw it up and your neck becomes gaabidge,,,,

Ron Kirn
are you offering to fly up there and do it for him? you are a kind and generous man, mr kirn!
Lua1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 20th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Damn is it hard like can i mess up the neck badly ive never did any neck cutting or such .. I dont wanna mess a brand new neck up

Old January 20th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
PolyMayerMaple

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh202white View Post
Damn is it hard like can i mess up the neck badly ive never did any neck cutting or such .. I dont wanna mess a brand new neck up
you should find a good tech and have them do it. im all for learning to do things on your own, but i wouldnt learn something this highstakes on a new, nice guitar that you are worried about.
Lua1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

True but they charge out the ass!! Haha i had to pay 20 bucks for em to solder 2 wires but its worth it cuz i wanna make my own strat etc.

Old January 20th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

kh202white.

I swear by LSR roller nuts. Have two strats outfitted with them. Don't sweat the color. Forget the Wilkerson. Find a qualified professional guitar tech to do the install, preferably one who is familiar with the LSR!

good luck

Old January 20th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Roller nuts are overkill. A well lubricated bone or synthetic bone nut will be just as good.
BHighkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHighkin View Post
Roller nuts are overkill. A well lubricated bone or synthetic bone nut will be just as good.
True that traditional nuts can get the job done, it's just that LSR's, AFAIK, require much less maintenance because all mechanical friction elimination is inherently built into the nut itself and not added after the fact.

To the OP, you can always consider a Graphtech TUSQ nut. They are made partially from teflon and can give you a traditional look (and install) but decrease maintenance required to maintain a good slippery nut.
borismcorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Notch's in nuts if cut correctly, are cut to fit the gauge of the strings being used. Do they offer roller nuts for guys who are tuning down, and using big strings? Are they available for light top, heavy bottom strings? If the string doesn't rest against the bottom of the roller, then there is an air gap beneath it. Does that sound like a good idea?

I guess you can tell I'm not much of a roller nut fan.
Gene Warner
repairman
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2012, 12:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
But I digress

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwolf View Post
Notch's in nuts if cut correctly, are cut to fit the gauge of the strings being used. Do they offer roller nuts for guys who are tuning down, and using big strings? Are they available for light top, heavy bottom strings? If the string doesn't rest against the bottom of the roller, then there is an air gap beneath it. Does that sound like a good idea?

I guess you can tell I'm not much of a roller nut fan.
Gene Warner
repairman
LSR roller nuts accept .008" to .056" so, yes they're for guys dropping in big strings and detuning and, unlike the nut with a cut slot, they're for guys pulling out the big strings and going back to smaller strings with standard tuning.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's junk.

To the OP, the LSR nut isn't shiny chrome, it's more of a matte finish, it really won't stick out that bad. Go to a shop that sells Strats with them installed and take a look for yourself.

I consider myself to be fairly handy with tools, a master of more than a few if I may humbly add, and I wouldn't dream of installing an LSR or Wilkinson nut myself. There comes a point where you have to be realistic about what you can do and what you can't and when it comes to irreparable damage to something that runs into a decent chunk of cash, it's better to pay a pro to do it right the first time.
"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course... the computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to end". --Douglas Adams
madmat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2012, 12:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHighkin View Post
+1. Just like Floyds, Kahlers and the like. So unnecessary.

Old January 21st, 2012, 08:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
is it hard like

No it's not hard LIKE . . . it is genuinely actually hard... if you do not know how to do it..., you don't do ya, and you don't have the tools either, ya don't do ya... screwing with the nut placement without knowing exactly what you are doing is a sure-fire way of ruining your neck.

If you are off by just a few thousandths of an inch, the guitar, once tuned will be out of tune on every note fretted... If that's not a problem, it's not for some, then go for it... however you might wanna take note, a "few thousandths" is the difference between a precision router bit at 75 bux and a Home Depot special or "Discount Bits.Com" bit.. at 7.95.

Since I would think you would like to "improve" you guitar, converting it to one that cannot be played, generally isn't thought of as an improvement.... I would move on to "plan B".. leaving well enough alone...

Now let me share some wisdom my Dad drilled into me about 50 years ago.. and it sounds like a smart ass comment... but I value it, I have shared it with my Kids and grand Kids.... And I would love to have him "get in my face" and say it just one more time...

"Stupidity is a choice.. it is completely different from Ignorance. As a Parent it is my responsibility to see to it that you're not ignorant... I have executed that responsibility.

Now that you are informed, the ball's in your court. You get to decide. if you choose to ignore perfectly valid information, you're stupid. You made the choice."

rk

"When you want to help people, you tell them the truth, when you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear." Dr. Thomas Sowell
Ronkirn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2012, 10:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwolf View Post
...... Do they offer roller nuts for guys who are tuning down, and using big strings? Are they available for light top, heavy bottom strings?
Gene,

Good thoughts. Never thought of the LSR from this perspective. I use 10s so these concerns above are not factors for me. They were installed by Fender and have never given me any problems. For my playing I love the LSR roller nuts. My tele has a bone nut!

Old January 21st, 2012, 11:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronkirn

No it's not hard LIKE . . . it is genuinely actually hard... if you do not know how to do it..., you don't do ya, and you don't have the tools either, ya don't do ya... screwing with the nut placement without knowing exactly what you are doing is a sure-fire way of ruining your neck.

If you are off by just a few thousandths of an inch, the guitar, once tuned will be out of tune on every note fretted... If that's not a problem, it's not for some, then go for it... however you might wanna take note, a "few thousandths" is the difference between a precision router bit at 75 bux and a Home Depot special or "Discount Bits.Com" bit.. at 7.95.

Since I would think you would like to "improve" you guitar, converting it to one that cannot be played, generally isn't thought of as an improvement.... I would move on to "plan B".. leaving well enough alone...

Now let me share some wisdom my Dad drilled into me about 50 years ago.. and it sounds like a smart ass comment... but I value it, I have shared it with my Kids and grand Kids.... And I would love to have him "get in my face" and say it just one more time...

"Stupidity is a choice.. it is completely different from Ignorance. As a Parent it is my responsibility to see to it that you're not ignorant... I have executed that responsibility.

Now that you are informed, the ball's in your court. You get to decide. if you choose to ignore perfectly valid information, you're stupid. You made the choice."

rk
Yeh im gonna keep the graph tech nut ... Maybe ill have guitar center install it for me... But def not me sounds way to hard thanks!!

Old January 21st, 2012, 01:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Don't do it! I have owned Strats in the past with roller nuts and found they are "Tone Robbers". As stated above a well cut and lubed bone or synthetic nut works just as well. All my Strats have bone nuts...I'm ultra picky about tone and would never consider any type of roller nut. With a roller nut the tone is thinner with a more metallic flavor...not my thing. I have played Strats since the 1960's and find bone is the very best nut material bare none.
Frogger is offline   Reply With Quote