Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old February 16th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

fret wear cause?

Hi everyone.
I have a strat that was refretted last year. I keep it in a Fender molded plastic "chainsaw" style case. Anyway I noticed there is the start of fretwear on the 1st and second fret on the G string. I don't think I would have been able to put that kind of pressure on just that particular area of the fretboard in one year. My thought is that the case might be too snug? Anyone have any thoughts on this? I have a full sized case that I'm switching back to just to be safe.

obsessed76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Could be that the fret sits up more there and therefore wears more in that area. Have a good tech check it out.
Stratoskater is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

It's probably because you play a lot in that area, if that isn't right then IDK.
stratomaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 16th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

It's highly unusual that you would have fret wear on the 1st fret of the g string, it's just not used that much, unless the nut is cut high and your pressing down real hard on bar chords?

On the other hand, the second fret g string is very common and can get deep quick usually due to bending the g string, it's the first place my frets start to wear.
srvwannab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Your case could indeed be the cause of the fret problem. I have seen several types of problems caused by ill fitting cases over the years.

Sometimes you can tell where the pressure on the guitar is when the case is closed, by inspecting the top of the case where the plush padding is. Often one end or the other of the guitar sits so high when in the case, that it gets pushed against the lid very hard.

Strings under more pressure than what is received during normal playing, can actually cut the frets of a guitar. This happens quite often when a guitar falls over (out of a stand maybe?), and falls face down on the floor.
Gene Warner
repairman
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote