Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts lacemusic.com seymourduncan.com

Go Back   Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum > Main Stratocaster Guitar Discussion Forum > Stratocaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stratocaster Discussion Forum The Strat-talk.com Fender Stratocaster Discussion Forum

Old March 14th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
New Member!

I did make a 'vintage' sticker from a non-descript music store. I had my Weller soldering pencil out, so I fired up Pages and made a sticker that says "Weller Music Co Inc - Brooklyn NY CL5-2120" and made it look OLD. That's working fine, but still underneath is that blasted Made in Mexico. It's an obsession.

GuyWithGuitars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

If it bothers you then I would suggest "relicing" it off. It is a Road Worn after all so make it look like part of the "Road Worn".
pchilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

It's a Road Worn, blast it off with a grinder and be done with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbeast View Post
You have sand the entire back of the headstok and refinish later to make it look good. Not a major job. If you sand just the small area it will be hard to make it math with tinted lacquer.
^^^Seriously though this is the right answer, take the finish off of the entire flat part of the back of the headstock. Then when you refinish try to match it up one coat at a time as close as possible.
srvwannab is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 14th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #24 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

You are supposed to be checking out the chicks, not the back of your guitar headstock.
Gene Warner
repairman
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
Strat-O-Master

Remember it's your guitar & you do with it whatever you want. Go to Guitar Reranch, order a can of neck amber & a can of clear coat. Then do what everbody else suggested & use some 800 or so grit sandpaper & remove the finish off the entire back. Spray thin coats of the amber til it matches then clear coat it....
OldtimeR&R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #26 (permalink)

why not just get a REAL strat ?

Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Just cut the headstock off, that should solve the problem of that pesky serial number.

rcolesooner's Channel
rcole_sooner is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #28 (permalink)
Most Honored Senior Member

A Road Worn will probably never have any kind of collectible value, and since they come from the factory already trashed and needing a refinish, I don't think that grinding off the serial number will hurt anything EXCEPT that it may make it difficult to sell at all in the future, because people may not be sure it isn't stolen or a fake.
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

First, document high quality photos of the it (include different angles, and closeup of serial number details, guitar body relic areas, etc.). Then, save the photos in Ft. Knox. This will help you with a potential sale in the future when a prospective buyer starts scratching their head at the lack of a serial number. It might help you sell it someone like me!
Namelyguitar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #30 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithGuitars View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has had success with removing the Made in Mexico and serial number from the back of a headstock of a Road Worn Strat. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to deceive anybody it's just that having a glaring MADE IN MEXICO and modern serial number on a guitar that replicates a vintage Strat is just nasty, IMHO. I know there is a finish over the decal but is the WOOD tinted or is the FINISH tinted for the vintage vibe?

So, before you answer, I'm not looking for personal opinion on taking the MIM and serial number off. I'd prefer not to have it. Fender could have easily made the logo removable OR relocated the serial # and country of origin to an undisclosed location.
Don't really see your point. Who cares where the serial # is. The only reason I see for removing it is to deceive someone in the future. The same with fake Fender decals.

Fender USA Roadhouse Stratocaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
midwestfisherma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #31 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Sand it off and refin with clear laquer. I thought about this one too. Could get the serial stamped on the nek plate? If you do it post your results I'd be keen to see how it ends up
ravenstrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #32 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Man, it must be hard playing that thing, knowing it's from Mexico.
BobbyS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfisherma View Post
Don't really see your point. Who cares where the serial # is. The only reason I see for removing it is to deceive someone in the future. The same with fake Fender decals.
So would you prefer the vin number to be permanently stamped on the hood of your car where it's easy to see? Just about everything else you can think of has that sort of thing in a discrete location, maybe Fender should stamp it on the heel and pocket. I could care less where it's made, but that stamp is kind of ugly on the back of the headstock and it is a problem if you refinish.

Old March 15th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #34 (permalink)
Strat-Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvwannab View Post
So would you prefer the vin number to be permanently stamped on the hood of your car where it's easy to see? Just about everything else you can think of has that sort of thing in a discrete location, maybe Fender should stamp it on the heel and pocket. I could care less where it's made, but that stamp is kind of ugly on the back of the headstock and it is a problem if you refinish.
Apples and oranges, plus since they don't stamp the vin # on a hood of a car your argument makes no sense. Bottom line if you don't like where they stamp it buy something else. But if you do remove it don't come btichin' when you try to sell it and it won't sell because you removed the serial #.

Fender USA Roadhouse Stratocaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
midwestfisherma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 02:48 AM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfisherma View Post
Apples and oranges, plus since they don't stamp the vin # on a hood of a car your argument makes no sense. Bottom line if you don't like where they stamp it buy something else. But if you do remove it don't come btichin' when you try to sell it and it won't sell because you removed the serial #.
I'm just saying there's no reason to have it there other than convenience, but some people think it looks ugly, they aren't out to rip anybody they just don't like it there, and many thieves wouldn't even know it exists if it wasn't so obvious, so not the best place, it should be stamped into the heel and pocket as well...then it wouldn't matter if somebody refinishes it.

Old March 15th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #36 (permalink)
But I digress

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvwannab View Post
it should be stamped into the heel and pocket as well...then it wouldn't matter if somebody refinishes it.
Aside from the fact that 99% of people would never think to pull their guitar apart to record the serial number.
"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course... the computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to end". --Douglas Adams
madmat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 07:09 AM   #37 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

Thumbs down.

BE WARNED Strat-Talk Gives you GAS
Tee H C is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #38 (permalink)

Troll thread - troll thread!!!!!!!!!

The serial number is there so that thievs won't mistake your guitar from a Fender Stratocaster and risk going to jail for nothing
jflintmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

I always recommend using one of these when folks want to fuss with perfectly good trademarked logos and decals...

Old March 15th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Stratmaster

60 grit sand paper and a belt sander oughta do it.