Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old March 2nd, 2012, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strat-Talk Member

Modern player strat

Was looking for a cheap ish Squier Strat Affinity/Bullet but then saw a Modern Player Strat on YouTube has anyone got one or played one because now I'm thinking of splashing out instead because even though I'm a Tele man this looks good

bonolee07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2012, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
But I digress

They haven't appeared locally here yet, I'd like to check one out in person as well.
"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course... the computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to end". --Douglas Adams
madmat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2012, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I have the MP Jaguar. I'm pleasantly surprised. Think Classic Vibe quality and finish.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 2nd, 2012, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
But I digress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage59 View Post
I have the MP Jaguar. I'm pleasantly surprised. Think Classic Vibe quality and finish.
To be honest, if it's no better than a CV Strat I'd rather buy the CV. The CV will have alnico pickups for sure and it's $50 cheaper. Not that I'm saying the MP won't have alnico p'ups but not being able to see one in person and Fender being vague about what it does have, I'd rather not find out what it has after paying for it.
"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course... the computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to end". --Douglas Adams

Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

The modern player would probably be better than the CV if only in hardware quality. The modern player also has a humbucker for the bridge pup so you need to make sure you want that.
zbbfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Oh, so they call the pups "Modern Player Strat pickups" who knows what that is. They could be the same ones they put on the bullet for all we know!
zbbfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbbfan View Post
The modern player would probably be better than the CV if only in hardware quality. The modern player also has a humbucker for the bridge pup so you need to make sure you want that.
Back to back, I see no advantage with the Modern Player over the CV. Similar parts, or similar level of quality, when what makes a CV that extra something is the fit and finish of the fretwork, mostly, and "US Vintage Style" reference points.

Coming out of 2 wholly different plants, the CV doesn't get the Fender label but gets "proven" design features. The Modern Player gets the fancy Fender label, but the design features are more experiment and not vintage so much.

++

++

To the O P, I would recommend the Modern Player to someone who has a real indelible idea of what a Strat is and how to make it work for a guy. You have to "learn" the ins and outs of the Strat, whilst also being on the lookout for whatever unusual attributes this different product is gonna throw at any and all Strat players who pick one up. Let someone else carry the weight, buy a proven winner.
Boris Bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

huh? It's a Strat, made by fender, with a humbucker and a coil tap! If you want vintage go for CV sure, but versatility wise...and as far as sound im sure for the price its quality. Whether its your cup of tea or the CV is better is all personal pref. Though personal preference is what makes one say certain Bullet strats sound as good as any Mexican. I dunno tho...I didnt really care for the bullet i had but I played a couple that were set up nice and they were great....I'd say go for whichever fits what you are looking for in a strat.
5econd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 01:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

hey i just googled it and Amazon as well as Music123 and all the others of the same company (guitar center and musiciansfriend are owned by the same people arent they?) samash and soon it looks like AmericanMusicalsupply all do or will soon carry them. Silverburst (pretty sweet modern look) or Olympic White (imo a nice vintagey finish!) So hopefully we'll more of them in local shops soon!

Old March 3rd, 2012, 01:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
But I digress

GC has them in stock, has had since the beginning of last month. What they don't have, so far, is any in store.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 01:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

I played a couple the other day. I think that they were close to CVs in terms of quality, but not quite there. Overall, very nice guitars for the money.
LeftyBlake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyBlake View Post
I played a couple the other day. I think that they were close to CVs in terms of quality, but not quite there. Overall, very nice guitars for the money.
Lefty, in your opinion, are the pups alnico's or ceramic? Does anyone know offhand?
My GC has had a couple of the MP guitars but not the Strat or the Marauder. I bought one of the Thinline Deluxes and am pretty sure they're alnico. They really sing. I had a PRS Soapbar a few years ago and didn't get half as much response from them as these on the MP.

Just from the price I would think they'd fall into the MIM catagory but that's why I'm asking.

From my end, I find the Thinline to be every bit as good as the CV's. Almost seem like they're from the same factory but I understand they're not. On the downside, I've been having some issues with my year old CV50 Tele that I'm not happy about but that's another story.
At the prices we're talking about I guess you can only expect so much.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

You know I want to care about ceramic or alnico, I really do. And I think there is a difference...I do. But I tried several MIMs (ceramic right?) over several CV's and the MIMs blew me away every time! The Cv's were great, don't get me wrong...but I remember doing this on several occasions and my first thought was that Fender is the only company were in a lot of cases I can actually get what I pay for. Now I've heard of QC issues here and there but as far as experience with all Ive played some tend to be great and a few just good. Anyway sorry to rant. This is why the last probably 6 guitars Ive picked up have been fenders.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 12:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5econd View Post
You know I want to care about ceramic or alnico, I really do. And I think there is a difference...I do. But I tried several MIMs (ceramic right?) over several CV's and the MIMs blew me away every time! The Cv's were great, don't get me wrong...but I remember doing this on several occasions and my first thought was that Fender is the only company were in a lot of cases I can actually get what I pay for. Now I've heard of QC issues here and there but as far as experience with all Ive played some tend to be great and a few just good. Anyway sorry to rant. This is why the last probably 6 guitars Ive picked up have been fenders.
I have no argument with ceramic pups myself. I had a 07 MIM Strat I bought new and played the crap out of it. But as a 60th birthday present to myself I decided to get a Am Standard. For several reasons; 22 frets, graduated tuners, beautiful SB finish, 2-point trem, and lots of other stuff I like that just happens to come on an Am Stand.
And alnico or not those pups just sound huge compared to anything else I've ever played.
But you're right about ceramic. They're sweet.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 12:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

If the P90s in my MP Jaguar are ceramic, they sure sound nice...

Old March 3rd, 2012, 01:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Bubbanov View Post
Coming out of 2 wholly different plants, .........
I have been reading on some other forums the CV and MP guitars come out of the same plant.

I can't confirm but I've seen the Farida, owned by GREE factory mentioned.

farida

The Classic Vibe serial #'s start with CGSxxxxx.......the Modern Players CGFxxxxxx.

I don't know if I am allowed to link to another forum, but on a bass forum someone posted pics of the necks comparing the CV to the MP. They look really similar to me.

OK, I didn't see any rule that says I can't.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/fen...p-bass-837510/

Last edited by slowesthand; March 3rd, 2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: add link
slowesthand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 01:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randypttt View Post
Lefty, in your opinion, are the pups alnico's or ceramic? Does anyone know offhand?
My money is that they are ceramic. The reason I say this is because if Fender isn't listing them as Alnico, then they're probably not. Alnico pickups are generally regarded as superior, so every guitar maker will capitalize on that.

But there are lots of good sounding ceramic pickups out there. The stock ceramic bridge pickup in my Tele sounds awesome. I've thought about changing it and experimenting, but I really like the way it sounds as is.
LeftyBlake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 02:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
I have been reading on some other forums the CV and MP guitars come out of the same plant.

I can't confirm but I've seen the Farida, owned by GREE factory mentioned.

farida

The Classic Vibe serial #'s start with CGSxxxxx.......the Modern Players CGFxxxxxx.

I don't know if I am allowed to link to another forum, but on a bass forum someone posted pics of the necks comparing the CV to the MP. They look really similar to me.

OK, I didn't see any rule that says I can't.

Fender MP Jag vs. Squire Classic Vibe P-Bass? - TalkBass Forums
Mark Davis on the TDPRI Tele forum actually knows someone working in the Squier CV factory in China. He says it's a different factory for the MP. You can check out his posts over there if you need more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyBlake View Post
My money is that they are ceramic. The reason I say this is because if Fender isn't listing them as Alnico, then they're probably not. Alnico pickups are generally regarded as superior, so every guitar maker will capitalize on that.

But there are lots of good sounding ceramic pickups out there. The stock ceramic bridge pickup in my Tele sounds awesome. I've thought about changing it and experimenting, but I really like the way it sounds as is.
Thanks lefty

Old March 5th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage59 View Post
The Modern Players that I have played are higher in quality than the CVs. And they don't have that thick coating on the necks.
bugo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by randypttt View Post
Lefty, in your opinion, are the pups alnicos or ceramic? Does anyone know offhand?
My GC has had a couple of the MP guitars but not the Strat or the Marauder. I bought one of the Thinline Deluxes and am pretty sure they're alnico. They really sing. I had a PRS Soapbar a few years ago and didn't get half as much response from them as these on the MP.
I'm pretty sure the Marauder has ceramic pickups. I'd be shocked if it didn't. But I wouldn't change a thing about the way they sound.
bugo is offline   Reply With Quote