Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum (http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Stratocaster Discussion Forum (http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/stratocaster-discussion-forum/)
-   -   aggressive bridge humbucker (http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/stratocaster-discussion-forum/149171-aggressive-bridge-humbucker.html)

Rollin Hand February 16th, 2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kakastrat (Post 842766)

Well, that might be difficult -- The Frankenstrat had an old Gibson pickup in it, wax potted, and hard-mounted to the boy. It was also made of ash, and not alder. As well, any song with out trem work in it was most likely the old shark guitar, which was an Ibanez Explorer copy made of korina.

If you want that type of warm, enveloping sound but with a bit more aggression, I am going to recommend this pickup:

Alnico Fat Pat Boutique Humbucker Black

I have one in my VH1 tribute guitar, and it sounds big, warm and full, but it has a much higher output than an old alnico 2 PAF.

Then there's this one:

VEH- Vintage Extra Hot- Black- The BROWN SOUND!

Everything I have heard of it suggests it's more trebly than I like, but it might work with alder.

Good luck!

Robins February 16th, 2012 02:14 PM

Here´s the Suhr Doug Aldrich pickup in action.
Guitar into amp.

Cheers,
Robin

Kakastrat February 16th, 2012 04:19 PM

the body of the kramer was alder

I realized when you put the SD sh-1 59 in the bridge Position
Although he have less output than the JB its sound more punch and agressive

stevierayfan91 February 16th, 2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kakastrat (Post 846175)

Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59 with Van Halen Famous Licks - YouTube

hey, man
So you are thinking the 59 might work best for your needs, since it still has clarity when rolled back?

Like it sounds nice an punchy with overdrive, but also if your doing like the cleaner sounding stuff such as tapping where you want the notes to ring out evenly, it does that well too?

That's a good choice, I think :) .

madmat February 16th, 2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

The Kramer was after the Frankenstrat and the chopped up explorer copy. He didn't start using Kramer guitars until the early to mid '80's.

I just listened to that vid, man that is shrill.

Kakastrat February 17th, 2012 07:38 AM

waht you think its a good idea to put SD sh-1 59 in the bridge?

Rollin Hand February 17th, 2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Some also think the body of the Kramer was poplar or basswood. No one truly knows, but Kramer did mostly alder bodies, so you could very well be right. At any rate the tones you mention came way, way before the Kramer, as madmat noted.

I wouldn't go by that video. It sounds like he recorded it straight from a distortion pedal into his computer -- the tone is horrid.

madmat February 17th, 2012 10:42 AM

If you like it, go for it. Ultimately it's your guitar, you're the one who is going to live with it.

If it was me? Nope, In that vid it sounds too shrill, like a banshee wailing. Of course that's why I don't like most single coils too so there you go.

madmat February 17th, 2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollin Hand (Post 847090)
Some also think the body of the Kramer was poplar or basswood. No one truly knows, but Kramer did mostly alder bodies, so you could very well be right. At any rate the tones you mention came way, way before the Kramer, as madmat noted.

I wouldn't go by that video. It sounds like he recorded it straight from a distortion pedal into his computer -- the tone is horrid.

I had a Pearly Gates in a Strat and it pretty much sounded like that. Hated it so bad I got rid of the guitar.

Kakastrat February 17th, 2012 08:59 PM

i think i go for the jb

what to put in the neck and the middle?

SD SSL-1
SD Antiquity Texas Hot
CARVIN AP11
CARVIN S60A

madmat February 17th, 2012 10:29 PM

Going with the JB I'd look into two of these, tapped and a RW/RP for the middle: Hot for Strat SSL-3 - Seymour Duncan High Output

You can tap them for lower output and split the bridge and still get a more vintage Strat type of vibe. Running wide open you won't get such a drastic drop in output as you would with a strictly vintage output single coil.

stevierayfan91 February 17th, 2012 11:54 PM

should he maybe also consider this one?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...11_custom_cus/

madmat February 18th, 2012 12:20 AM

He listed it as a choice in his first post. Everyone keeps pointing to the JB. Well, most everyone.

Kakastrat February 18th, 2012 08:27 AM

the H Will have the option to be split by switch
What is the difference between SSL-1 and SSL-3?

i want vintage sound like hendrix/gilmour/frusciante when i split the H

madmat February 18th, 2012 11:39 AM

The HB is 4 wire so it'll split by putting a ground to the series link with a switch. The SSL-1 is a vintage output SC, the SSL-3 is a high output SC. If you get tapped SSL-3's you can tap them with the same switch you split the HB with and get vintage output from them as well. That way you can go from a full on rock machine to a vintage vibe at the flip of a switch.

The reason I suggested the SSL-3's is so when you're running the JB at full output, you won't have a huge drop in output when you go from the bridge position to one of the SC's in the middle of a song. You'll still have some loss because they're not as hot as a full blown HO humbucker but instead of being 1/2 (or so) of the output of the bridge it'll be closer.

Kakastrat February 18th, 2012 12:23 PM

so to buy the JB with 4 Conductor
and What is the difference between SH-4 JB and TB-4 JB Reverse?

madmat February 18th, 2012 12:29 PM

SH-4 is standard spaced for Gibson style spacing while the TB-4 is a Trembucker with spacing for a Fender. I'd get the TB-4. As to the Reverse designation... that's a good question. It might have something to do with noise canceling when split and running with a single coil on in the in between position.

I'd call SD on Monday and ask them directly, they'd know for sure what you'd need with your setup.

Kakastrat February 18th, 2012 12:42 PM

I read somewhere that the TB-4 is used for guitars with a Tremolo , whereas the SH-4 is for fixed bridges

so in my strat i have Floyd rose maybe the TB-4 is The Right Choice

madmat February 18th, 2012 12:53 PM

Yep, that's what you'll want. I had an American Deluxe that a former owner had put a normal spaced Pearly Gates in and the strings were right at the outer edges of the E poles. Didn't make a difference in sound but looked odd.

Kakastrat February 18th, 2012 12:57 PM

My problem with this pickup is that I do not know if he has enough punch and bottom

about the neck and the middle

I'm still debating between

SD SSL-1
SD SSL-3
SD Antiquity Texas Hot

or maybe
SD Antiquity II surf